Options

Popular Photos, How Do They Work?

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited March 12, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I am so frustrated with popular photos. How do I see how many "thumbs up" a photo has? It swear every few days which photos are popular seem to get all scrambled up. There is no way things are moving around that quickly.

So, how about some transparency in the app? What makes a popular photo popular? How many thumbs up does a photo have to get to be popular? Can I modify the number of votes it takes over a certain time period to change what is considered popular? Can I change the maximum number of popular photos?

For what it is worth, "popular photos" doesn't seem to match _at all_ what the stats say are the most popular. How about "most viewed" or "most commented?" What about most unpopular photos are so we can discover which ones people think are stinkers?

This is one of the main ways people interact with my SM site. I'd sure like to figure this out. Help pages, anything? Please help a feller photographer out.
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Visitors can vote and comment on photos and that influences the photo rank:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93248-search-browse
    There are many factors influencing the photorank, but besides what's described on the help page, we don't give out any more details.

You can't see how many votes a photo received. Once a photo has been voted or commented on, it may appear in the SmugMug global populars and thus may be seen and voted on by visitors to the SmugMug browse section:
    www.smugmug.com/browse
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Okay. I hear ya. Is there any functionality similar to "popular photos" for those of us who do not wish to participate in the larger "browse" community? Can I create a "top 40 most viewed" or "most viewed in last 30 days" gallery?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    That's not an option we offer right now. You could add it to our feedback pages:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
    Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero