Options

1 Year Old and Family (I...don't like children...)

rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited March 8, 2012 in People
I just disappointed myself horribly this week. My signifcant other spread the word at their work place about my photography, because I thought I was competent enough to handle people actually wanting their photos taken instead of just doing "on the fly" type of shoots, and, well, I feel bad now.

I'm not too pleased with these photos. I think that I could have done better, but I don't know if I realistically could or not, because I can't think of much that I could have done differently to get different results. Kind of pitiful. :(

On top of that, I dislike children...I know that makes me sound like a horrible person, but I really...do. I don't have kids, have never been around them, and don't plan to have them so I'm not really sure how to handle them in any aspect, especially photographically. Is it wrong if I put a "no children under *this age*" clause in my agreement before taking pictures? lol

6801515458_6967c99e51_z.jpg

6801512668_c580dd7afa_z.jpg

6801519272_eda8744762_z.jpg

6947737055_eef83d43f7_z.jpg

6947625181_6f62806fd8_z.jpg

I had to MAJORLY crop this one. It was the only good family shot of them, but I couldn't diffuse the light across their entire bodies. It's basically about 3MP now. :(

6947628093_9e1e7b38d7_z.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Maybe we should become partners. I LOVE the kids, have tons of fun with them and find they refresh my spirit.

It's the PARENTS I hate! :Drolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I can't/don't want to work with kids either. It's so painful for me!

I think that 1, 2, and 5 are pretty successful... I really love #5 :) The expressions on 3 and 4 and your position (slightly above) are less appealing. For the family shot... have you worked it in Lightroom? It might be a good idea to add a little fill light and see if that helps anything.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Here is some advice for those of you who need to do shoots with young children and aren't fond of the process. This advice is meant for shooting kids between the ages of 1 and 3. Sometimes it works with kids as old as 5, but by then you'll have to really wow them.

The most important advice is that you need to be willing to act silly. If you can't act silly you'll have one heck of a time getting great kid shots. If you need to practice it, watch more late night comedies or something. If you can't be silly, bring someone who can act silly who can stand right behind you. It is far better if you act silly though. It is your job. Woman up and get silly. Now on to the list:

* Don't start out acting off the wall goofy, that's just strange. Build up to it.
    * Don't fight them. You won't win. Just be ready to catch what they throw at you. You may find it requires split second timing.
    * Don't ask them to do anything. They won't do it. You'll waste your time if you try.
    * Do not get frustrated. Or, if you are, be really careful not to show it. Body language and tone of voice are important when communicating with children. Don't miscommunicate with your subject.
    * Patience is key. You'll find it is challenging. You need to quiet your inner creative spirit, slow down a bit, and keep trying. Keep putting the kid back in place, etc.
    * Remember your stamina is much longer than a young child's. Each child is different. With some, you'll get a solid 20 minutes from them. Others, more like 3 minutes. You need to plan on frequent breaks.
    * Get down on their level. Don't bend over. Kneel, sit, or lay down. That is "play" language.
    * Look them in the eye, smile, and engage just them. Read their body language. Mom & Dad may be paying the bills, but right now you need to ignore anything they say. Your focus is on the child.
    * Bring a stupid prop if you need to. Nothing gets 'em rolling like when the crazy photographer pulls out the purple whig. "Oh my goodness! Where did this thing come from!?! [put on whig] OH MY STARS! I HAVE PURPLE HAIR! WHAT IS WRONNGGG WITH MY HAAIIRRRR!?!" Be ready to snap away!
    * Ask Mom and Dad what their favorite TV character is before hand. Say things like "Did you know that [Barney] has a home in this camera? You can see him when you look right in here [point to lens]. Can you see him? Oh, maybe he isn't home, look again." Be ready, and snap away.
    * If you find your young subject is afraid of the camera, let them look at Mom & Dad through the viewfinder. Make a game out of the shutter click sound. "When I press this button, you'll hear a noise. When you hear the noise, I want you to make a sound like an elephant. Can you do that? Let's do it together..."
    * Be sure Mom & Dad stay nearby, but quiet. Explain to them before hand that it is really important that YOU be the one to capture the child's attention. The kid needs to be looking at the camera, not off to the right at Mom.
    * If things start to go south, back off. After 10 minutes or so, try again. If you're still freaking them out, you may need to reschedule. Prepare parents of this possibility ahead of time. They will understand.

This is a little trick I've learned as well. You don't want to get them with a belly full of laughs. You want to get them soon after your joke, when they are looking at you anticipating your next silly antic. Let me show you a series to demonstrate (hope you don't mind rex). The below took about five minutes. I got about 40 images, 10 or so keepers. You have to work _fast_.

Dialog and pictures went something like this:

Do you like to sing? I love to sing. I heard about this song, twinkle twinkle little... something. Do you know that song?
    >Yes.
    How does it go? I can never remember. Twinkle.... twinkle... little.... huh. What is next?
    >Star!
    Oh, right! Thank you. Let me try again. Twinkle... twinkle... little... PIZZA!!!
    i-WR4ndWV-S.jpg
    Oh dear! Was that wrong? (see, keep their attention looking at you, cause this is your money shot)
    i-bSRsvDm-S.jpg
    Oh my. Let me try that again. I think I did it wrong. Twinkle... twinkle... little... PIZZA!!!
    i-zgs2PBJ-S.jpg
    Oh no! I did it wrong again!? (got her attention, money shot time)
    i-b4BndQK-S.jpg

And so it went on and on. She was in tears by the end of the session from laughing so hard. Mom was rolling as well. Remember it isn't just the images you are selling, but also the experience.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    RyanS: Best. Idea. Ever. I don't shoot little kids that often, but for when I do I am so stealing that "Twinkle Twinkle" dialog. ;)

OP I think 1 is a decent shot - this may not be your forte, but I think you managed just fine! For some of those others, can you do any head swaps to get a decent expression worked in there? Yeah, it takes time, but it can be worth it if it creates a great shot from two meh ones.

When I've been asked to shoot toddlers - definitely NOT my strong suit - I've typically just let them run around and done it more as a "lifestyle" shoot than trying to get actual portraits per se. They just won't stay put at this age, and since their response to most requests is "no", it's easier just to go with what they give you than to try and force it.

One other thing I've found helpful was a bottle of bubbles. Last itme I did this we had a VERY cranky girl as a subject - she'd refused to go down for her nap - but even with that, the bubbles were a major score....
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    there are those kids who love the camera and there are the ones who dont, theres no half way IMHO. so its easy with the ones who just do what ever you want not a lot more to said. its the the others and thats were you have to be be calm and wait for them and hopefully they get used to you and start to act there natural selves. but they can be very trying and the parents dont help either even though they think they are.
    A photographer patients of a saint required
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I think these are awfully good. Mom & dad might have wanted smiling shots, but there's no magic to making a toddler smile for a camera. Hopefully you get a few good moments or more. But as it is, you captured a different mood, and did it very well.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Ryan - great stuff. I also sing with children for a living, so that helps. Sometimes I get the family to stand behind me and sing Eensy Weensy Spider with hand motions - if nothing else, it loosens up the grown ups.

The less directing and more waiting with small kids, the better.

The best kid shots I get are when the parents back off and set me free with the kids. The worst are when the parents hover next to me - I'm waiting for a particular candid angle, and the mom suddenly says, "Johnny, look at the camera and say cheese."
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    The best kid shots I get are when the parents back off and set me free with the kids. The worst are when the parents hover next to me - I'm waiting for a particular candid angle, and the mom suddenly says, "Johnny, look at the camera and say cheese."

Yes, that'll kill it every time. it seems funny, but a lot of child photography seems to involve managing the parents more than the child. We are all guilty to some extent, I suppose.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs