Options

Should It Stay, Or Should It Go...

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 11, 2012 in People
I did a fair amount of practicing with outdoor subjects last fall. I hope to capture a bit of the senior portrait market this spring/summer. I have spent the past few evenings reviewing the outdoor sessions I photographed with the intent of deciding which poses and scenes work well and which don't.

I'm on the fence on this one. I like it, but something bothers me. Not sure what.

Your opinion please. Should it stay as a pose or should it go.

Comments

• Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    You're on the fence...he's in the fence. Sorry couldn't help myself... Horrible puns aside, I'm not loving the shot. The whole scene feels contrived. I prefer more authentic backgrounds...this doesn't feel like a place where this guy would actually hang out.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Gotham covered it. This looks like a kiddie playground. Not compatible for a senior shot. Kiddie shot? Yes. Dad and son shot? Yep. This context? Nope.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    Thanks peoples!

Now I know what was bothering me! :D
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    A tighter crop and overlay some textture to give it some edge? Just thinking out load. My first reaction to the shot though as composed was that the hands look like puppy-dog paws.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    The grain of the wood is more in focus in some areas than the subject, it is mostly on the left side, along with the nails.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    YES!! Trudy nailed what was buggging me, even though I was struggling to figure it out. Also, there's some daylight through the wood behind him that's bright enough to pull my attention...
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I think this spot would work for a girl....with her hands on the sides of the portal kind of peeking out.
    Guys need more edge.....not so posey.....I know that makes a lot of sense :).
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    heres my view my eyes are going between his hands and face. i should be drawn straight to his face. may be a tighter crop
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    The thing that I seemed to keep getting drawn to, is the position/placement of his hands.

Something about it is off to me.
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I too find the hands very distracting and unnatural in their pose. I like the suggestion of a tighter crop and a texture layer to the background. :)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Thanks for the input everyone. Things are being "re-thunk". :D
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    Its the wrong orientation.

Try a verticle crop in a 4x5 ratio. That will put his head around the upper 1/3. Keep the circle whole, but the sides should end up near the edges of the crop.thumb.gif

I do have to agree that this location would be more appropriate for a girl.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    Very good point Jeff!

From the feedback, I agree that for boy's it's a tosser. I will revisit it for females though.

This is one I did on another visit to the park with a female. It was photographed in portrait orientation. Although I don't feel it's a stellar shot of this girl, it does work better in my mind.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I think the second works. First, she fills the space much better. Second your angle is much better. Third, the hands are much better...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I like this much better
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I'd have to agree.

May I suggest you give a bit of credence to those gut feelings on the things that might bother you? I find in many areas, design/art and suchlike in particular, that our "feelings" are really subconscious processes trying to reach from the right-brain-intuitive evaluation into the left-brain-logical.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net