Options

tried my new 70 - 200

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited March 11, 2012 in People
Finally had a chance to try out the used lens I bought from a fellow Dgrinner..! Recently I attended my first workshop, 3 hours with a local, high profile and very talented photographer.
3 years ago my friend pushed me to shoot kids because she has 3 girls . She had used the local gal once and in her mind I guess she thought she could get me for free even if I wasn't very good it was a bargain.
I remember seeing the newborn shot that gal took for my gf before I had a desire to use my camera and I was stunned as this was the first professional newborn picture I had ever really looked at. So when I picked up my camera a few years later she showed me some of that artist's work online and I laughed thinking I would never ever be able to produce anything remotely similar.

This is the photographer that ran the workshop. I now even live in the same little "town" she lives in. She showed us a video of a typical family shoot. I went out and copied what I learned from her, even went to the same park LOL. The one thing that surprised me is that she shoots these pre-sunset images with iso 800. So here is my first mini session using what I learned. My friends really like the results..
it was a quick mini session and my poor hubby was 'helping' and I don't think he will be able to come along much longer. He took the blanket I brought for my model and wore it the entire time even though he had a sweater on. And his ability to reflect the light for me was so bad I finally had him take the picture from the tripod on my command while I held the reflector. Most of you may know he has a brain disease. I am including a pull back. What I am trying to say is that these were not ideal circumstances !

i-rRs2L8h-L.jpg

i-Kj5p7ZF-L.jpg

i-wjJKVWZ-L.jpg

i-7HTFFKC-L.jpg

i-Z7M7QZS-M.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I like the one where the model is sitting. clap.gif
    Reason it works better than the rest (in my book) is simple: "correct" angle. deal.gif
    Shooting upwards/on the level for the headshots/head-and-shoulder rarely works.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Thanks Nickolai, posing and angles is my weakest area, I appreciate the tip.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Thanks Nickolai, posing and angles is my weakest area, I appreciate the tip.
    Trudy, you're welcome, I teach all that stuff, you know..:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I like 'em all, but the first one is a home run to me. I wasn't aware of the vantage point being low until Nik pointed it out; I see it now, but in that one (and #2 to some extent), the background, lighting, pose and overall feel trump the vantage point for me thumb.gif

Your processing is, as always, gorgeous. What are you using to retouch/smooth skin?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I love the second one, gorgeous model.
    The look overall a tad soft, a bit to much blur somewhere I am thinking, probably in processing.

Next time leave the reflector home, don't need one if you manage the light properly. Not worth the hassle, you can usually find natural reflections somewhere to use if you need it. Like the side of that bright building I am sure was kicking back some light.

So how did you like using the 70-200?
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Nice job throughout VayCay. Don't you just love that lens??

# 1 is epic. # 4 is also really good. I like three but I would heal out the neck wrinkles (or is that hair) that results from the angle.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Well, now ya went and did it...

I"m gonna have to spend more than I wanted to and get that lens...

Great job with the model as well as the new lens.

Which version did you go with VRI or VRII?
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Nikolai since I used a tripod for this shoot and I am not quite tall enough to be able to see if I had it any taller how can I address the from below issue? Until you pointed it out and I took a hard look I never noticed it.But now I do.

Bryce..I bought it used and I believe it is the new version, I am just terrible about certain technical stuff. I got it in Sept and the seller owned it a very short while. You need to get that lens. I wanted that for 2 years to "complete" what the pros claimed was the perfect 3some for weddings and portraits. I LOVED using it, but there is no way for me to manage it without a tripod due to the weight and my level of strength. I tried it on a carbon monopod and it swayed which shocked me.

John thanks for pointing out the neck I never even saw that , but now.... btw I am trying to watch Atlas Shrugged while doing this.

Zoomer and Diva except for hand touching under her eyes to remove dark makeup smudge I didn't use anything just for skin. I think the 800 ISO made it softer than my usual style. Diva I have a kabillion actions and I just used something that popped the whole image and I made sure to keep her fair skin very light because that is her preference. But I DID go back and sharpen her eyes.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Well, now ya went and did it...

I"m gonna have to spend more than I wanted to and get that lens...

Great job with the model as well as the new lens.

Which version did you go with VRI or VRII?

It's the VR2 and it is a Stellar piece of gear. I sold it to Trudy and have been waiting for her to use it.

Nice work Trudy! Her eyes are dazZzlin~
    tom wise
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I love #'s 1 & 2. The lighting, color and bokeh- beautiful. The vantage point doesn't bother me at all. You can find dozens of famous portraits shot from below eye level. Just google Yousuf Karsh, Cecil Beaton, Francesco Scavullo to name a few. If it works it works!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Back to the camera angles Nik mentioned....

I carry a 3 step ladder on nearlt every photo shoot. Sometimes it isnt needed, but I drag it everywhere. Its a good tool and worth the investment.

I usually require my subjects to have someone along. That someone can help with the lighting. I dont use reflectors very often, but have to have someone to keep a hand on the light stand to keep it from sailing away.

Looks like the shoot was a sucess. Nice exposures and color.thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I too am now going to have to consider the 70-200 to add to my stuff. The only nit I have about any of these is the vingette on #2 is a little too much for me. Everything else looks great!
  • Options
    AntonlmAntonlm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    These shots look great! At what focal length were the first three taken at?
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Number 2 and 3 are my favorites.
    Great colors and composition.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did you shot @ 4.5/5.6, just curious... ?
    Thanks.
    Y
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    Following the guidelines from the class I just attended and wanting to "copy" her style I used A priority and f8 on all the images. iso 800 , 90 minutes within sunset.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Following the guidelines from the class I just attended and wanting to "copy" her style I used A priority and f8 on all the images. iso 800 , 90 minutes within sunset.

Hmm... f/8 at iso 800? Doesn't make sense to me. Why not open up the lens and use drop ISO? I know you were following her lead but did you ask why she chose these setting?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    F8 was my choice, I have no idea why she used iso 800.. her images are very lovely with warm colors and not real sharp, I think it gives a softer look, that is my guess.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    I've been away for awhile and haven't read all the posts but I'm in love with 1 & 2, wish they were mine. I would like to see the exposure dropped down a tad for my taste.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012

Thanks much.
    Y.