Options

Easy way of lining up layers?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 12, 2012 in Finishing School
I recently had some portraits which needed eyeswaps (shot chosen wasn't as sharp as I'd like, although good in other ways, so I pulled eyes from another in series and pasted them in).

I did this by copy/paste of the relevant area to a new layer, reducing opacity of the layer to about 65% and then using the free transform tool to wiggle it around until it was close. But it was REALLY REALLY hard to get it exactly right.

Is there a tool or action which can help line up the relevant areas a little more accurately (and quickly!) than I can myself?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 18, 2012
    Use the Difference blend mode with your layers, diva, and use the up, down, left and right keys to finally align your layers to single pixel accuracy.

Just try it, and you will quickly see how Difference mode displays where your two layers do not align correctly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    THANKS! I'll try that next time. I actually managed it "the hard way", but I felt sure there must be a trick to make it easier. It took a really, REALLY long time to do and I'd prefer not to spend too many more future hours on these kinds of cleanup jobs rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    With some images, I open a blank layer on top and paint a bright dot on each pupil. Then use those dots to align the "transplanted" eyes underneath.
  • Options
    egieskeregiesker Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Align Layers
    Here is a way l use. Enlarge picture to 100/200/300 percent, which ever is best. Drag down a guide line from the top and one from the side to mark the spot you want to use as a target. Turn off the good layer, turn on the layer you want to align. Select the move tool, use the left/right/up/down keys to move the layer/image to the x mark. After they are aligned, using a layer mask to mask out what you don't need will finish the job! Oh and you can merge the two layers after you are satisfied. http://herman377.com egiesker@aim.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    All great suggestions - thanks!
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    try the warp-tool
    when using free transform , you see 3 icons at the top ; accept , cancel , and left of em is the warp tool
    when this tool is active , you can drag any area in your selection

really helpful and also easy

also , check that "snap to ....." is switched off
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Hi basflt - the problem wasn't how to manipulate the layer as such (I'm familiar with the various free transform tools) but figuring out how to line it up with the layer underneath; I sometimes find it quite difficult to see the layers, even with varied opacities etc. These tricks mentioned above make the job much easier thumb.gif