Options

Kaija in the Alaskan Outdoors

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited March 13, 2012 in People
Well the dreary finals months of winter are underway here in AK, which means we're getting more light every day and spring is tantalizingly close. My wife and I brought our friend Kaija out for some fun shooting, and unfortunately dropped the idea of shooting at both sunrise and sunset, which means I had to get up early on one of my few days off work. It was great fun though. :D

We used The Photographers Ephemeris which I hadn't seen before to guess a good location for the sunrise. It's an awesome tool, I'm surprised it took me so long to find it.

We headed out to the Matanuska River a bit too early for the sunrise, but we started shooting anyway, and wound up running out of warm batteries (and warm ANYTHING) just as the sun came out. Temps during this shoot were in the single digits, but Kaija is a born-and-raised Alaskan who grew up with a dogsled team and was more than happy to suffer for the shots. :D

Enjoy! And of course in the interest of improvement, feel free to pick me apart, I can always use it. The full Gallery is here for those interested: http://www.morffed.com/2012/Sunrise-to-Sunset-with-Kaija/21904939_GSKzp5

1:
Edit-01-L.jpg

2:
Edit-06-L.jpg

3: We stood around waiting for quite a while for the fog to move properly for this one.
Edit-11-L.jpg

4: The final shot from the morning shoot, just as the sun made an appearance.
Edit-14-L.jpg

For the evening, we elected to get the only higher vantage point in the Valley, on top of "The Butte" which is a short 800ft vertical hike. Kaija had knee surgery this winter and is still recovering, but you just can't beat down a good spirit and she was eager to go. The trail is practically a bobsled run, but we made it.
5:
Edit-16-L.jpg

6: Had to throw in a closer shot or two. Nikolai, the comment you are about to make about shooting angle is spot on, and thanks! :rofl Any suggestions for poses that will smooth out the neck wrinkles in a standing model when you want a mountain in the background? I've seen a few for sitting models...
Edit-19-L.jpg

7: And here's a final one as the sun sank over Mt. Susitna across the Valley. You sure can't beat the scenery in Alaska. :D
Edit-23-L.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments