Options

Colour Shades

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 14, 2012 in Technique
I use PS CS5 and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a tool to use for altering the colour shades of an image. For example an early morning shot over the sea giving it a slight blue tint. I do use the Cokin grad filters for the sky but don't have any other coloured filters for taking other shots and this is why I was wondering if it could be done in PS.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 13, 2012
    Hi Bob,

The simplest way is to use Image-> Adjustment -> PhotoFilter. I suggest using a copy of your background layer with ctrl-j first, and then run the filter. You can then adjust the filter amount via the Opacity slider.

Another method would be to create a new blank layer above your background layer by clicking on the black and white beach ball on the bottom of the Layers palette. This will give you a drop down menu offering a new empty layer with a box to choose the color you want in the new empty layer. You can then blend this color layer with the background layer in any of the routine blending modes.

Another method is to click on the black and white beach ball at the bottom of the Layers palette, and click on the Hue/Saturation tool which will open a new box in the Adjustments palette with Hue, Saturation and Lightness sliders that will let you adjust your image hue however you desire.

Or you can just use a brush with your chosen color and paint over your image with a mild opacity setting - say 10% in normal blend mode - and paint in what ever tone you need.

I ma sure there are other ways that folks will be along to suggest as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    You can also try using Adobe Camera Raw and the tint/temp sliders. ACR will ‘load’ a TIFF or JPEG if you set the preferences to do so.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    arodney wrote: »
    You can also try using Adobe Camera Raw and the tint/temp sliders. ACR will ‘load’ a TIFF or JPEG if you set the preferences to do so.

Thanks once again Pathfinder and also Arodney. I really appreciate what you have told me as this is exactly what I was looking for.
    Cheers
    Bob