Options

C/C please on Teen Model Comp Card?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited March 15, 2012 in People
Hi dgrinners! Haven't posted in a really long time but have been lurking now and then! Been busy busy trying to make a living in this wonderful business of ours :D What I was hoping for was some c/c of this comp card I did for a teen model. Haven't done many of these so maybe you all have some suggestions? These poses are the teen and her mom's favorites with a smiley one I added in because I felt that the agencies would like to see more "faces" I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much

i-3Kd69Wj-L.jpg

i-q5ML5SB-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I'm usually the guy who gets told I'm all "wrong." Fair warning, all this is my opinion.

The midriff exposed, miniskirt wearing teen model is... well. Honestly. I find it a bit too sexual. I am sure mom and model decided that was the shot, so that's the shot. Just beyond my personal sensitivities, I suppose.

Did you notice the pose on the chair and stairs is basically the same exact pose? Was there not one with a different look available? Same for the two head shots. Why two head shots? The one where she is smiling really works. With the two, it tends to create a feeling of imbalance (to me).

For the lead shot, I find too much background and not enough model. To me that should be the "holy cow!" shot. The one with her in the coat, and the one with her smiling, seem to fit that department better to me. Again, just my opinion. I think that lead shot should be like a punch in the face of beautiful expressive modeling brilliance.

So if I am all wrong, you'll want to do the exact opposite of what I'm suggesting. :D
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    My daughter does modeling and acting, so I will share some of what our agent looks for in a comp card. The goal is to showcase different looks so the potential client can see a variety. In these pics, the expression on her face is pretty much the same in each one--no variety. Our agent would not allow the exposed midriff on a teen. That is a no-no in the industry--acceptable for over 18 though not recommended, but never for under.

The quality of the images is superb, but the comp card itself wouldn't fly with our agency because there is no variety in expressions or poses.

You definitely want your 'money' shot on the front. Smiling faces generally 'sell' better than serious (but be sure to include serious also).

Your model's agent may offer different suggestions, but as long as you please Mom (and the Agent) then you are ok.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Sherry
  • Options
    canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Without considering what the agency might want, she doesn't have the figure to carry off the bare midriff shot and you should definitely hide the piercing, I don't like them anyway but it really doesn't work on her, she's so straight it looks like a splinter.

The best two I think are the smallest two, she has a good smile, don't hide it and the slightly pensive look works for her. The fur hood is good but change her expression, she should be 'closed mouth' smiling out of it.

good technically though
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Nice images, but I think you'd be best to feature your finest headshot.
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Here si a friend ours from London called Honey who has been modelling for a few years now, her photos are mich more simple and less focus on surrounding and clothing and in a model what you really essentially want is a girl who photographs well, so concentraing on the face.
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Love your cover shot.
    Don't like the hood shot, or the seated one in the middle on the bottom.
    Nice photography.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    As it has been said already, compcards are not about background, composition, lighting and other photography aspects. They are business tools that are supposed to showcase the model in a very compact form. I'm not saying that they have to be done poorly, but everything else is a distraction in this case.
    Also, there is a good reason that compcards are usually done with 3 images (headshot, upper body, full height), maximum 4.
    Given the overall requirements to compcards it's actually a fairly challenging task, as you have to fit a lot of options in so few images. Different hair styles (including no thrills one), different styles of clothing (typically including a swimsuit - not a lingerie! - as it shows the body the best), different facial expressions (and yes, smile sells:-), etc.
    My $1 worth of thoughts. mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    The first thing that jumped out at me (other than the fact that the midriff-revealing shot is overly sexual for a teen model) is that her incredible cheekbones, which you show off in the smiling pictures, are lost in the other photos. I'd love to see that bone structure shown off in the non-smiling shots too. The relatively flat lighting that you used is pretty, but I don't think it does her justice.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Thanks all for the feedback. Going to go back to the drawing board and picking photos I like and will try to repost for your opinions again! Have a great night!

Sandy
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    I took alot of your suggestions about various issues and put them all together and came up with this card. It was somewhat difficult because this girl didn't have too many "faces" She is super quiet and shy, not sure how she will fare in the modeling world like that but guess that remains to be seen! So if you would be so kind, can you let me know what you think of this one?

i-XVb7msM-M.jpg

i-gvNGXjX-M.jpg

Thanks so much dgrinners!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I think this iteration is quite effective.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    It's better, although
    • it's missing a full height shot
    • the one sitting (on the right) doesn't tell me (as an agent/customer) much of anything
    • top left and bottom middle are both headshots
    • the bottom left is too small for what it depicts
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"