Options

Replace this lens or buy a new one?

hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited March 20, 2012 in Accessories
So I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. My very trusty (and surprisingly durable) 18-55mm lens that came as the kit lens with my D50 probably 8 years ago has literally died on me. One second it was fine, the next second it was stuck at 24mm and won't allow my camera to register an f-stop. I went in to a couple places to see how much it would be to get it fixed..around $100. I can get a new one for about that price. Seems logical that I would buy a new one if the cost is the same, right? Nope! This is where the dilemma begins.

I have this 18-55mm as well as a 55-200mm. I hardly use the 55-200mm since I have a 70-300mm. I travel a fair amount, or at least usually have my camera with me when I go places, and sometimes the 18-55 is too small and the 70-300 is too big, etc. Typical problems. With my 18-55 in the graveyard, I am thinking of taking this opportunity to buy the 18-200mm VR lens I've had my eye on for a while. I can sell my 55-200mm lens for about $70. So, not only would I be saving space, but I would also now have more range in this one lens without having to switch between lenses. The 18-200 is also just a better lens.

I'm looking at this as an opportunity to upgrade, but being on a student's budget isn't always the best thing for buying new gear. Basically, I need some input. Do I take the financial hit of spending $700 on a new lens that would clearly benefit me in my travels (I am also going to study abroad in Europe next fall, so having just one lens to be able to use would be a HUGE plus) and in the quality of my gear, or spend $100 but still have to deal with changing lenses, having not quite as good glass in my bag, etc.?

HELP!!

-Hank
www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited March 16, 2012
    If you allow $700 as your working budget, I suggest a 2-lens upgrade:

KEH.com has a PROMASTER 17-50 F2.8 ASPHERICAL IF LD XR EDO MACRO (67), which I believe is just a rebadged Tamron lens. It is a major improvement over what you had and what you are considering (the 18-200mm) in terms of image quality and light gathering plus DOF control. That would become your standard zoom lens.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DN099990982370?r=FE

Conclusion, from this review:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/290-tamron-af-17-50mm-f28-sp-xr-di-ii-ld-aspherical-if-nikon-test-report--review?start=2

"The Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] is a very serious performer capable to deliver some of the best MTF50 figures to date in this lens class."

Then sell the 55-200mm, which I bet is the non-IS version, and purchase the newer Nikkor 55-200 F4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S VR (52), either new or used. It has better image quality and the VR stabilization. Generally, you don't need the faster aperture for a tele-zoom as much as you need it for the standard zoom, so this should suffice.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DN079990928120?r=FE

Review:
    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/246-nikkor-af-s-55-200mm-f4-56g-if-ed-dx-vr-review--test-report

Actually, that will leave you with some funds left over, so I strongly suggest purchasing a suitable flash. A flash and appropriate flash modifier can make a tremendous improvement in image quality, used properly.

I know that you're looking for a single-lens solution, but I am suggesting something way more versatile, with very good image quality.

Besides, do you really want just a single lens solution? I mean, what if it fails? You've just been through that scenario and I would hate to have to depend on a single lens for a European educational opportunity. Hopefully you'll have some time for photographic excursions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    I agree with Ziggy that the 18-200 images are not terribly sharp. YOu want a single lens, and may want to look at what I use as a single travel lens: the Nikon 18-105 VR kit lens. I think it is sharper than the 18-200 VR, as it should with less range. It is not as sharp as my 35-70 f. 2.8, or my 80-200 f. 2.8, but neither of those lenses has VR, needed for travel when there is no time to setup a tripod, etc. Ziggy's lens suggestion is also sharper, but is not VR. I don't find that I need greater than 105 for most travel images, altough occsionally I'd like more than 18mm ( which on a DSLR is not 18mm).
    Stan
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2012
    Thank you both for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of the two-lens solution or the 18-105, which are both great ideas. Thanks for all the info and great input. Good think I've got you around!

Hank
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Hank, you have some very nice shots on your site

I agree the 18-105 VR may be a practical replacement for your 18-55, and for the price you can then get the 35 1.8G, i think you would like it.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    Thanks for checking out my site :) and I am going to try out that 18-105 this weekend..see what I think about it. Thanks again for all the advice!
    www.hankschlessphoto.com