Options

My Inner Heatherfeather and a One Trick Pony

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 20, 2012 in People
I have used the Canon STE2 infra red transmitter for years to trigger my speedlights. While I have had plenty opportunities to stretch its limits outdoors, I havent really experimented heavily with them indoors. But here was my chance.....

On the wall opposite the direction the bride is facing there was a window. It offered plenty of light below her waist but not much above that due to the way the curtains were arranged. At my house we could have just opened the curtains, but we are at a pre cival war plantation house that offers paid tours (and photo shoots) and so we were reluctant to monkey with the drapes.

i-PzwXPSd-XL.jpg

The solution was to use a 60inch convertable umbrella and speedlight on my 13 foot stand. I set the height so that the bottom was just below where the drapes began to part. I set the flash so that it's infra red sensor window was facing the bride. Since the speedlight is daylight balanced, there was no need for a color correcting gel on the flash. The transmit signal was bounced off the brides dress to the speedlight which fired and bounced its light into the umbrella and back out onto the bride. The whole stand, umbrella and all were around a blind corner and out of sight. Worked like a charm!

i-dSr5bVN-XL.jpg

i-dtMtP3V-XL.jpg

I have seen many instances where Heather either hides a light in a photo, or clones it out in post. So, this was my stab at it. Although the STE2 does require a little planning and thought to use in this manner, it is very capable and shows once again that it is NOT a one trick pony.
i-6q4V4CJ-XL.jpg

and one with JUST window light (different window!)

i-CbkxM9w-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    brilliant! I love the frame within a frame within a frame look. light looks completely natural as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Good idea on the first setup. If her pose were oriented more to the camera instead of to the light...believe the shot would overall be more successful, like the framing.
    The second shot is very nice.
    Nice professional quality work on both.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Excellent solution to a challenging light problem. The results are marvelous.

One thing bothers me about number two though. The frame in a frame is really nice, but because of the angle distortion of the doorway frame, I feel like I'm falling into the picture.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Very nice, and thanks for the lighting info as well. I like the third look in the first set (4th image) and really love the last one.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Nice work. Though I'm looking forward to the 600ex-rt with a radio trigger. Will hopefully make the whole line of site (or bouncing IR beams) problem irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    Nice work. Though I'm looking forward to the 600ex-rt with a radio trigger. Will hopefully make the whole line of site (or bouncing IR beams) problem irrelevant.

Phooey on that....Ive read that you can't use the radio trigger and use high speed synch together. Thats a no-go for me.eek7.gif

Radio Popper and others have better solutions for radio and ettl.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    BEAUTIFUL photos and what a setting! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    BEAUTIFUL photos and what a setting! clap.gif

Aaaaaw....thank you sooo much Angie! I sure have missed you. Hope all is well with you and yours.thumb.gif

The location here was beautiful. Old south charm never disappoints!:D

i-Lp5z8Cb-XL.jpg

i-djPM4JR-XL.jpg

i-P4ks2xS-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Oh Jeff, these are suuuure beautiful!

Speaking of finding your inner SneakyFeather, I finally thought I'd dig out my wireless flash set-up this season (with a LOT of help from some lovely people on here iloveyou.gif), and now that I *finally* figured it out ... what happens? My receiver takes off for a flight ...... to the ground. That was painful to hear (since I didn't see it) grarrrrr. Why are those stupid little things just so expensive (for what it is). So my Inner Heather doesn't seem to like me much, gotta say .....

Btw, I think #6 (first photo from your recent post) is a tiiiny little bit tilted, or maybe I'm just a bit off after the not so happy day today :bash

SO nice to see you on here again (not that I've been here much recently, my two girls sure like keeping me away from my computer these days), haha! But reality is about to hit and my season is starting in just about 2 weeks (shoot, already???) Hope to see more photos from you in the near future iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    That shot may have a slight tilt although, the columns are larger at their base. They arent very useful in squaring up a crop for sure!

So are you picking up on business now? If so its great to know. Mine took a big hit and I only moved to a neighboring city.

I know two girls are a handful. My youngest is back home and getting things in order to start nursing school. My oldest daughter may soon move back home as well depending on where she is accepted for PA school. She decided to follow the physicians assistant path as my DIL did.

They still keep me busy!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Haha! I bet! :)) + I bet things will get busier on my end in e the girls get older too, but it's sure hard to find some time to do any work with them on my side, haha.

Nope, it never really picked up in CO. Well, I guess I haven't been advertising at all either. I was on a lazy horse in Boston, kept booking brides whose friends I shot, so I didn't have to advertise at all, in fact I could have boOked about four times as much per year with all the inqueries .... So that's where I'm still shooting. I can't shoot many weddings anymore with the kids in the house, but I do fly out to MA for all of them. Kinda funny how I hear crickets when it comes to CO weddings, but at least I finally got a little baby photography business going now. Got 5 referrals from one CO baby, so that's good .... But I think I'll switch gears soon as I have to figure something else out for when we move back to Switzerland (where weddings aren't big).

So that's my story, haha! Moving stinks ....
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    I have family in Switzerland. Including a you ger cousin who is a photography enthusiast(although she shoots Nikon!) if you get there and find the need to develop an assistant let me know!

She cycles as a hobby. Most of her work centers off that. She has sent examples of off camera flash though!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Oh, I'd definitely let you know (it'll be an other ~two years though until we move). Do you know where she lives? You'll have to go / come visit sometime! :)
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2012
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Oh, I'd definitely let you know (it'll be an other ~two years though until we move). Do you know where she lives? You'll have to go / come visit sometime! :)

Not sure where exactly. I see her every couple years. Her mom was home(here) recently for A death in our family.

I had told her about dgrin and she joined but only 5 posts since 2009.

She still shoots though. Im sure.
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    very nicely done. Thanks for sharing your approach in detail.
  • Options
    JamesCroftPhotographyJamesCroftPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I love this set! I've got this funny feeling the bride was THRILLED with the results!
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
    http://www.JamesCroftPhotography.com
    Photography makes life worth living, or at least makes it more attractive.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Beautiful set Jeff and, more important, you've introduced real creativity to a subject (weddings) that usually bores me to tears. clap.gif

I paid my sons' wedding photographer a fortune and, while he did a nice enough job, we got wedding package # 6. Your stuff here could change the whole genre.bowdown.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen