Congrates to the winners of DSS Challenge #98 (Contrasting Colors)!

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited April 1, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Choose up to your Top 10, you have multiple votes! You may vote for one or more up to 10.
The gallery is here

for commenting.

You have the ability to choose up to 10 of your top choices by selecting them from the poll.
The poll will remain open for 72 hours, and any previously registered member of DGrin may vote.

Warning: you will not be able to come back and add more choices after you click the voting button.

There is 8 disqualifications this round :cry

Sfau- time/modify times do not match
Endurodog- time/modify times do not match
LLAW- taken out of challenge time range & time/modify times do not match
tigerseye- time/modify times do not match
VIVIDKiD- user name cannot be found on dgrin
Amadeus- wrong title format
SoloEuro- taken out of challenge time range & time/modify times do not match
kentwaller- time/modify times do not match

P.S. If your observant you will see that more than 10 can be chosen. Just remember if you vote for all of them its like you didn't vote :wink
*Also you are able to see any photo in its large form by clicking on it.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I voted, Lot of DQ's.... gots to read the rules.... Good luck everyone.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Voted. Good luck everyone.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • K10DK10D Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    K10d
    Voted. Lots of nice photo's here. Good Luck to everyone.bowdown.gif
  • slrtoolslrtool Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Good Luck Shooters! Nice photos.
  • VIVID KiDVIVID KiD Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2012
    Not found on DGrin?
    Hello
    Just curious why I cannot be found on DGrin? -"VIVIDKiD- user name cannot be found on dgrin"headscratch.gifscratch
    I've taken part in previous posts around the site.
    I obviously exist........
    How can you/I verify this so I can take part in the challenges?
    Please let me know - hopefully you can re-qualify me for voting.

Cheers
    VIVIDKiD
    JAG wrote: »
    Choose up to your Top 10, you have multiple votes! You may vote for one or more up to 10.
    The gallery is here

for commenting.

You have the ability to choose up to 10 of your top choices by selecting them from the poll.
    The poll will remain open for 72 hours, and any previously registered member of DGrin may vote.

Warning: you will not be able to come back and add more choices after you click the voting button.

There is 8 disqualifications this round :cry

P.S. If your observant you will see that more than 10 can be chosen. Just remember if you vote for all of them its like you didn't vote mwink.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    VIVID KiD wrote: »
    Hello
    Just curious why I cannot be found on DGrin? -"VIVIDKiD- user name cannot be found on dgrin"headscratch.gifscratch

Cheers
    VIVIDKiD
    I'm guessing it's about the space between VIVID and KID.
    On Dgrin, there's a space, I'm guessing when you labeled your shot in the gallery, you left it out.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    For reasons I haven't thought through completely, my dgrin forum name is different from my smugmug user name. On the forums, I'm ghinson, but when I log in to a challenge gallery to comment, my comments show up as ACKDOC. So it might be that you have a similar identity crisis?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    not sure i understand the time/modify time issue
    The gallery is here

for

P.S. If your observant you will see that more than 10 can be chosen. Just remember if you vote for all of them its like you didn't vote mwink.gif

i was working in a different time zone. did not adjust time settings on my camera for the new time zone. is this an issue?
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 21, 2012
    VIVID KiD wrote: »
    Hello

Cheers
    VIVIDKiD

7. UPE's: Unidentified Photo Entries. Photos uploaded to the gallery that do not have a valid dgrinner username in the caption will be deleted at the close of the challenge period. *Please use this standard format for captioning your entry: username - title

When I do not reconize a dgrinner name because they have not posted in this forum before, I copy and paste what is in the gallery to the search engine. VIVIDKiD is what you put in the gallery. Thus it came up as UPE.
    kentwaller wrote: »
    i was working in a different time zone. did not adjust time settings on my camera for the new time zone. is this an issue?

Actually your time zone had nothing to do with it. Rather it was the fact that your modification date was different than the date you took the image, meaning either you modified your image or you did not take it directly from your card to the smugmug gallery. Which if you have read any of the conversations going on in the entry thread, would have found out that is what you need to do.

I hope you all try again on this next round. The modify time will not be an issue this round since its not a SOOC round. And VIVID KID, just remember to put your dgrin name in correctly.
  • tigerseyetigerseye Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2012
    There is always the other option of having no idea how to actually get the image from the card into the gallery, without a time gap? This escaped me completely, as I had no clue a camera could even do that, and my entry was not modified in the slightest. Just to clarify that this is no gripe whatsoever about being disqualified, as the rules are well written and easy to understand. However, that date/modified slice of the pie went straight over my head as explained, and I am probably not the only one, so definitely a third option.
    edited March 21, 2012
    tigerseye wrote: »
    There is always the other option of having no idea how to actually get the image from the card into the gallery, without a time gap? This escaped me completely, as I had no clue a camera could even do that, and my entry was not modified in the slightest. Just to clarify that this is no gripe whatsoever about being disqualified, as the rules are well written and easy to understand. However, that date/modified slice of the pie went straight over my head as explained, and I am probably not the only one, so definitely a third option.

If you didn't understand the instructions that ppl were giving on the Entry thread, you should have spoke up in that thread. We would have walked you through it if you had never done it before.

I guess it was assumed that the ones that were asking about it there, understood how to do basic transfers. And it also depended on if you are using a Mac or Windows OS.

Welcome to the forum! Hope to see you post a little more so ppl can help you out when you need it! Thats what this challenge board is for!thumb.gif
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    still trying to figure out why my photo was dq. i see in my exif that date created is about 2 days after date modified. thats weird. don't know why - i assume a mismatch in computer and camera date time stamps or something like that. i wasn't editing on my normal computer, so that is possible. however, date taken is within the contest time frame. i see nothing in the rules about this, but several people were apparantly dq because of time stamp inconsistencies (i guess). can you explain the concern a little better to help? thanks.
    edited March 22, 2012
    kentwaller wrote: »
    still trying to figure out why my photo was dq. i see in my exif that date created is about 2 days after date modified. thats weird. don't know why - i assume a mismatch in computer and camera date time stamps or something like that. i wasn't editing on my normal computer, so that is possible. however, date taken is within the contest time frame. i see nothing in the rules about this, but several people were apparantly dq because of time stamp inconsistencies (i guess). can you explain the concern a little better to help? thanks.

This particular challenge was considered a SOOC (straight out of camera) round. That means absolutely NO post processing was allowed. What we were striving for, is to see what ppl could come up with by taking an image and just straightway put it into the album. Which means all the preparations and considerations, needed to be thought of before clicking the shutter.

This was all lined out in the entry thread here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=216594deal.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    tigerseye wrote: »

FWIW, Your entry was my favorite.... sorry bout the dq......
    Aaron Nelson
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Poll is still open 2 hours after it is supposed to close? Hmmm
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    DeuceFour wrote: »

Poll closes at 9:59pm... it's only 9:44pm now. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
    edited March 23, 2012
    DeuceFour wrote: »
    according to my clock and what I see, its suppose to close at 8:59pm AST and its now 8:45pm. So 14 minutes to go!
    edited March 23, 2012
    Announcing the top 5 images for DSS #98 - Contrasting Colors (SOOC)

CONGRATULATIONS Vandana for the #1 image win!

DSC0736-M.jpg

The following photographers are now qualified to participate in Mega Challenge #16:

Vandana
    GretaPics
    dnie
    Pat664422
    kwickers

Congrates to all the top 5 and to those who participated and commented a big thank you!
    Winning PM's will be sent out ASAP!
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congrats Vandana! An loud and clear #1. Thanks for the Vote all.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    clap.gifCongratulations Vandana, GretaPics, Pat664422, and kwickers!!clap.gif
    I am honored to be included in this group. Thanks to all that voted for my entry!!
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congrats to the winners....now, on to the next challenge, hmmm.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    wow, this is wonderful ! thanks for the votes ! it was quite challenging to do a SOOC challenge, thanks JAG ! esp with my dirty sensor :)
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congrats on a a deservedly decisive win, Vandana. Yours was a standout among lots of worthy entries this round!

Kudos to the top five, too!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congratulations, vandana, for the most gorgeous photograph!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 23, 2012
    billseye wrote: »
    Congrats on a a deservedly decisive win, Vandana. Yours was a standout among lots of worthy entries this round!

Kudos to the top five, too!

15524779-Ti.gif Gorgeous shot!
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congrats to Vandana - absolutely gorgeous shot!! & Congrats to all the top 5!! Another round of great entries!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congrats to Vandana on his top finish and outstanding photo, and to the other top five finishers as well.

I wanted to mention that two of my favorites for this round were among those that got disqualified. I don't remember the names of the photographers or submissions, but they were the blue paint on the yellow background and the pink thread picture. Not sure I would have made it into the top five if those and the other dq'd pictures had still been there, but happy and thankful for what it's worth!
    edited March 23, 2012
    My Mistake!
    I missed a space....... (thanks dave.)
    It won't happen again.
    Cheers
    VIVID KiD

7. UPE's: Unidentified Photo Entries. Photos uploaded to the gallery that do not have a valid dgrinner username in the caption will be deleted at the close of the challenge period. *Please use this standard format for captioning your entry: username - title

When I do not reconize a dgrinner name because they have not posted in this forum before, I copy and paste what is in the gallery to the search engine. VIVIDKiD is what you put in the gallery. Thus it came up as UPE.

Actually your time zone had nothing to do with it. Rather it was the fact that your modification date was different than the date you took the image, meaning either you modified your image or you did not take it directly from your card to the smugmug gallery. Which if you have read any of the conversations going on in the entry thread, would have found out that is what you need to do.

I hope you all try again on this next round. The modify time will not be an issue this round since its not a SOOC round. And VIVID KID, just remember to put your dgrin name in correctly.
    edited March 23, 2012
    Pilot error!
    Thanks Dave - Silly mistake on my part.......

davev wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's about the space between VIVID and KID.
    On Dgrin, there's a space, I'm guessing when you labeled your shot in the gallery, you left it out.
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Congrats to the winners and thanks to all who participated! The waterdroplets.....so very gorgeous.