Options

Teddy Bear Check Up

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 21, 2012 in People
Does the fact that I didn't have the second light on the background hot enough to make it pure white bother anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Not me. Not much of one for blowing the everlovin' hell out of backdrops anyhow.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I reallly like this one! Only thing I can suggest would have been to have her wearing the stethescope and checking the teddy bear, based on the tread title. I'm sure the parents are going to love this one as it is!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Lighting = fine. But once again, the image seems soft to me - is it compression, or is it soft?

Very adorable - I'm sure the parents will love it!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Not me. Not much of one for blowing the everlovin' hell out of backdrops anyhow.

Thanks for that...

I tend to let the little things like that bother me...
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    I reallly like this one! Only thing I can suggest would have been to have her wearing the stethescope and checking the teddy bear, based on the tread title. I'm sure the parents are going to love this one as it is!

GaryB

Thanks Gary....

You can't imagine how hard (and long) I tried to make that happen. Just didn't work. And with the short attention span of that age, settled for what I could get...do have one that has her holding the bears arm like she's checking pulse that is pretty nice.
    divamum wrote: »
    Lighting = fine. But once again, the image seems soft to me - is it compression, or is it soft?

Very adorable - I'm sure the parents will love it!

Sigh....

(Me whining) ...I miss the film days....do an image....send it to the lab with instructions....they send it back...viola! (Me going off an a rant and throwing hands in air) Image looks fine full size....Image looks fine reduced size.....Image looks soft when uploaded....

I'm trying to be a photographer here, not a computer expert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:Dne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifD:D:D:D

Maybe I'll start adding some sharpening after I re size for upload.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I think it's cause you're attaching them, Bryce - perhaps better to link from your flickr or elsewhere? :D

Sorry I'm always the one to say something about it but I reckon you'd rather know than not!!!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Does this look any sharper???

6997875047_8f8c22dbb0_o.jpg
    Doctor Daddy by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Does this look any sharper???

thumb.gif

Following the link to Flickr, this one looks the same in both places. The previous attached photo looks much sharper on Flickr than it does here.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Still looks soft. Maybe your focusing system is picking up too much of the white and that is throwing it off as it doesn't seen enough difference to focus. It also looks as if your getting bleed over from your background being too over exposed.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I think it's the attatchment method AND the fact that the image sharpening is not fine tuned for web viewing.

They both look fine @ flickr.

The "magic" of using Smugmug for online storage and image hosting is that when you upload the original sized file, several alternative "websized" images also become available automatically. These "copies" are tailor made and sharpened for optimum online viewing. Then. links are made available to you to use in places like dgrin or facebook. I like to grab the smallest sizes and then text them to clients (watermarked with my .com of course) for instance.

...and Smugmug now offers us 3 different choices of photo labs. White House Custom Color, Bay Photo, and EZ Prints.

Theres really nothing to NOT like about Smugmug....and Flickr....in my opinion really has nearly nothing to offer.ne_nau.gif

..and nooo, I don't work for smugmug, I am just a happy customer!

...a few of the available "web sized" images.
    i-CkQtXK5-Th.jpg

i-CkQtXK5-M.jpg

i-CkQtXK5-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    Thanks Jeff...

Although at this time i don't do online sales, it certainly seems worth a look at a cost to benefit ratio.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    To answer the original question, I think true white would look marginally better. Easy enough to do in PS though when you're that close. I bet one click with the magic wand, feather it a bit, add a levels layer with an automatically created mask, and you're there in about 10 seconds with little or no work needed to fine tune your mask.