Options

Nicola's headshot session C&C (picture-heavy)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 21, 2012 in People
C&C always welcomed!

Somehow my post-opera, spring break week has turned into a shooting marathon! Two big sessions this week - it's great, but boy is it busy just now...

Had a fabulous shoot with a gal yesterday. We couldn't have asked for better weather and light - it was a photographer's dream! She's very photogenic - and loves playing in front of the camera - so in some ways it was a pushbutton afternoon (although there were some specific problems - see photos for details....). She's an opera singer, but wanted some casual(ish) as well as diva(ish) shots, and specifically wanted some stuff for website/promo as well as ordinary headshots.

Gear: 7d + 24-70 + 70-200 f4 + 135L + flash + Apollo-knockoff umbrella softbox.

For once, I didn't have to deal with my mini-space - we went out on location for the latter half of the afternoon, but started in her house which had absolutely beeeyoootiful light and very usable walls. This is her foyer, the door open to the bright sunshine on camera right. Mitchell, I finally had MAGIC GARAGE LIGHT to play with (ok, magic FOYER light in this case :rofl). Magic indeed... :lust

Processed, but not retouched except where mentioned; once she's made her picks, I'll retouch those "to order".

We started with straight-up, natural-light headshots (although these have flash bounced off the ceiling and a reflector as well as the daylight :D)

1. This is essentially SOOC and is one of my absolute favorite shots of the day - the light was delicious :)

i-tH2dHWX-L.jpg

2. I'm really into away-from-camera looks at the moment - this one just appealed to me for some reason....

i-FMxM7M5-L.jpg

This next part of the session was the hardest for me: she looovvveees this dress "because it shows off the figure" but unfortunately, not always in a flattering way - eek. She was SO excited about doing shots in this dress that I couldn't *not* do it, so I tried everything I could think of to minimize the damage, as it were. I think she wants some full-length, standing shots in this one, but I don't think any of them are flattering enough to give her, so I've done a few alternatives.

3. Not sure if this is too much negative space or not :dunno

i-x8sTJ4h-L.jpg

4. Playing peekaboo around the corner (I quite like this as a compromise - got several different expressions here that work well I think) - this one's had more serious processing for various reasons. (Nik, advice to shoot from slightly below taken - there's a bit cropped off the top of this image :D)

i-wRHjmtm-L.jpg

5. Of all the ones on the steps, this is the ONLY one I can live with. This location was a great idea in my head that turned out to be piggy to frame, and harder to execute. The flash got cranky, I couldn't move further to my right because of a flowerbed, there are a bunch of street signs on the left, and there was a railing which, no matter how I tried, I couldn't shoot through or around. I cloned it out in desperation ;) I've processed/edited this in an attempt to make it work so she has at least ONE full body shot that includes these shoes. Unfortunately, I HATE the way the line of houses breaks up behind her body. While shooting, I also didn't notice the mixed colours behind her (when you see the whole street IRL it seems much more homogenous :bash)

Keep or toss?

i-BxX5hWQ-L.jpg

Another change, and a couple of other locations...

6. She looked like Jessica Rabbit in this gown :D

i-LgJf2FJ-L.jpg

i-tskswWK-L.jpg

i-ffHWT3M-L.jpg

9. I bought the 70-200L F4 expressly for this shoot and it performed wonderfully well. HOWEVER. Here's a shot where some extra blurring of a 2.8 probably would have been nice (and I find myself wishing I'd changed to the 135L) - is this background too busy? I can't decide...
i-f29GKs2-L.jpg

10. Total outtake, I blew the highlights (more noticeable in colour) and I've chopped off some fingers but I still LOVE this picture - totally captures her personality! Have no idea if she'll like it, but I love, love, love the energy in it - outtakes are my favorite, I think :lust

i-8rkW4M6-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JamesCroftPhotographyJamesCroftPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Of all of the above, I think number 6 is my favorite... it just seems like her personality is really shining through in that picture... of course that's being said without actually knowing her. The angle of her head and shoulders really seems to have a slimming affect on her, which I definitely think she will appreciate. For number 5, I wouldn't necessarily toss it because of the b/g. You could use a subtle Gaussian blur or lens blur on it, or even without that, use the color replacement tool to bring in the tonal range of the b/g to make it more homogeneous and less distracting.
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
    http://www.JamesCroftPhotography.com
    Photography makes life worth living, or at least makes it more attractive.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    She is the most attractive in 4, but not loving how she is placed in relation to the wall.
    10 is the big winner in this set....even with the blown skin....maybe fix the spots where she is over the top of her dress.

5 ...the keep or toss, is a toss for me. It is not very flattering, although her face looks cute in the shot.

With a full figured girl you want to shoot from slightly above, makes her head bigger in relation to her body. If you shoot from below it does the opposite.
    You can see this effect if you compare 9 vs 10

Looks like she was a lot of fun to shoot.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Well you did a brilliant job using that light, her skin is to die for in these images. The blue dress ..well you acted like a true pro, I don't know what I would have done. HOWEVER she will most likely love all of them and I bet she tells you this is the best photo session she has ever had.
    #5 bugs me where her calf meets the corner of the step. #1 is my favorite, great color on her, great angle, wonderful shot.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Thanks guys.

@Tim - THANK YOU for the suggestions to work on the background - I hadn't even thought of toning down the reds. I'm such a big "blur it out while taking the shot" person that I sometimes forget there are other solutions than in-camera bokeh ;) Great ideas.

@Zoomer, I generally try to shoot headshots from slightly above; I think it flatters most folks. Because I'm tall, usually not a problem... but she's taller than me when she has heels on!! Should definitely have made better use of my stepladder and/or moved up a step on it ;) In the body shots, I was also thinking about Nik's "shoot full length women from below", and from the many shots I've seen shooting *standing* women from above that seeem to make them look like Alice in Wonderland with big heads and tiny feet because you get some lens distortion. Since we were already dealing with somebody top-heavy, I wasn't sure that would be a good idea ne_nau.gif

Btw, I 100% agree with you about #10 as a *photo*, but it doesn't really "fill the brief" for a headshot/publicity shot, except as a candid on a website for fun - she couldn't use it for a program or audition submission. But I still love it and will def include it in the proofset! :D

@Trudy, bless you - you totally get the female perspective on the dress issue!! iloveyou.gif For what it's worth, I was thinking of the way you use light as I processed many of these - that "glow" you get is just gorgeous! I really love #1 too - I included it in her "sneak peek" on Facebook, and she immediately made it her profile picture which is always a good sign :D

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the set and I think she'll be pleased - she was very *consistent* to shoot, so the keepers/proofs are almost all useable shots one way or another; it will entirely come down to her personal choices rather than only having a few standout shots.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    So... I'm kind of a CreativeLive junkie and I have to say that Sue Bryce's workshop would work wonders for a shoot like this. If you can swing it, I think it's worth purchasing the course. She spends a good amount of time on working with curvy girls and setting them up in poses that are as flattering as possible that do not necessarily require you to shoot from a higher perspective. E.g., on the stairs, she might set Nicola up so that she's straight on to the camera with the right foot on a higher step than the left foot, have her lean forward so that her elbows are on her knees, one hand resting down and the other framing the face, dropping the boobage behind the arms. in this way, you could show of her legs, shoes, and face, and the body would be diminished. You could also have her kind of recline into the steps and shoot from the angle that you did, making sure to keep a nice curve in her body. Oh yes, and chin forward and down for every shot. :) Anyway, it was the first course I ever bought from CreativeLive and I think was totally worth it.

In any case, I agree that you had gorgeous light and really used it well! She looks like she is a lot of fun, so I think you did an awesome job of having that show through! I think 1, 3, and 10 are my favs :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Thanks Kristin! Chin down-forehead to me was my mantra during the shoot - she kept leaning back, so I was constantly battling her "good posture" :giggle

We did try reclining on the steps - in fact, that was my original thought, but the $&*!#^!@ railings got in the way and my flash wouldn't behave (first time I've ever seriously thought "I NEED RADIO TRIGGERS!!!", since my trusty STE2 normally gives me no trouble, even outdoors; for some reason, this setup confused it ne_nau.gif) My lovely idea to "use architectural details" was great in theory, but in practice turned out to be a giant pain in the hiney as those details looked messy instead of nicely complementary. Ah well.

I'll check out CreativeLive, although you're making it sound expensive!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Chin down on a full figured lady is to be avoided. Double chins and makes a large neck look even shorter and stumpy.
    Raising the chin slightly and even a slight jut, extends and slims the neck, added to an angle from slightly above and the side.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Zooms, I think K and I are referring to chin-extended-forward-then-down - that vulture/turtle position. Not comfortable, but definitely slims down the neck and jawline. Agree with you that chin down without the extension is a recipe for multiple chins!

Btw, here's another one by that wall corner - do you prefer the positioning on this one? I'm usually a bit iffy tilting walls in case it looks like they're falling over/subject is holding them up, but I kinda like this one. I got quite a few great shots/expressions from her during that sequence, so loads to choose from :)

only basic processing; no retouching or serious editing yet - if she wants this one, I'll brighten up her eyes etc

i-RrLv8Pr-L.jpg
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Six, eight and nine are wonderful! The quality of the light just matches her outfit soooo well.

I also love the "outtake" shot. Bet she loves it too!

Regarding No. 5:

Frankly, I like the shot. The "scene" works really well and the contrast between the reds in the background and the blue dress works for me.

Two things that bug me about it though. 1. I want some more space between her shoes and the edge of the picture. 2. (which would solve no.1) If you would move the foot farthest from the camera behind the foot closest to the camera it would slim down the ample calves to about one third their size and, I think, made the shot much more attractive.

My two cents....

Great expressions throughout the shoot.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Yes... turtle/vulture is exactly right. Definitely not bringing the chin in toward the neck at all. I think it's $150 for the 3-day course. http://www.creativelive.com/courses/glamour-photography-sue-bryce
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    Tx Bryce! I messed around with her feet/legs on those steps - nothing looked quite right, so I went with the one that seemed least bad + most comfortable. I'm doing a rework of the shot that blurs/tones down the colours a bit, but glad to know that it works for some people even as-is thumb.gif Not the best from the session, but at least if I include these couple of full-length shots, then I've delivered - she has PLENTY of other really good images to choose from, so I'm hoping (and pretty sure) she'll be happy with the others.....

Tx too, K - I'll have a think about that. I had a quick sniff around for some teasers/trailers to see if it's something I want to invest in, but did'nt have time to look through YT properly - I'll have another look later thumb.gif

Have just been playing with this shot. I reserve the right to decide I've way over-edited and change my mind, but ooohhhh that light gave me so much to play with.... rolleyes1.gif

i-hkzP94c-L.jpg
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, I get to comment on a set from Diva.wings.gif

Re. # 1 - I love this frame also as it shows her personality really well. I do wonder if there's a touch of camera distortion from the angle and proximity. I also might do a little curative healing under her eyes.

# 2 does nothing much for me.

# 3 may be my favorite of the set. NO there is not too much negative space. The wall adds depth to the image. LOVE her smile here.

#s 4 & 5 - not to be harsh but these do not flatter the model all that much, particularly # 5. I shoot NY Agency models ( ie: 5'11" - size 2) who develop unflattering mid sections when they scrunch up like this. With a heavier girl, no matter how beautiful (and she is), this pose just ain't there.

# 6 is flat to the camera and makes her look a bit wide.

Conversely, I like # 7 a lot. That turn to the side makes this frame blow # 6 away.

Not crazy about #s 8 & 9 but I think the f4 bokeh in # 9 is just fine.

I like out takes and I seriously like this one. Best show of her personality since #s 1 & 3.

Post Script: I really like both of the add on posts. That last one is just GORGEOUS.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I hate it when I review my shots and realize I've shot right into a part. See what I mean in #1 & #2. All that pretty hair and we end up looking at bare scalp. Why don't we see that through the viewfinder?? Here's a shot I posted here years ago. I don't remember who brought up the part at the time, but it really stuck with me. IMO it spoiled an otherwise pretty pleasing portrait. I've tried to avoid the situation since.
    221519596_L3tBp-L-2.jpg
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Just a few comments from me, as others have already hit the hight points.

#5 - I like the setting, but the pose is not doing it for me. The hands under the chin say "preteen" to me.

#7 - On shots like this it is important to include just a little bit of her clothing to prevent the shot looking like she may have been.....nude.eek7.gif

...on another note, she is a beautiful woman...stunning really..., and from your comments and the images I get the feeling she is VERY comfortable in her own skin. I like that!thumb.gif

...and it makes me wonder....as a photographer....do we even have the right to feel uncomfortable for someone when they most assuredly DO NOT feel uncomfortable. Yes, we should do our best to show our subjects in favorable light and poses, but should we hide them out when they obviously want to be seen? Im sure these comments will be viewed with mixed emotions, but I would have at least considered letting her strut it....if she wanted to strut it. Know what I mean?

Lastly....the above comments also struck a cord with this.

The customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer.deal.gif

...and don't let my musings fool ya....I think you did a fabulous job!thumb.gif
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Lovely images and I adore the first shot!! I have no CC to add, but I think your model is beautiful!

I have to ditto the Sue Bryce comment....she is phenomenal and her recent visit on CL was one of the best segments ever!! She definitely knows how to rock the curvy girl, but her tips could easily be applied to any woman!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    overall..great light, great energy..very well done!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    # 8 is my favorite but #6 & #9 are also portraying an opera singer to me.
    # 9 would have been a killer if it were more blurry but you knew that.

Thanks for showing us the pics

Bounty
    :photo
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2012
    Thanks guys! (And Qarik, I have to say - whenever I get that kind of response from you it's a real warm fuzzy since you're a tough taskmaster!! Awesomeness iloveyou.gif)

Icebear, excellent point. Fortunately, in her case, it's maybe a 2-click fix - easy to clone some of those amazing curls (all natural, and all self-styled - she did her own makeup too).

Jeff, I don't disagree with you, which is why I went with that dress despite my reservations (and I knew we had the other sets, so was confident we'd get some good stuff even if those didn't work as well as she thought they would). She is indeed very comfortable in her own skin, which made her a joy to shoot! Sooooo easy, and so much life and sparkle in front of the camera. Compare and contrast with today's client: today's has nearly a model figure, tall and slim, and yet was stiff and expressionless in front of the camera (even though she's quite sparkly as a performer when she sings) - I had to work for EVERYTHING this afternoon and boy am I tired out now!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks guys! (And Qarik, I have to say - whenever I get that kind of response from you it's a real warm fuzzy since you're a tough taskmaster!! Awesomeness iloveyou.gif)

haha..this took me for a loop. You Crazy, Divamum!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com