Options

Picasa Updates

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 21, 2012 in Finishing School
The newest version has some really terrific editing additions - it's obviously still not as powerful an editing tool as LR or PS, but in addition to being FREE this recent version has some decent artistic effects including faux-HDR, several vintage effects including holga/lomo/cinemascope, it has added a vignettes tool (YAY!), a pretty decent borders tool, and there are some other new features as well.

I continued to use Picasa as my card>computer uploader and "basic" editor even once I got LR 3 years ago - I may do my "serious" editing in LR and other programs, but Picasa is a very capable and simple catalog/editor that continues to have a definite place on my hard drive.

Anyway, just in case people hadn't seen the new "goodies" - I'm impressed by the updates!

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    The newest version has some really terrific editing additions - it's obviously still not as powerful an editing tool as LR or PS, but in addition to being FREE this recent version has some decent artistic effects including faux-HDR, several vintage effects including holga/lomo/cinemascope, it has added a vignettes tool (YAY!), a pretty decent borders tool, and there are some other new features as well.

I continued to use Picasa as my card>computer uploader and "basic" editor even once I got LR 3 years ago - I may do my "serious" editing in LR and other programs, but Picasa is a very capable and simple catalog/editor that continues to have a definite place on my hard drive.

Anyway, just in case people hadn't seen the new "goodies" - I'm impressed by the updates!

I'm impressed too. Like you I do serious editing in another program (Elements 7)

Picassa is very fast loading and pretty user friendly (simple)

That said, I think Google hasn't addressed the new Nikon V1 software. I have had poor results with those images.

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I use it at work for indexing file photos. Its ability to locate by cutline data (embedded in the IPTC fields) is a serious winner.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up. I have it installed on my travelling laptop.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    SandrahelenSandrahelen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    I'm impressed too. Like you I do serious editing in another program (Elements 7)

Picassa is very fast loading and pretty user friendly (simple)

That said, I think Google hasn't addressed the new Nikon V1 software. I have had poor results with those images.

Rags

One of Picasa's editing shortcomings is that once you crop something, unlike Picnik where you can do a double crop for special border effects, you can't use another crop on the same picture. I like to round the edges on a picture and then add another border around that. No can do with Picasa....a major drawback in my opionion.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited March 21, 2012
    One of Picasa's editing shortcomings is that once you crop something, unlike Picnik where you can do a double crop for special border effects, you can't use another crop on the same picture. I like to round the edges on a picture and then add another border around that. No can do with Picasa....a major drawback in my opionion.

The latest Picasa has crop, border and frame capabilities. You can also "Save a Copy", which allows something visually similar to what you describe in Picnik, although it does take a couple more mouse clicks.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums