Options

Help me wrap my head around what I do!

KMpicsKMpics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited March 24, 2012 in The Big Picture
I work as a separate business as a photographer with a horseback trail riding outfit. This is something that has evolved from the marketing efforts from me and the stables which has become successful... the idea: sell a printed picture with the stable's logo on it so they can then take it and show it off to potential new customers (I also give them a low-res digital of the print by email if they email me). It works to both our benefits but am I overlooking something?

Particulars:
I do not get paid by the stables to work, so I only get paid unless I sell prints.
The photography business and all of the equipment is provided at my expense.
A work station and power is provided at the stable's expense (no rent for me!)

It took me time to evolve the process and I have built a valuable marketing program I think... so much so, that the owner of the trail riding business misses me when I am not there (if they have under 20 riders for the day, or I have another gig I don't come in).

I lend a hand around the stables and put a kind face to the attraction... even help shovel manure from the staging yard. My experience around horses is valuable because I can look out for the safety of others (and more importantly myself) which eases the mind of the riding outfit because they don't have to babysit me. I interact with the customers only outside of the interaction of the trail guides, who work for wages and tips (they do make less than me at the end of the day). I might take some of their tip money but I try to repay them by photo shoots and helping out with their duties.

My interaction with the customers is a little concerning to me though... horses can be dangerous and one wrong move from me could become a nightmare of a lawsuit. Although my being there actually stops (or eases) the need for groups to get horses standing around for a photo (where accidents happen), I get them while on the ride.

Now that I have identified this, I know I separate myself and business from the stables as a 2nd business. Done.

Should I offer more print sizes? To get a bunch sales they are a relatively painless $10 per 5x7

The low-res print inmage by email with purchase... this gives the customer the opportunity to expose potential customers on facebook and other social networks. It helps close the sale of the print and also gives me a database to email market to... so should I hurt that aspect if I start charging for this service?

This is one of my marketing images for the stables: staged with owner and guides/friends: some of the great people I work with.
DHS-98-110-XL.jpg

This is what I sell...
i-7Kf7XRs-XL.jpg

i-NZwSqmp-S.jpgi-MGNGtTT-S.jpgi-xkr9Xsh-S.jpgi-39hs3NS-S.jpgi-t6dgtQL-S.jpg

OK wow this makes me want to go out and ride today :)

Thanks for any input you might have!

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Ask if you can put a few large prints up in the lobby area. Try to sell some larger prints. These photos look really nice, love that first one.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Ask if you can put a few large prints up in the lobby area. Try to sell some larger prints. These photos look really nice, love that first one.

Thanks for the suggestion! The lobby is outdoor but I have photos on the wall behind the registration desk. I sell the photos as products through this space (1/2 of my photos were gone from a wind storm lol):
    i-7jxWNpB-L.jpg

This wall is mine to do with this year... I am thinking of hanging prints for sale here... tried selling rustic frames as well as photos but they had to be around $20 per frame and the overhead was not as good and just selling prints.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    People want to buy what they see, put some big ones up and make sure somebody is showing them to your potential clients.
    Really good photography has to be seen large to differentiate it from the ones they will take themselves with their point and shoots.
    Looks like you need some kind of windproof mount.
    Good luck with it.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    People want to buy what they see, put some big ones up and make sure somebody is showing them to your potential clients.
    Really good photography has to be seen large to differentiate it from the ones they will take themselves with their point and shoots.
    Looks like you need some kind of windproof mount.
    Good luck with it.

:D ya I should have that spot all buttoned up next month (wind proofing and dressing up that wall and rafters).

I have about a 9-10 close rate on my sales as long as the customers dont leave before I show them their photos... that is not bad considering I am doing all the leg work photographing, presenting/selling, printing, and cashiering. Its a dance that keeps me busy.

Just just got a 24inch external monitor to hang on the wall for displaying the shots of the riders once they come back (the one that is shown in the office is a 22inch and a 17inch laptop). I think I might hang another one behind the registration desk on slideshow with a sign to see their pictures in the "tack room" after the ride. Right now I have 8.5x11 inch prints up there laminated and stapled to the shutters.

Soooo... going with a larger sized print would be smart? If I sold a 8.5x11 that uses about 4x more ink at 4x the cost of a 5x7 ($10x4=40) wouldn't a family be more inclined to just buy the group shot and none of the individuals? Maby I should only offer the group in the larger size? ...hmmm...

It takes me about 3 min max to pull up the best out of a group and display them on the big monitor.
    i-pXGs6bp-XL.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    I am having a little difficulty understanding what your seeking here. Are you looking for a complete product / marketing plan? Are you looking to market coffee cups, key chains etc?

Do you process and print onsite, or take the order and fulfill later?

I like the first shot and would think images like this would sell.

The one think I think is really important is insurance! Talk to the stable owner and see what his / her insurance will cover. That said if I were the photographer I would make sure I am covered. The potential for injury can be pretty high around horses. You don't even have to do anything wrong to end up in an expensive legal wrangle.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I am having a little difficulty understanding what your seeking here. Are you looking for a complete product / marketing plan? Are you looking to market coffee cups, key chains etc?

Do you process and print onsite, or take the order and fulfill later?

I like the first shot and would think images like this would sell.

The one think I think is really important is insurance! Talk to the stable owner and see what his / her insurance will cover. That said if I were the photographer I would make sure I am covered. The potential for injury can be pretty high around horses. You don't even have to do anything wrong to end up in an expensive legal wrangle.

Sam

Just looking at what I am missing if anything. Your pointing out insurance is exactly the thing I need feed back on (thanks!)... Or with Zoomer encouraging me in a roundabout way to go with a larger print (and I might just have to only sell the group shots as a large print). There are plenty of photographers out there that could give experienced some advice or creative input... and I am fishing for it with background examples.

I appreciate your input... even if it is pointing out something that I am doing that rubs you the wrong way.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Yeah I am thinking 1 large group print from each group...would probably be more than all the little ones you are selling now.
    Only way that will work is to show them the large prints and show them it would be worth it....get the kids to help you convince the parents to buy.

This worked for me with weddings...we sold no large canvas until we filled the office wall with them....then everybody wanted to have a large canvas.

Just some ideas. You know your market better than I do of course.

When I say large I mean 16x24 16x20 + type sizes.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited March 14, 2012
    Think lifestyle. Large prints, like your first marketing print, for the wall. Maybe combine that with some kind of (large) dynamic frame cycling some recent photos.

Zoomer's suggestion of 16x24 is great. You could try various print styles too-like metal prints or gallery wraps or framed to give customers an idea of what's available and what might best fit in their home.

So far though, it looks like you've got a great side business.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Yeah I am thinking 1 large group print from each group...would probably be more than all the little ones you are selling now.
    Only way that will work is to show them the large prints and show them it would be worth it....get the kids to help you convince the parents to buy.

This worked for me with weddings...we sold no large canvas until we filled the office wall with them....then everybody wanted to have a large canvas.

Just some ideas. You know your market better than I do of course.

When I say large I mean 16x24 16x20 + type sizes.

15524779-Ti.gif I would take the first one you displayed and print that as big as you can afford (at least a 20x30) and hang it so it will be the first thing they see when they walk into the viewing area. Then also include the same image in your slide show if you go that route. You'll be surprised at the number of people that will inquire about the larger sizes. Just explain to them what sizes you provide on site, and anything over that is done off site, and how long it would take for them to be available to pickup. You might want to think of either taking a deposit or require they pay in advance for anything requireing offsite printing. I've seen people order prints and not show up to pick them up. When they are called to remind them that their order is ready for pickup, they say that they have changed their mind and don't want them. If you take a deposit or require to pay in full, then you wouldn't be out any money if they change their mind.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    [QUOTE=zoomer[/QUOTE]
    ian408 wrote: »
    Think lifestyle. Large prints,
    All great suggestions and I am looking for the right printer for me now for the larger prints. (I want to use Canon 225/226 inks) and still print on location (unfortunately smugmug's $26 cost is too high for a decent return). Spring Break is in motion right now and have been seriously successful in every way selling almost every photo I put in front of a customer (like the group and each individual for every ride @ 5ish riders 4-7 times a day). Doing well ...though I was rained out the last 2 days so I have been shooting products in the studio.
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I would take the first one you displayed and print that as big as you can afford (at least a 20x30) and hang it so it will be the first thing they see when they walk into the viewing area. Then also include the same image in your slide show if you go that route. You'll be surprised at the number of people that will inquire about the larger sizes. Just explain to them what sizes you provide on site, and anything over that is done off site, and how long it would take for them to be available to pickup. You might want to think of either taking a deposit or require they pay in advance for anything requireing offsite printing. I've seen people order prints and not show up to pick them up. When they are called to remind them that their order is ready for pickup, they say that they have changed their mind and don't want them. If you take a deposit or require to pay in full, then you wouldn't be out any money if they change their mind.

GaryB

Now this makes sense and there should be money to be made, and customers to please this way. It will just take a little bit of selling while I am busy selling the small prints like crazy. I already print on location and haul in all of the equipment every day I am there... no problem bringing in a larger printer. If I have to get them to pickup the print days from the ride they could be 9 hours or more away, back home from their vacation. I think I should really get them taken care of right then and there... but if they are packing up to go home, a cumbersom print to get damaged might be undesirable? Thoughts?
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    KMpics wrote: »
    Now this makes sense and there should be money to be made, and customers to please this way. It will just take a little bit of selling while I am busy selling the small prints like crazy. I already print on location and haul in all of the equipment every day I am there... no problem bringing in a larger printer. If I have to get them to pickup the print days from the ride they could be 9 hours or more away, back home from their vacation. I think I should really get them taken care of right then and there... but if they are packing up to go home, a cumbersom print to get damaged might be undesirable? Thoughts?

If you have the ability to print on site, this would be the route to take, as you would be able to take advantage of the impulsive buyers. As far as protecting them, you should be able to get some cardboard tubes at an office supply store, or some site on the internet that specializes in shipping material. If you don't already have the ability to do the larger prints, you could still do off site printing untill you can get your own printer. Most off site printers ship in either a cardboard tube or some sort of box. Just attach your own shipping label and re-send it. Just add shipping and handling charges to your price of the print(s). Let us know which route you decide to take.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams