Options

Nikon Mount Ultra Wide Angles

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited May 16, 2012 in Cameras
Currently I'm just using a cheap Tamron 19-35 for a lot of my landscape work which while not the best lens I stop it down to F8-16 so it does a good job on my D700. But I might be moving to the D800 soonish and also want something wider, so any advice on lenses new or used to look at? I'm looking for the best value for the dollar....my current top contender is the 16-35 F4 but at about 1k that is a big hit especially with all the other lenses I'm hoping to get in the near future.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited March 24, 2012
    The Sigma 12-24mm, f4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM is the only true ultra-wide zoom for an FX body by my definition. (16mm on an FX body is what I consider a super-wide zoom, but not ultra-wide.) If you get a good copy it can produce very nice results but even the good copies will require some post-processing for maximum detail.

The Tokina 11-16mm, f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is reported to give pretty good FX coverage at 16mm, and the DX setting of the D800 should still produce very good to excellent results for the complete 11-16mm range.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Your best bet for ultimate sharpness is the 14-24 of course, but that's even more pricey than the 16-35 f/4. Honestly the 16-35 f/4 is just about it for corner sharpness, if $1K is the ceiling of your budget. The older 17-35 2.8 is great but still around $1K so you're really just exchanging f/4 and VR for f/2.8...

One thing you can try is, if you have a 24-70, just get a single prime in the 20mm, 18mm, or 16mm range. Nikon makes a handful of great 20mm lenses, from the AF-D 2.8 to the old AIS 20mm f/4, the Galen Rowell special. Who knows if these older lenses will resolve well on 36 megapixels full-frame, but at $300 and 99% resale value, you can't go wrong!

There are also a couple awesome 17-18mm primes, such as the Tokina 17mm f/3.5, and the Nikon 18mm f/2.8 AF-D or the older, lesser known 18mm f/4 AIS that I have tested a few times and it is TACK sharp for sure. (Again, at least on a D700...)

Or, of course, if you've got money to spend and ALL you care about is corner sharpness, the Zeiss 18mm and 21mm take the cake. Oh and Zeiss just came out with a 15mm, (not a fisheye) ...but it's $2900. :0(

Last but not least, if you still have a crop sensor laying around for whatever reason, maybe a lightweight D7000 or something for when you don't want to lug a heavy pro camera around; ...the Tokina 11-16 2.8 makes a GREAT 16mm full-frame prime, and it even allows front filters too! In fact it is the ONLY Nikon mount 16mm lens to offer both f/2.8 and front filters. Of course without filters you can get to 15mm, or if you're cropping to 16:9 you can almost use 14mm!

Good luck deciding! Oh I ALMOST FORGOT! there is also the new Tokina 16-28 2.8, and I believe a new 17-35 f/4? I dunno if you're open to another third-party lens, but it seems like Tokina is totally on a roll with their ultra-wide sharpness these days. They are quite a safe bet, in my opinion, if you're on a budget but want something more rugged and reliable than a Tamron...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    It might also be worth checking out the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 for <$450 (review on Canon full frame: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff)
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    brianb wrote: »
    It might also be worth checking out the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 for <$450 (review on Canon full frame: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff)

It's manual focus only, but for landscapes it's pretty quick to do with live view.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    brianb wrote: »

Another great option, if your'e looking for the sharpest possible corners but on a budget. In fact heck, if you're stopping way down for landscapes, that Samyang is FLAWLESS. 14mm is kinda tough to use effectively in EVERY landscape situation, but it's still mighty impressive when you do find a good angle to make it work...

:-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2012
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions....time to research.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Does anyone have experience with the Tokina 17-35 F4?
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Does anyone have experience with the Tokina 17-35 F4?

No, that one is very new I believe, is it even on shelves yet?

I suspect however that it is incredibly sharp; Tokina has been perfecting their ultra-wide lens design for a while now. They matched the Nikon 12-24 DX with their own, they blew away ALL crop-sensor ultra-wides with the 11-16 2.8, ...and now they're making two FX ultra-wides that are no slouch in price. So again, I'd say it's safe to assume that both the Tokina 17-35 and 16-28 are tack-sharp. Okay I just did a little research, and yep both lenses are allegedly quite sharp. According to Ken Rockwell, they're up there with the Nikon 14-24 2.8, 16-35 f/4, and 17-35 2.8. Take that with a grain of salt but like I said, they're probably by far the best bet if you're on a budget. Although the Nikon 16-35 is the new champ, again according to Ken Rockwell; maybe he just got an extra-sharp copy, maybe it really is that flawless.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    No, that one is very new I believe, is it even on shelves yet?

I suspect however that it is incredibly sharp; Tokina has been perfecting their ultra-wide lens design for a while now. They matched the Nikon 12-24 DX with their own, they blew away ALL crop-sensor ultra-wides with the 11-16 2.8, ...and now they're making two FX ultra-wides that are no slouch in price. So again, I'd say it's safe to assume that both the Tokina 17-35 and 16-28 are tack-sharp. Okay I just did a little research, and yep both lenses are allegedly quite sharp. According to Ken Rockwell, they're up there with the Nikon 14-24 2.8, 16-35 f/4, and 17-35 2.8. Take that with a grain of salt but like I said, they're probably by far the best bet if you're on a budget. Although the Nikon 16-35 is the new champ, again according to Ken Rockwell; maybe he just got an extra-sharp copy, maybe it really is that flawless.

=Matt=

Same info I've been able to get so guess I'll wait a bit to find out more on it since the difference in price would cover most of a refurb mobile workstation (what can I say I'm frugal lol3.gif). Well I'm not in a huge rush (my cheap 19-35 Tamron is well that cheap....but stopped down enough on the D700 it still comes out with good results) just now that I've sold my Olympus gear including the amazing 9-18 I'm feeling that gap in my lineup.
  • Options
    joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Pardon my ignorance. but, Can you mount a Zeiss lens on a Nikon? or does it requires some sort of adapter?

Thanks

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited April 12, 2012
    joeinmiami wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance. but, Can you mount a Zeiss lens on a Nikon? or does it requires some sort of adapter?

Thanks

Joe

That depends greatly on the particular Zeiss lens you have in mind, which mount it has, and whether you wish to keep infinity focus.

As a rule, only certain Zeiss lenses and mounts will properly adapt to Nikon bodies, mostly because of the flange to focus distance.

For best compatibility, you might with to stay with the Zeiss ZF.2 lenses with Nikon F bayonet:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/news/12057

At any rate, all capable Zeiss lenses will be manual focus.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    I just found a Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 HSM for a good price, does anyone have any experience with the lens? Where would it rate on a scale with say my 19-35 Tamron on one side and the Nikkor 16-35 on the other?

If that's not up to par I'm just holding out till some more solid reviews of the 17-35 Tokina come out.