Options

Headshot for a man.

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited March 25, 2012 in People
Never had a guy ask me for an official headshot before. So untraveled ground for me.
He sad he wanted dramatic....intense.
He showed up in a pink/purple plaid shirt with a white undershirt and a brown coat with a furry collar....really??

So it took me 30 minutes to get to this point. No shirts collar up sitting on a bench in the late evening sun. Natural light with the 70-200 2.8.

Any critique? Headshots aren't really my bag so yell if I missed anything, thanks.

950D709139-2edited-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    I like it.

It might benifit from a little tilting to the right.

You might also try cropping just a tad more from the top and right side.

Looks pretty dang good as is though!thumb.gif

People don't really "get it" when I get so stoked about a really successful image of a male subject. It's tough for anyone who hasn't had the experience to fully understand the dramatic difference between photographing male vs female. Exponentially harder in my experience.

Thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    Thanks so much for the quick response. I am working on these right now so wanted someone else to confirm I was on the right track. I know you really know your stuff so thanks!!
    Yes guys are much tougher....such a fine line we have to walk in processing and getting them to reveal to the camera.
    I did crop from the top and from the right already, so you and I are thinking alike on the crop...sounds like could have gone even farther.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Hey Mike
    Agree about losing a bit of the right side - maybe to mid-light pole.
    Like the light here and the expression.
    I'm a bit obsessed with jaw lines after watching the video linked below so, if you were to do it again, I might have had him turn his head a tiny bit more to his right - take that one with a heavy helping of salt - the only headshots I get are when my kids stop moving for a split second. The video is pretty awesome though and he mostly concentrates on a male model.
    http://vimeo.com/35732667
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    What I didnt say was the skin tones look excellent. Be careful not to over smooth.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    Thanks again,
    Yes that is another very fine line with guys. I did almost nothing to his skin. just evened out some tones and the sun shadow from his collar, let some light into the shaded eye also.
    Yes he has a good jaw line...but much farther and start to lose the off eye and the ear.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Usual question - intended use? If he's an actor, you've got the start of a good "rugged outdoors guy" shot for him with plenty of intensity, but I would tweak it a little.

Play with the crop as suggested above, and I would brighten up his camera right eye (to match the left). I'd also do some eye-definition (dodge highlights/burn dark areas, a bit of high pass filter, brighten the whites a little - or just use an "eye define" action such as the one in coffeeshop blog's "Glamour Glow" - it's still my favorite quick eye bump/define, runs fast and is easy to control with layer + brush opacity).

I might also darken the bright spots camera left, on his jacket (I've done this with a brush, or sometimes cloning some non-overbright cloth from another area). In fact, you could add a bit more drama by bringing down the brightness but bumping up the contrast a tad (not too much, but enough to make it a bit moodier rather than bright). Also, if you tilt the crop a bit, you may find you can lose much of that anyway. Finished shot for an actor will need to be 8x10 anyway - if you want a nonstandard crop, put it in a border so that the final is that size, but even if he uses a thumbnail, he will need the 8x10.

I know this is more post than you usually like to do, but... rolleyes1.gif

PS I actually like the jacket and the way you've used it - works very well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    My nit would be the same as above, phrased differently: a touch of off-camera fill flash, camera right, would have added some light to the right side and given some highlight to the eyes.

Here's a tip for future situations: Park the cable on the end of a monopod, use the left arm to hold the monopod to your camera right, hold camera frame on left shoulder. It's a complicated position for the body - and you can extend the monopod so it buries in your waist - but the results are stellar. (Attribution: pillaged from Strobist's blog.) With a TTL flash, power the thing down a stop or two, which might allow you to then under-expose a half-stop to diminish the background light; or simply run the flash at 1/64 power or thereabouts.

FWIW: Being involved in this forum has allowed me to better understand my own style, and I believe Divamum (IIRC) and I are of the same school of "create catchlights in all pics" school of thought.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    I think this is a strong headshot. The only thing that really bothered me is the line going above his beard. I think that's the shadow that you say you removed, but I think it needs a bit more work. Also, to me the entire shot is just a tweak over-exposed. I'd dial it back just a tiny bit in PS or LR. But you've captured the intensity beautifully, and the blurred background really makes your model pop.