What modes do you shoot in?

ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited March 25, 2012 in Technique
I've been doing photography for about 3 years now, and still don't know what mode to use most often. That is to say when to use what modes.
What modes do you use for what situations? I find my self using manual all the time, is that dumb of me...I have lost a few shots trying to set up a shot in manual lol.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    I've been doing photography for about 3 years now, and still don't know what mode to use most often. That is to say when to use what modes.
    What modes do you use for what situations? I find my self using manual all the time, is that dumb of me...I have lost a few shots trying to set up a shot in manual lol.

Unless you're shooting studio or nighscenes, or some other situations where the light doesn't change, shooting manual doesn't give you any advantage and quite often leads to bad shots or missed (due to the extra time you took to set the settings right) opportunities. Shoot in A. Manual is only good for static lighting and some tricky situations (when you typically have time to set it right).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    In general:

Sports (the bulk of my work): shutter priority
    Newsy portraits: aperture priority
    Strobe-assisted stuff: manual.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 23, 2012
    I think a pro should know more than just one way to skin a cat.

A real pro will be comfortable shooting in Manual mode, and Av or Tv, and even full on Auto program as needed.

It really depends on what you are shooting, how much control you have of the situation, and what you need the images for.

I do agree with Nik, that if the light is stable, unvarying, I prefer Manual mode, as I feel the exposure is more consistent from frame to frame.

But there are times Av is much more useful, especially if the light is changing while you look through the viewfinder. Think wildlife, some sports, anytime your subjects are moving in and out of light and shadow.

Tv is what some sport shooters favor very highly. Some shoot Av, and some use manual at times. No single right answer, only what works for you.

And some street shooters like Program mode also. Michael Reichman uses Program for street shooting, at least that is what he has said on his website at times.

The key is knowing which to use, and when.

I have used them all from time to time, usually Manual or Av, but sometimes Tv or Program.

If you know why you are choosing to use a particular mode, there is no need to explain it to anyone else.

Let your images do the talking for you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    pathfinder did a great job explaining it. I've really come to embrace using the program modes after shooting manual a LOT during my film days and formative years. The combination of HIGHLY effective zone metering in today's cameras combined with the aperture and shutter priority modes makes it a lot easier to get good shots when you really need to be focusing on other things. When I am shooting fast moving sports, I am composing and focusing in sub-second time frames. I don't have time to worry about exposure settings. When I am doing outdoor portraits, I have a bit more time and take a bit more care, but I prefer aperture mode there. I don't shoot in "P" mode because I like to have a bit more control than that.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    As Pathy said, it really depends on the situation...I love manual mode and manual lenses but i will use all the other modes and AF lenses also...I will say I spend more time in aperture priority than any other mode with manual coming in second , shutter priority in 3rd and last comes program mode and that one makes my skin crawl ... ... I just hate not having control but then I always shoot in RAW mode ... ... well actually Raw + jpg... ... ... but never ever just jpg .
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 24, 2012
    Av almost always. Controlling the depth of field is important to me, but I also have to deal with rapidly changing light and full manual would slow me down too much. The exceptions are Tv when I am trying to get a blurred background on a panning shot and manual when I'm using flash. I never use auto-ISO, which is fairly lame on a 50D.
  • ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess sometimes I'm afraid to come out of manual because I think ill get laughed out of town for using auto or the program modes.

I just got a 550D to replace my sony A330. The 550D has something I've never seen before called CA-creative auto.

It does an auto exposure, but lets me set the DoF and the shutter speed...what do you guys think of that one?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 24, 2012
    It does an auto exposure, but lets me set the DoF and the shutter speed...what do you guys think of that one?
    Hmm...never used it so I looked it up on the net. I don't really see that it's any easier than manual and it seems to hide the details. They're not that difficult, really: ISO, shutter speed, aperture, plus distance to your focal point--that's pretty much it. You have been shooting in manual mode already, so you probably understand all that. Why not try one of the semi-automatic modes like Av or Tv? They're easier than what you are doing now. Use Av when you need to control depth of field or Tv if you're shooting something that's moving and you need some minimum shutter speed to freeze the action without blur. Just go out and experiment--it's only ones and zeros.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    it really does not cost anything to experiment ... ... ... the only real cost is time ... ... go play aND HAVE FUN learning ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 24, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Just go out and experiment--it's only ones and zeros.
    "There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't" mwink.gif
    edited March 24, 2012
    1+1 = 10 thumb.gif

• JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess sometimes I'm afraid to come out of manual because I think ill get laughed out of town for using auto or the program modes.

I just got a 550D to replace my sony A330. The 550D has something I've never seen before called CA-creative auto.

I stopped caring what snobby "pros" say about my shooting mode. I shoot whatever mode gets me the best shot for the situation.

Any shooter worth listening to won't give you crap about your mode.
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
    edited March 25, 2012
    Pros use Av and Tv from time to time, I guarantee it!

edited March 25, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Pros use Av and Tv from time to time, I guarantee it!

Thet use whatever gives them result. The most important mode is in the brain, not in the camera.
  • kdlanejrkdlanejr Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    M and Av. Don't seem to have need for Tv or P.