Options

Backpack suggestion? Looking for front/side open for use around town

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited March 31, 2012 in Accessories
I currently use the Crumpler 7 million dollar home to hold a Canon 50D, 17-55, 10-22 and 70-200/4 IS. It's been a good bag for the past 3 years but, as I move to FF, I'm considering going with a larger pack and correcting some of the annoyances. My future kit should be the 5DmkIII, 17-40, 70-200 and either the 24-70/24-105 or a few primes (haven't decided yet)

I'm not planning hikes with the pack but do want to be able to ride my bike around town more comfortably. The messenger bag shifts and is off balance. I also can't put my tripod on it. Bag should also be suitable for trips and would be nice if I could easily put a small jacket, gloves, etc in it.

For a backpack, I would prefer one that opens on the front/side rather than a back one with an ICU that requires taking it off to access anything. A quick search found:

F-stop Kenti - Dual side openings. Should easily hold all my stuff including tripod. Expensive though at $269

Lowepro Sport 200 AW - Single side opening. Maybe a bit bigger than the Kenti but hard to tell. $150

Kata 3-in-1 - Haven't found a good review on this yet but seems to be a combo of backpack/messenger bag. Relatively cheap at $85. Claims it'll hold a dSLR and 5 lenses.

Appreciate any personal experience with the above backpacks or recommendations for alternatives.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Love my Aktivpak to little tiny bits. It holds enough junk critical material that if either a war, plane crash or wedding breaks out on short notice, I can capture pics thereof.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    Thanks! Never heard of the Aktiv Pak before but looks like it just might be perfect - and a great price to boot. Did you get the 400?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Thanks! Never heard of the Aktiv Pak before but looks like it just might be perfect - and a great price to boot. Did you get the 400?

Yep. It's stunning in terms of how much it holds.

Tho, I did note on a drive back from a council meeting that I have enough junk in there that the car thought I had a passenger in the passenger seat.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    THANK YOU for this!! It's just what I"ve been looking for.

It's also available on overstock, for whom Living Social currently has a get $20 credit for $10.

And if enough folks get the LS deal via this link, I get the LS discount for free... :D Help a girl out! iloveyou.gif

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/298178?ref=conf-jp&rpi=53936440
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    Are you stalking me on Dgrin? First the 5d. Now this?!
    Also on calumata for 49.95
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Actually, I'm considering the larger bag, the 600 - I have a Versabag (knock-off Crumpler) which I love, but when I take two camera bodies I could use something a little larger when I'm also carrying the two zoom lenses (24-70/70-200) as well as primes and flashes.

Moving P, would the huge one be overkill or would the medium one be sufficient? We're talking 2x bodies (sometimes - not always), 2x flashes, 2x zooms + 4 primes (+all the usual bits and pieces)?

PS Eoren, you're the one who sent ME the 5dII deal, remember :lol4
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Moving P, would the huge one be overkill or would the medium one be sufficient? We're talking 2x bodies (sometimes - not always), 2x flashes, 2x zooms + 4 primes (+all the usual bits and pieces)?

Why not show you a point-an-shoot piccy ...

And then a review I wrote ... with edits to reflect changes since the review.

My uses for this product likely vary from most. I've ticked the "semi-pro" photographer, since I'm one of those sleazy media types. Actually, I'm a newspaper editor, and "sleazy media type" is what the local MP called me after last month's editorial. Anyhow, I wanted to pack my gear in something other than a basic square Company-provided Lowepro case that simply couldn't carry all my stuff.
    I read reviews, extensively, to ensure I was purchasing something that would meet my needs. And yet, despite that, I was (as just about everyone) surprised at how blasted BIG this is.
    That's a good thing.
    As the picture shows, I've got a Canon 7d body attached to a Sigma 28-70. Beside it is a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 that has outlasted one marriage, and been more faithful, too. I almost always keep the hood on the zoom lens, as I frequently run into "pick-up-camera and shoot situations" (such as the junkyard fire this very evening, for example, where the light was fading, the fire crews just setting up ... no time to fart around with anything.)
    The pack is shown here with two flashes, a polarizing filter for the big zoom, my radio trigger and slave receivers, my voice recorder, a beanbag, two home-made flash clamps, lens end cap, 10' off-camera TTL cord, my CF card reader and USB cable, along with umbrella clamps for my stands.
    The lower pouch on the inside of the flap contain two snoots, and a pair of gobos; the upper pouch holds cables and camera caps.
    Now, pause, and digest that all of that stuff is inside the main compartment. "But wait, there's more."
    There's a big space on the "flap" that holds: notebook, three pens, a highlighter, spare CF cards, camera/lens cleaning stuff, a collapsible reflector and probably something else but I can't remember what. The cover for that pouch is where I keep spare batteries: 16 AA batteries and 4 AAA batteries. And then there's a velcro-closed pocked where I keep the camera condoms - specialized plastic rainsleeves. Now do you get the idea how much this blasted thing carries?
    But wait. There's more.
    Ever heard of that fundamental maxim that the stuff you have will fill the available space?
    There's a space between the camera-storage area and the back. And this is where a laptop can go. And the other day, I parked a massive laptop there, and lugged the whole kit and kaboodle to the world's second-most-boring Chamber of Commerce meeting. Instant portability.
    Also, there's a space on the side for storing tripods - but I've tweaked it for use with my monopod. I still have to do some work to bring that to better function... but that may be as simple as finding a spare velcro strap, rather than relying on the cinch-binding gizmo. (Edit: I have now fixed that. A clicky-type keychain gizmo has added security for the monopod.)
    The other side has compartments that seem intended for cellphones or such like. I've parked a spare $10, old-school auto Vivitar backup flash in one, and the other holds a spare voice recorder (because redundancy seems really bloody silly until the battery dies in the voice record right as Mr. Big has three minutes for questions).
    There's still a touch of space (!) and I may park a small 75W cigarette-lighter inverter there, for charging in the car/truck.
    Functional? Yes. Early on, I did a mass photowalk, with the pack welded to my back. I barely noticed. As a bit of an off-the-grid camping dweeb, I noticed the ergonomic shape to the shoulder straps and was most approving of the waist and chest straps.
    OK.
    Now the cons.
    A) If I were a woman, I'd probably not like the chest straps as much, as the chest straps would interfere with the girls. Then again, if I were a woman, I'd likely not be 6'1", 220, with a reasonable chest, either, so this really isn't an issue.
    B) Yes, like others, the pull on one of the zippers vapourized on about day three. I hardly consider that a world-ending event - and for those that whined about such a middling detail: suck it up, baby.
    In a nutshell, if some spectacular disaster happens three seconds after the alarm goes off tomorrow morning ... or someone wants a mug shot on short notice .... I can grab one bag, just one, and have everything I'd need to capture out wire-worthy images ... or, with the simple addition of an umbrella stand, a ritzy wedding.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2012
    Thanks! I'm pretty nearly sold on the medium, especially since I don't terribly like the humungoid waist belt on the large. That said, I really don't want to have to keep buying bags every time I add something, and would love a bit of room to grow...

I've been keeping my eyes open for options for a while, but hadn't seen anything that looked about right (at least not for under $250 and I just can't/won't pay that much for a BAG). I'm getting sick of carrying the Versabag (camera+lenses+bits), and an older, smaller bag (flashes), AND my "location" wheelie trolley (stands, reflectors, umbrellas/modifiers, stepstool). It would be GREAT to whittle it down to one for gear+wheelie and that's IT.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Might want to look at the LOWEPRO Slingshot300 / 350 ...seen'em on ebay for under a hundred and the waist belt and lumbar support are excellent.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Thanks, guys! I went ahead and ordered the medium - if in the end it does seem too small for my kit, I can send it back and swap it out for the larger one, but it does seem it will be about right (I'm hoping). I love that you're stuffing a reflector in there - that's something I usually keep in the wheelie full of stands and brollies, but it would be great to have it *in the bag* for those times I don't need/want the whole kit and caboodle.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    I tried every backpack in the B&H store last summer, and eventually bought the Clik Elite Probody Sport Backpack. Its fantastic. Now, it is not as big as what is pictured above (I have a Lowepro compubackpack, with is an awful backpack).

I debated between this and the Lowepro Photo Pro Sport 200 AW, but found the Clik Elite far more versatile. It has a nice photosection below, that will hold a camera with lens attached plus two additional lenses. You can fit a 40D with 70-200 f4L attached. Above is a storage pocket for jackets or additional lenses.

The best thing is the comfort. This bag is well designed, and rides steady on your back. You can wear it for hours, and hiking is fun with it. Side entry makes it easy to grab your gear.

Its not a "carry everything " bag, but it is far more comfortable and practical than most.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Thanks for the added rec. I had looked at the Clik but couldn't figure out how much it'll hold. My plan is to have a 5DmkIII with a 17-40 attached then a 70-200/4 IS and 24-70/2.8 or 24-105/4 or primes there as well. One flash, microfiber cloths, air rocket thing, flash cards, battery, gloves, hat, timer. From the size on the guy in the last b&h shot, I'm guessing that'll all fit - is that correct?
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Not to go to far off topic, but I am looking at a new backpack for my summer trips. The Clik Elite Obscura is what I'm leaning towards. Going to check out some others from this thread as well now.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Just looked at some video reviews of the Probody sport and it looks like a really tight fit. Think I'll get frustrated with it over time. Also the tripod support looks like it's good for a light/travel pod; not quite enough support for my CF one.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    Leaning more towards the Kata 3N1 20 or 22 now. I've seen a number being sold on here and not sure if I should take that as a warning sign. Also can't tell the difference between those two models if someone can enlighten me.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the added rec. I had looked at the Clik but couldn't figure out how much it'll hold. My plan is to have a 5DmkIII with a 17-40 attached then a 70-200/4 IS and 24-70/2.8 or 24-105/4 or primes there as well. One flash, microfiber cloths, air rocket thing, flash cards, battery, gloves, hat, timer. From the size on the guy in the last b&h shot, I'm guessing that'll all fit - is that correct?

The Probody Sport will hold your 5D with 70-200/4 attached, plus your two lenses, but it will be a tight fit. I can carry a 70-200, 28-75 and 10-22, but its tight. Your combo of lenses might be a bit broader and make a very snug fit. One downside is that if your 70-200 is not attached, it won't fit in the camera area, and you have to resort to putting it in the carry section. All the rest of your stuff will easily fit in the carry section.

The tripod holder is quite secure. I carry a carbon fiber tripod with a Kirk ballhead attached without any issue and it stays rock solid. If I am only transporting, I will take the head off to keep from banging into things, as it makes it that much taller.

For your items, you may want to look at a slightly bigger model like the Bottle Rocket, where there is a bit more room in the camera section, and there are padded side pockets that can hold lenses:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/773000-REG/Clik_Elite_CE707BK_Bottle_Rocket_Backpack_Black_.html

Of course, now we are talking real money Laughing.gif.

I found that getting a backpack that holds everything means that you will use it as storage, but never for hiking. You need to be choosy in your gear you carry, and a big bag tempts you to take everything, half of which you don't use. then the backpack is uncomfortable and you hate your backpack (I know, I have one of those as well)
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2012
    Just ordered the Kata 3n1-25. Will post review and bags I considered when it arrives next week.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    My Aktivpak (literally) just arrived. It is DEFINITELY bigger than I expected - it's a very good sized bag. I still can't quite get *everything* into it (at least not yet- it may be possible if I rearrange the dividers a different way). However, that's probably a good thing - any bigger and it would just be unmanageable.

What's very nice about it is all the "extra" spots to put stuff, just as Moving Pix mentioned; first time I've ever been able to easily carry a reflector without taking the big lighting bag, so that's great.

Thanks for the recco! thumb.gif