Options

Philadelphia at Night

slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited March 29, 2012 in Journeys
This past December, my son, Nick (11 years old), and I, made an unexpected overnight stop in Philadelphia. We were enroute from Fort Lauderdale to Lake Placid for a youth ice hockey tournament, when dense fog shut down the Philadelphia airport. Our flight from Fort Lauderdale was one of the last to make it in to Philadelphia that night, and our flight out to Albany was one of the last to be canceled that night. As all flights out that night were canceled, there were almost no hotels available within 15 miles of the airport. We were lucky to get a room at the Omni in Independence Park. Once we arrived at the hotel at 11:30pm, I realized we were only a block from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. My son hit the sack and I hit the streets. I had recently purchased a 12-24mm lens for my Nikon D70 and this would be my first time using it.

All of these images were hand held. I was not expecting to do any low light photography and had not packed a tri-pod.

First stop, just outside the hotel:

122782102-M.jpg

At the first intersection, I believe this is Chestnut and 6th Street, Independence Hall is in the background:

122781955-M.jpg

Next, I circled Independence Hall. Here are the shots:

122782455-M.jpg

122782659-M.jpg

122782813-M.jpg

122782970-M.jpg

122783133-M.jpg

This was my first time ever using the 12-24 lens, and my first time ever attempting night-time, long exposure shots, again hand held.

Here is the next morning, in a diner down the street from our hotel. We had to get up very early to try to make our re-scheduled flight. My son couldn't stay awake waiting for the waitress to come take our order.

122782313-M.jpg

As an epilogue, the fog was so bad, that the Philadelphia airport was shut-down again in the morning. We had to drive from Philadelphia to Lake Placid, about a 6 and 1/2 hour drive. All in all, it took us 30 hours to get from Fort Lauderdale to Lake Placid. A major pain in the butt, but well worth the adventure in the end.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 13, 2007
    Hopefully you made the tourney with skates and sticks :)

Best of luck to the team!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    hysonhyson Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Philly is a beautiful city at night! (I should know, born and raised! clap.gif )

Next tme you're in town, check out City Hall lit up at night (Broad and Market Sts - not too far from where you were).

The riverfront has a plethora of great shooting opportunities as well, not to mention the bridges. This can go on and on, but I'll sum it up:

thumb.gif - Glad to see my city spotlighted, nice work.
    Pentax *ist DL | Sony Cybershot DSC-S60
  • Options
    fujionefujione Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2012
    fu
    slapshot wrote: »
    This past December, my son, Nick (11 years old), and I, made an unexpected overnight stop in Philadelphia. We were enroute from Fort Lauderdale to Lake Placid for a youth ice hockey tournament, when dense fog shut down the Philadelphia airport. Our flight from Fort Lauderdale was one of the last to make it in to Philadelphia that night, and our flight out to Albany was one of the last to be canceled that night. As all flights out that night were canceled, there were almost no hotels available within 15 miles of the airport. We were lucky to get a room at the Omni in Independence Park. Once we arrived at the hotel at 11:30pm, I realized we were only a block from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. My son hit the sack and I hit the streets. I had recently purchased a 12-24mm lens for my Nikon D70 and this would be my first time using it.

All of these images were hand held. I was not expecting to do any low light photography and had not packed a tri-pod.

First stop, just outside the hotel:

122782102-M.jpg

At the first intersection, I believe this is Chestnut and 6th Street, Independence Hall is in the background:

122781955-M.jpg

Next, I circled Independence Hall. Here are the shots:

122782455-M.jpg

122782659-M.jpg

122782813-M.jpg

122782970-M.jpg

122783133-M.jpg

This was my first time ever using the 12-24 lens, and my first time ever attempting night-time, long exposure shots, again hand held.

Here is the next morning, in a diner down the street from our hotel. We had to get up very early to try to make our re-scheduled flight. My son couldn't stay awake waiting for the waitress to come take our order.

122782313-M.jpg

As an epilogue, the fog was so bad, that the Philadelphia airport was shut-down again in the morning. We had to drive from Philadelphia to Lake Placid, about a 6 and 1/2 hour drive. All in all, it took us 30 hours to get from Fort Lauderdale to Lake Placid. A major pain in the butt, but well worth the adventure in the end.

My favorite is independence hall framed by the trees.