Options

Canon 5D Mark III: First Impressions

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited March 31, 2012 in Cameras
I'm sure there will be tons of very detailed high quality reviews all over the internet soon, but for those who want to get the executive version of the pertinent info sooner than later here's a set of highlights.

I'm not gonna start from scratch and describe what camera can do (yes, it does take pictures and videos). Instead, my approach is to compare it with two most recent previous bodies I own and know: 7D and 5DMkII.

CA03291219324101-XL.jpg

Body overall

Feels similar to 5D2. Probably more suitable for larger hands than for smaller ones.

Overall controls have definite 7D-sh feeling, albeit I find 5D3 buttons layout more convenient/logical.
I like new position of the DOF preview button.
The lock on the modes dials is a pure heaven. I doon't know how many times I had it turned by accident. No mo'!

It appears that the old mkII battery grip would work just fine, if it were not for a different "key" position. However the key is only a plastic thingie, so it can be easily filed/sawed off if the $$ is paramaunt (I do not recoomend doing that. New grip is only 10% of the body and it supposedly has multi-purpose button, which would be a heaven sent. Just saying it looks like it's possible...)

The ISO/FEC button has a little elevated point in the middle, so you finally can find it by touch. Great for low light!

LCD contains even more info than before, but it's still readable, once you get used to it.

IR remote (I got mine for 7D) works just fine.

Menus

Totally new, very usable 2-level system, kinda categories/subcategories of SM.
In many cases Info button serves as immediate help.
Remember custom functions of yore? The ones that looked like binary flags (010011110), and you were lucky if there was some text newr them and you didn't have to consult the manual? Not anymore! While stilled called "C.FnX" on top, they now are first-class citizens of the menu system, with clear descriptions.

AF
New marvellous AF something we all going to spend a lot of time with. Let me just say those 61 points can work whichever way you want and menu has an entire category with several subcategories devoted to it.

Random
Very usable In-camera HDR (you can set the level of how extreme you want it)
More grid options for LV
Braketing for 3, 2, 5, or 7 shots, up to 3EV each step.
Silient shooting (S) decreases frame rate to 3 fps, but it's my new default for singel shots
Built-in 2 axis electronic level (like 7D)
Custom file names (mine are NIK_xxxxx now:-)
More RAW and JPEG formats, each with detailed decription (MP, WxH), RAW varying from 22Mp to 10Mp to 5.5Mp and JPEG varying from L (22Mp) to S3(0.3Mp) with 8 size options total
No more silly CA and "green" modes, just one extra mode called A+, which I reckon is a nod for less photo-savvy crowd.
Last but not least (in fact, that's the first "wow" you get when you turn your new baby on): time system with timezone and daylight savings switch. About time, I say;-)

The rest is in the manual :-)
HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    I agree with everything Nik said, AND better (less) noise with high iso. Here is a quick shot at ISO 800 with a big crop:

JU8C0091-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2012
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I agree with everything Nik said, AND better (less) noise with high iso.
    Oh, totally, I've been blabbing over usable ISO 25600 for the last 24 hours... deal.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Wait, what? 7-shot bracketing with up to 3 stop increments? isn't that like, 18 or 21 stops? Um, that's basically from 1/8000 sec to 30 sec, if I'm not mistaken. That's like, broad daylight plus the milky way on a moonless night.

headscratch.gif
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Feels similar to 5D2.

I'd say it feels like a more refined 7D, which was more refined than the 5D2.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    very readable and useful Nik!
    tom wise
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Thanks for tearing yourself away from Medal of Honor: Allied Assult and recorder playing to write that! rolleyes1.gif

Is the 5DMk3 focus the same as 7D or improved? Confused because 7D is 63 pt, and 5DMk3 is listed as 61pt?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    7d is 19-pt focus, 5d3 61-pts. From what I'm seeing in these samples, it looks like the 5d3 is hosing the 7d's (already wonderful) AF, particularly since it's married to the killah ff IQ.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    7d is 19-pt focus, 5d3 61-pts.

Hmm maybe I am confused, Canon says 63 pts for 7d

EDIT:

Fudge, my bad...I misread the website. 63 zone metering, 19pt focus:
      New 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors in center at f/2.8 and f/5.6 and AF area selection modes to match various shooting situations.
      [*]iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.

• Options
      ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
      edited March 30, 2012
      cmason wrote: »
      ... Is the 5DMk3 focus the same as 7D or improved? Confused because 7D is 63 pt, and 5DMk3 is listed as 61pt?
      7d is 19-pt focus, 5d3 61-pts. From what I'm seeing in these samples, it looks like the 5d3 is hosing the 7d's (already wonderful) AF, particularly since it's married to the killah ff IQ.

Both the Canon 7D and the 5D MKIII share a very similar, if not the same, metering module, with 63 zones and dual-layers.

Divamum is correct about the AF module. Additionally, the AF module of the 5D MKIII appears to be very similar, if not the same as, the AF module in the announced Canon 1D X flagship model. That does not mena that the 2 - camera's AF properties will be identical, but they should be similar. (The 1D X has 3 - processors, versus 1 for the 5D MKIII, and that alone will likely affect AF acquisition speeds.)

Early reports, including reports from DGrinners, indicate that the AF section of the 5D MKIII is very fast and very accurate, and a great improvement over the 5D MKII in this regard.
      ziggy53
      Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    • Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      Wait, what? 7-shot bracketing with up to 3 stop increments? isn't that like, 18 or 21 stops? Um, that's basically from 1/8000 sec to 30 sec, if I'm not mistaken. That's like, broad daylight plus the milky way on a moonless night.

headscratch.gif

Matt, I know it's hard to fathom... Yet here's a living proof, just took these in my back yard facing the unobstracted sun:
      http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/22186339_5jJqTq#!i=1771801970&k=NrQrxT4
      They don't hold any artistical merit and I haven't tweaked the setting much to implement the "middle point" correctly (hence I ended up with one frame being totally blown out of the park), but I hope they show what this camera can do :-)
    • Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      Controls/IQ-wise - yes, 7D; grip/feeling-wise - 5D2. At any rate, it feels smater/better than either. Altough, as I have mentioned, it's more suitable for a larger hand/palm. For a small-handed person (e.g. petite female, teen) it might be a bit harder to hold.
    • Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      angevin1 wrote: »
      very readable and useful Nik!

Thanks Tom! thumb.gif
    • Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      cmason wrote: »
      Thanks for tearing yourself away from Medal of Honor: Allied Assult and recorder playing to write that! rolleyes1.gif

Is the 5DMk3 focus the same as 7D or improved? Confused because 7D is 63 pt, and 5DMk3 is listed as 61pt?

As Diva has mentioned, 7D has a 19 point AF.
      Thus far I didn't have a chance to shoot any fast moving subjects yet, so I cannot attest to the wonders of the new 61 point AF yet, although I like how it looks in VF. And I hope to try it with some jumping model soon :-) mwink.gif
      Jack, on the other hand, has a wonderful set of SIF (Skier In Flight) frames! bowdown.gif:D
    • Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      Controls/IQ-wise - yes, 7D; grip/feeling-wise - 5D2.

I respectfully disagree completely. The 5D2's grip is very round. The 7D and 5D3 grips have a more square edge and also a little lip which hooks into the inside of your first knuckle. It's a much more positive, secure feeling. There is also a much more pronounced thumb hook on the back of the 7D and 5D3. Also the grip material is much more, umm, grippy (rubbery) feeling. I had a 7D and 5D2 before this, these differences always struck me when going from one to the other.

Saying the 5D3 feels like the 5D2 is not fair to the 5D3.

Also the IQ at 100% view is better than the 7D, of course.
      -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    • Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      Jack, on the other hand, has a wonderful set of SIF (Skier In Flight) frames! bowdown.gif:D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=217762
      -Jack

• Options
      edited March 30, 2012
      I respectfully disagree completely. The 5D2's grip is very round. The 7D and 5D3 grips have a more square edge and also a little lip which hooks into the inside of your first knuckle. It's a much more positive, secure feeling. There is also a much more pronounced thumb hook on the back of the 7D and 5D3. Also the grip material is much more, umm, grippy (rubbery) feeling. I had a 7D and 5D2 before this, these differences always struck me when going from one to the other.

Saying the 5D3 feels like the 5D2 is not fair to the 5D3.

Also the IQ at 100% view is better than the 7D, of course.

Jack, I'm not saying 5D3 is not an improvement. I like it better than any of the two in all aspects.
      But just to make my point: 5D2 and 5D3 share almost identical grip/handle dimensions (~33x67mm at the base), while 7D measures at ~30x63mm. I agree, it's not always the size that matters;-), and yes, the 5D3 handle is much better sculpted than 5D2. Yet for a person with somewhat smallish hands those few mm can make a significant difference.deal.gif
    • Options
      Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
      edited March 31, 2012

Yep I agree!
      The grip is a bit large for my small hands so I plan to buy a hand strap so I can maintain a firm grip on that puppy!

From what I'm seeing in these samples, it looks like the 5d3 is hosing the 7d's (already wonderful) AF, particularly since it's married to the killah ff IQ.

I'm having a serious love affair with my new 5DM3!! I just sold my 5DM2 and might be able to part with my beloved 7D without shedding a tear. iloveyou.gif