Options

Rebecca

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited March 30, 2012 in People
A couple from a recent shoot with another photographer. We met up in St Augustine, Florida to exchange sessions and had fantastic soft light all day. :)

C&C welcome!

SM-120311Rebecca019-L.jpg

SM-120311Rebecca024-L.jpg
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    Absolutely LOVE the 2nd one!

Something about the pose in the first one bothers me - her left hand (camera right) looks sort of limp and detached, somehow. Also, even though I think she's slim, it makes her hips look WAY wider than her shoulders (is she very pear-shaped, or is it the angle?
    Have you tried it as a landscape head & shoulders? I think it would look great like that! thumb.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    My biggest nit is that you can't see direction of light on her face. That adds depth to the image.
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Apart from what others mentioned about posing and light I'd say one more thing is ask her to not smile too broad. Problem with people with bigger front teeth is when they smile it ends up becoming centerpiece of picture. If possible subtle smile would have been much better.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, guys!

Diva - Hadn't thought about that! She had just lost about 40lbs so I was trying to emphasize her new slim figure, but I guess I was so focused on that narrowing at the waist/ribcage area that I forgot about the hips. Doh!

Hack - We had solid cloud cover all day and we're both natural light photogs, so it worked out perfectly for our own tastes. :) You are totally right that it doesn't add any drama or depth to the image, though.

mjoshi - Hahaha! Good point. The problem is that a big smile is her natural smile... which is better than a canned '1, 2, 3, smile!' any day of the week. :) Maybe I could have worked from a different angle to compensate...?
    Webpage

• Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    mjoshi - Hahaha! Good point. The problem is that a big smile is her natural smile... which is better than a canned '1, 2, 3, smile!' any day of the week. :) Maybe I could have worked from a different angle to compensate...?

I think the smile in 1 works well, but 2 is a little too big. If that natural smile could be toned down just a hair the teeth would be so prominent.

I agree with divamum though, that hand is the first thing I noticed. Not sure exactly how to fix it, but the fact that it's just floating there limply and almost but not quite against her body looks unnatural. ne_nau.gif
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Cute shots, I like them both. Not sure the background colors are ideal with that shirt.
    She looks nice and slim to me, with a nice personality.

A bit of looming going on with the forearm in the second shot, just a nit.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Much of this stuff I didn't give much thought to, so it's great to hear where I need to focus my attention more. :)
    Webpage

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Youve already gotten some great feedback, but Ill add this....

Walls never reflect as much light as they recieve.....so.... By quartering your subject near a wall and shooting more diaganol or parallel to the wall rather than straight at it some great short loop patterned natural lighting can be achieved. Had you taken a step or two to your left when shooting the first shot...and perhaps turning her chin slightly away from the camera would have achieved this.

Keep shootin'!!! thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing.