Options

Looking for point and shoot recomendations

moonjuicemoonjuice Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited June 28, 2004 in Cameras
I currently use a Sony DSC-F717 and I absolutely love it. However, it is a bit on the big and heavy side and I would love to have something that I can easily drop into a purse or tote to have with me at all times.

I've been eyeballing the Nikon Coolpix series of cameras for quite a while, but have been hearing complaints about low battery life and low light problems. The low light problems are major red flags for me since I prefer to take pictures with natural/available lighting whenever possible. I loath using a flash!

So, my question is can anyone recommend a good point and shoot digital camera between the $200 - $300 range?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    moonjuice wrote:
    I currently use a Sony DSC-F717 and I absolutely love it. However, it is a bit on the big and heavy side and I would love to have something that I can easily drop into a purse or tote to have with me at all times.

I've been eyeballing the Nikon Coolpix series of cameras for quite a while, but have been hearing complaints about low battery life and low light problems. The low light problems are major red flags for me since I prefer to take pictures with natural/available lighting whenever possible. I loath using a flash!

So, my question is can anyone recommend a good point and shoot digital camera between the $200 - $300 range?

Not exactly, I don't keep up with those cameras. I would recommend you visit The Imaging Resource which is a great place for this kind of info.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    All I know is what works for Me
    moonjuice wrote:

Little Bitty, Kodak CX 6230, medium. Oly C4000Zoom. Oly C4000 will take You beyond P and S, when You want to go there. Here I go, politically incorrect again, just sometimes I wonder about those Guys doing the reviews!

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/

• Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    tsiya wrote:
    Little Bitty, Kodak CX 6230, medium. Oly C4000Zoom. Oly C4000 will take You beyond P and S, when You want to go there. Here I go, politically incorrect again, just sometimes I wonder about those Guys doing the reviews!

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/

Yeah, I've been looking at the Olympus cameras. My 35 mm SLR is an Olympus and I love it. I just want to make sure I get something that is going to take good quality pictures. I'm spoiled by the quality of pictures that they Sony takes and don't want to give that up just for convenience. At the same time, I like to have a camera with me at all times and the Sony can be a bit to lug around.

Decisions, decisions :)
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    moonjuice wrote:
    Yeah, I've been looking at the Olympus cameras. My 35 mm SLR is an Olympus and I love it. I just want to make sure I get something that is going to take good quality pictures. I'm spoiled by the quality of pictures that they Sony takes and don't want to give that up just for convenience. At the same time, I like to have a camera with me at all times and the Sony can be a bit to lug around.

Decisions, decisions :)

My experience with OLY cameras was good, but not great. Chromatic aberration on my 3030 was more than I liked. Imaging-Resource notes the chromatic aberration for each camera, and I would make sure to check that out before buying. Moderate CA or higher is no good in my book.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    You might check out the Canon A-series, like the A70. Excellent images, you'd have to hold one to see if the size was right nor not, tho.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    My experience with OLY cameras was good, but not great. Chromatic aberration on my 3030 was more than I liked. Imaging-Resource notes the chromatic aberration for each camera, and I would make sure to check that out before buying. Moderate CA or higher is no good in my book.
    Forgive me for sounding like a dunce, but what exactly is CA?

Ahh, just looked it up. So that's what you call THAT! And thanks for the advice, because that's one of the things that really bugs me the most about some digital images - that and too much compression causing the wave lines around the edges of the image (I don't know ecactly what you call that).

I'm starting to wonder, after looking at different cameras and reviews, if I shouldn't just stick with another Sony.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    moonjuice wrote:
    Forgive me for sounding like a dunce, but what exactly is CA?

Ahh, just looked it up. So that's what you call THAT! And thanks for the advice, because that's one of the things that really bugs me the most about some digital images - that and too much compression causing the wave lines around the edges of the image (I don't know ecactly what you call that).

I'm starting to wonder, after looking at different cameras and reviews, if I shouldn't just stick with another Sony.

Sorry, maybe I was going too fast, but I just didn't want to type out chromatic aberration one more time.

Don't ignore the Canon cameras, IMHO (in my humble opinion) :D

my first use of a smiley on this forum, BTW (by the way)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sorry, maybe I was going too fast, but I just didn't want to type out chromatic aberration one more time.

Don't ignore the Canon cameras, IMHO (in my humble opinion) :D

my first use of a smiley on this forum, BTW (by the way)
    Heh, now I think I confused you ;)

I knew CA was chromatic aberration, but I wasn't sure what chromatic aberration was. I was just shortening it myself because I was too lazy to type it out.

Ha Ha, yes, I know what BTW is naughty.gif Been around the internet since 1995 ;)

Okay. So back to the cameras ...
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You might check out the Canon A-series, like the A70. Excellent images, you'd have to hold one to see if the size was right nor not, tho.
    Yeah, I have been looking at those too and I like them. You're right about actually holding the camera. I've been completely turned off by a camera before after just picking it up. I don't know if that's really shallow or an integral part of choosing a camera.

I feel a little silly putting this much effort into researching a P&S when I have my DSC-F717. But as much as I love it, it's a little difficult to just throw it in a tote and go and sometimes I opt not to take it, then regret not having my camera.

How common is it to have a Big A** camera but also want a P&S for convenience?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    moonjuice wrote:

Oh, very common, I think. Patch29 is a pro, for example, and got himself a Canon S1 for portability. He had a Canon S50 before that. I've read of many folks who like to keep a small camera for carrying. Nothing to feel bad about, your reasons are very sound! nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    moonjuice wrote:
    I feel a little silly putting this much effort into researching a P&S when I have my DSC-F717. But as much as I love it, it's a little difficult to just throw it in a tote and go and sometimes I opt not to take it, then regret not having my camera.

Well I have had a big dSLR for 5 years and have a Minolta DimageX that fits in a shirt pocket for times when portability or protocol rules out carting around the big rig.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    I love my Canon A80 and I still want my 10D too
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    moonjuice wrote:
    Heh, now I think I confused you ;)

I knew CA was chromatic aberration, but I wasn't sure what chromatic aberration was. I was just shortening it myself because I was too lazy to type it out.

Ha Ha, yes, I know what BTW is naughty.gif Been around the internet since 1995 ;)

Okay. So back to the cameras ...

In the Test Results/Conclusion section of every camera review, Imaging Resource provides information on chromatic aberration. Having lived with it on my 3030, I recommend you take it into consideration in buying a camera.
    Moderator Emeritus