Options

A Stunning French Beauty

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 1, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
The pre-WWII French auto industry turned out what are, unquestionably, some of the most beautiful automobiles ever manufactured. Their heavy art-deco design was very influencial....reaching way beyond just the automotive world.

This magnificent car you see here is a 1937 Talbot Lago T-150-C ( SS ). It was the prototype of the style known as Goutte du Eau " Teardrop ". The Fagoni & Falaschi styling here is both flamboyant and elegant.

It is believed that only about 10 of these striking coupes were manufactured during the 1937 / 1938 years. Of those, this one is the only one to have been built with an aluminum body and fenders. It's a shame you can't see this car in person....it's nothing short of breathtaking.

Tom

Amelia-Show-2-2012-032-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-029-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-031-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-026-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-036-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    Rob DouglasRob Douglas Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Remarkable images! Well captured color saturation and sharpness. The reflections of the crowd off the smooth mirror like surface goes to show the flawlessness of quality and craftsmanship. I would consider this a work of art first, and a vehicle second.
    1D Mark IIn | EF 28-70mm 2.8L | EF 50mm 1.8 | 580EX
  • Options
    SpotzoSpotzo Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I love the swooping lines of the fenders. Beautiful car, very nicely photographed.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Beautiful car ... certainly different looking, but that's what makes cars so interesting. Neat looking door handle, but where are the headlights?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Remarkable images! Well captured color saturation and sharpness. The reflections of the crowd off the smooth mirror like surface goes to show the flawlessness of quality and craftsmanship. I would consider this a work of art first, and a vehicle second.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't agree with you more.....the artistry in this car's design and manufacture overshadows its practical use. The fact is, however, these cars were powerful and built as tough as anything around at the time. They were fine sporting machines.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Spotzo wrote: »
    I love the swooping lines of the fenders. Beautiful car, very nicely photographed.

Thanks for looking in and for the nice comment.

Tom
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 13, 2012
    Jeeze, after a title like that all I get is a car? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Seriously, that's quite a machine and your photography does it justice. clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful car ... certainly different looking, but that's what makes cars so interesting. Neat looking door handle, but where are the headlights?

You know, Mary, it's the character that the cars of this ilk had that I miss the most. In the post-WWII auto industry, beauty of design slowly gave way to safety concerns, emission regulations, and economy of production. The headlights on this car are hidden behind those two small " grills " on either side of the main center grill.

Take care,

Tom

BTW, there's a red Cadillac convertible I'll show soon that will knock your socks off.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Richard wrote: »

Seriously, that's quite a machine and your photography does it justice. clap.gifclap.gif

You know, Richard, if you had come at me with any other kind of an opening statement than this, I would have been sorely disappointed. :D I can see you whipping around Spain in this thing.

Thanks for your support,

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Richard wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif But I am loath to report I was thinking car ahead of anything else. Am thinking I should be alarmed but for that I am remarkably calm about it. headscratch.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif But I am loath to report I was thinking car ahead of anything else. Am thinking I should be alarmed but for that I am remarkably calm about it. headscratch.gif

Well, Michael, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Knowing that it was me doing the posting, you could almost have bet the farm that the subject would be a car. So don't feel bad.:D

Tom
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Beautiful.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    whoa ... gorgeous..

Very well taken, really nice work Tom
    Rags
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 14, 2012
    I love the look cars had during that period. This is a fine example and well photographed.

Thanks for sharing!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Gorgeous car!!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    wfeller wrote: »
    Beautiful.

Thanks for the visit, Walter.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    whoa ... gorgeous..

Very well taken, really nice work Tom

You're so right, Rags. That thing is a real looker. Thanks for your support.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    I love the look cars had during that period. This is a fine example and well photographed.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much for looking in, Ian. I appreciate your nice comment.

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    Stella7d wrote: »
    Gorgeous car!!

Thanks for the visit. Let's all chip in and buy one. Everyone gets it for one day each year.

Tom
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    What a beautiful car. The low back wheels are similar to many of the post war French cars (thinking Citroen in particular).
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    Internaut wrote: »
    What a beautiful car. The low back wheels are similar to many of the post war French cars (thinking Citroen in particular).

Thanks for looking in. That Citroen line of cars was somewhat quirky....particularly its suspension system.

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    I won the farm--I knew it would be a French car! :D Tom, I never knew there were so many different car models in the world until I started following your car shots! I even watched a car auction on tv recently but all I saw were camaros, corvettes, and a model T. The T is the one I really wanted! :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Absolutely stunning!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather