Options

LR4 question

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited April 2, 2012 in Finishing School
Hey guys and gals,
in LR4 under soft proofing there's an option for Color Space profile, what's the best option for this AdobeRGB1998 or sRGB?

Thanks
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 1, 2012
    Typically when soft proofing, you want the printer/paper profile that you are wanting to emulate.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    that makes sense. Put what about the other options, AdobeRGB1998 or sRGB? What's better or preferred?

R.
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    If you are sending the image to the web: sRGB.

If you are sending it to a lab, you will be converting to a jpeg, and should check with them for the best color space. Most will do color correction for you, because you will notice how limiting sRGB is after playing with the softproofing.

I have used softproofing on 2 recent prints going to my Epson 3880. The first had some "red" out of gamut in the blue area. I adjusted the saturation in that area, and was able to get rid of the "red" without much change to the image.
    On the other image, there was quite a bit of "red" in the yellow regions. I could not get rid of the "red" in the softproofing without removing almost all of the yellow and golds of the image. This was an image with golden sunshine, so that was not an option. I ended up not modifying the image for the printer, and let the printer decide what to do. There did not seem to be too much different between my monitor and the print, and I was happy with the result.

Based on this experience, I need to get a better understanding of how I will use the softproofing going forward.

I am new to printing, so this softproofing in LR4 is great. So much to learn.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012