Options

More studio practice - rim light

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited April 2, 2012 in Technique
So we set up again today and moved a few bits and pieces around. tried to take into account the things that people here said, and also have a go at something with a little more "modelling" light etc.

This was one of the results. We have a main light above the camera left shoulder giving the broad light on the face. We have a light behind the subject giving a hair/rim light. And a reflector camera right giving fill to the model's left face.

Hopefully there is a little more definition here, a little more shape to the face and the shadows. We moved the lights around, set to 1/2 or full, metered and set apertures, etc. All to get a balance. Did we achieve it? Let me know what you think.

6886342986_27302cdf22_o.jpg
31-3-2012 Tim at Studio Broad and Rim by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    i like it for a standard portrait...you could darken and make more contrasty in post but each to his / her own taste and the taste of the client and intent of the image ... yes I would say you were successful.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    i like it for a standard portrait...you could darken and make more contrasty in post but each to his / her own taste and the taste of the client and intent of the image ... yes I would say you were successful.

Yes, others have said "more shadow on the left of the face" but we actually tlit some of the shadow with the reflector as we thought it was a little too dark for this one.

Cheers
  • Options
    Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Just my opinions, but for me, the front lighting is more of a "corporate photo" sort of look...very even and non-dramatic. Something's a little odd about having such a strong and "artistic" backlight. For me, it doesn't make sense. I agree with the fore-mentioned... create more contrast between the right and left sides of the face. ie... move the reflector back a bit. Your exposure may be a hair overexposed also.

Are you lighting with speed lights? The light looks a bit harsh. If you don't have a softbox or umbrella, point it backwards and bounce onto a reflector or something white.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Overall, you did well. It really is a matter of taste and I prefer more dramatic, modeled lighting. I'm just being picky. :)

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2012
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Just my opinions, but for me, the front lighting is more of a "corporate photo" sort of look...very even and non-dramatic. Something's a little odd about having such a strong and "artistic" backlight. For me, it doesn't make sense. I agree with the fore-mentioned... create more contrast between the right and left sides of the face. ie... move the reflector back a bit. Your exposure may be a hair overexposed also.

Are you lighting with speed lights? The light looks a bit harsh. If you don't have a softbox or umbrella, point it backwards and bounce onto a reflector or something white.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Overall, you did well. It really is a matter of taste and I prefer more dramatic, modeled lighting. I'm just being picky. :)

-Rob

The rear light was too harsh, I know. the lights are full studio lights. I want to get my mate's 580EX in the background for the hair light next time. Then we free up the second studio light to help create more light and shadow on the front. Plans to pop to the studio this afternoon, so will be trying again. :)

Cheers