Options

Teaching middle schoolers

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited April 2, 2012 in The Big Picture
I have been asked to teach 2 classes a week for middle schoolers in their after school program this coming fall, different kids in each class so 2 different classes. I am curious if anyone here has had any experience teaching the 11-14 year old set. I have a basic outline for the 10-12 weeks down but would love any insight and suggestions from others. Any websites to take a look at or to gain insight from. I figure the first session should be about how to use the camera (point and shoots) and briefly about composition. Then I thought we would do weekly or every other week treasure hunts of sorts. We would go around the school or outside on the grounds and have to find things of certain colors, textures, close ups, etc.
Again any feedback is much appreciated.
Kristina

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    KvPhoto wrote: »
    I have been asked to teach 2 classes a week for middle schoolers in their after school program this coming fall, different kids in each class so 2 different classes. I am curious if anyone here has had any experience teaching the 11-14 year old set. I have a basic outline for the 10-12 weeks down but would love any insight and suggestions from others. Any websites to take a look at or to gain insight from. I figure the first session should be about how to use the camera (point and shoots) and briefly about composition. Then I thought we would do weekly or every other week treasure hunts of sorts. We would go around the school or outside on the grounds and have to find things of certain colors, textures, close ups, etc.
    Again any feedback is much appreciated.
    Kristina

You don't mention anything here or even on your site about yourself. Are you a teacher? What's your experience in this setting.
    tom wise
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    My first thought would be to use the first class to generate interest and enthusiasm rather than button pushing.

Maybe show some of your work as well as others, Ansel Adams, some street photography, etc. Discus what they see, what they like, what they hope to get out of the class, etc. This hopefully Will guide you in teaching the rest of the classes.

Sam
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    Yep, I have taught middle schoolers. Message me for some ideas.
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    YES! Oh yes I did this a few months ago for the first time - a very similar program to yours. It was a blast!! My first advice: they know a LOT more than I did at that age. They had the basics of using the camera down and a few even understood how the camera fully works. That shocked me. I will tell you this: when I started I had 9 kids. By the time the session was done 7 weeks later I was up to 15!! They loved it so much they talked about it all the time at school, and got more kiddos to come to the program. Their favorite activity was a scavenger hunt I put together. I put a list of all sorts of weird things, like 2 people holding hands or "what boys do" and got some AMAZING results. Each week I had some sort of lesson and then an activity or two, and then I uploaded all the pics and showed them their results that same day - the next week I would tell them who had the best shot from the week before (I was judge, Laughing.gif) and that winner got to pick a candy bar. They loved it! Good luck and inbox me if you need any thoughts!