Options

A 3 year old going on 13...

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited April 7, 2012 in People
1. This is a photo of a friends 3 year old. When they are out for a walk she will stop and talk up a storm. Some of the stuff she says is so comical! One time she sang to me, so I started calling her Super Star. Thus the second photo below, which I gave to her parents which they got a chuckle over.

090911-110-L.jpg

2. I forget where I found this magizine cover, but thought it was fitting for the photo above since this iis the nick name I gave this little girl.

090911-110-mag-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as always, C&C welcomed!

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    howdy... I'm guessing you don't have Adobe Lightroom... LR4 is the latest & greatest and can probably go a long way to saving this image... Try it out...free download & 30 day trial... there are a lot of toots on Youtube to help get you up to speed and its pretty easy to wrap your head around whats going on.
    So... I bet you're saying.... why do I need LR- Just do this & you'll see... download & install LR4... import this one image into it & then click on DEVELOP... You're going to see all sorts of sliders... fear not... watch the videos... but once you get there... just go ahead and grab the shadow slider... Viola... the magic begins... have fun with it...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Rather than suggesting the chap use software to "save" a photograph, you could point out how it could have been captured better: such as, say, a fill flash to bring highlights to the eyes, better expose the face - which is rather dark.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Thanks for the comments. I do have LR3 and I shoot RAW. I chose to convert this one to JPG straight from the camera. I doubt flash would have heped with this one as she was almost a half a block away when I snapped that one. I liked that particular image because of how the breeze was blowing her hair around. If you think brightening the eyes will make this one better, I'll go back and see what I can do, and repost my results.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    I'd love to give that image a whirl, it is a even better photograph than you realize.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    I'd love to give that image a whirl, it is a even better photograph than you realize.

Thanks VayCayMom for viewing and commenting! Go ahead and play with it. All I ask is that you explain what you did.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    I think this is a sweet photo and I love how her curls are lit by the sunlight. Since this was shot from far away, you did not have the option to use a reflector or turn her more towards the light. I do think with processing her little face & eyes could be lightened up a bit. Adorable child!!
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Her face is obviously underexposed, but that doesn't necessarily ruin the shot. Just changes the mood. I think I'd prefer it brighter and with some light in her eyes, but that's just a question of personal taste and style.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2012
    Ok. I re-edited this photo, but I personally think I might have gone a bit to far. What do you think? I did most of my edits in Vivesa, then ran it through LR3 again to remove some noise.

090911-110-color-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    Ok...I upgraded Lightroom to version 4 and revisited the first photo I posted, and think this one looks much better. I think LR4 was a huge improvement over version 3, and I'm glad I upgraded!

So, am I getting closer? If you see something that should be done that I missed, feel free to give me a swift kick in the seat of the pants, and let me know. I'm a big (old too) boy, so I can take it.

090911-111-L.jpg

BTW...those of you running Portrait Pro upgrade to version 10 yet? I did and was surprised to find out that it now works with RAW files. There's supposed to be a plug-in for LR, but I have yet to get it to work with LR4.

Anyway, thanks for viewing, and a BIG thanks to those who take the time to provide some C&C!

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    Stella7d wrote: »
    I think this is a sweet photo and I love how her curls are lit by the sunlight. Since this was shot from far away, you did not have the option to use a reflector or turn her more towards the light. I do think with processing her little face & eyes could be lightened up a bit. Adorable child!!

Thanks for the comments Stella. I did redo it, after I upgraded LR, and think it's definately better. I'm sure someone will see something I missed, and hope they point it out. When I took that shot, she was like a half a block away. If I would have waited till she got closer, I might have lost the breeze that was available at that time.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    Her face is obviously underexposed, but that doesn't necessarily ruin the shot. Just changes the mood. I think I'd prefer it brighter and with some light in her eyes, but that's just a question of personal taste and style.

Thanks for the comments Gotham. I had brightened it up, but I felt I went to far after seeing it online. I took another stab at it after I upgraded LR to version 4 and think it is much better. I also upgraded Portrait Pro to version 10 after I already uploaded the last edit. I just finished looking at some of the new features, and one that looks promising is the ability to add catch lights in the eye at the click of a button. But the most important added feature to me is the ability to edit RAW files.

GaryB
    GaryB