Options

Diffusing strobes for reception?

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited April 7, 2012 in Weddings
Just wondering if any of you diffuse your strobes during the reception and what you use? Ive only setup lights a few times and have had mixed results using them but at the time, leaving the lights bare with the 7.5" reflectors on.

I get great results when I use them in combo with a 580 on the HS and using the optical slaves within the lights (photogenic powerlights) instead of using the pocketwizards on the HS.

Example:
untitled-13-M.jpg

Why I ask? Ive had a couple of complaints from guests that the flash is awfully bright for a low lit reception. I too have stood to close to them while my partner has shot and it is intense. At the same time though, Im not sure I would get good results from diffusing them.

Just wondering what you all do and if anyone has any tips other than trying to place the lights in a less obscure place..

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I think you may be mixing up two things.

Are you saying the lights are too powerful or too small? In diffusing a light source the primary goal is (usually) to make the light source larger and softer. A side effect of this is that it often strips away some power from the light, but this is just a side effect. A diffused light source will keep shadows to a minimum and have nice soft transitions from light to dark areas. Of course you have to keep in mind your light to subject distance....

If you are saying your lights are too bright, just turn them down. If you can't get them down low enough (depending on your strobe) you may have to use ND filters on the lights.
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    You're right, I shouldve clarified a little more. Thats what I get for rushing.

I use my hotshoe mounted flash as a main light source and use strobes placed along walls/corners soley as backlighting. I actually like firing the strobes not diffused because I get good results from these as backlighting but dont want to blind the guests. Along the top of the image, you can see the light Im refering to.

Here is another example:
    untitled-18-M.jpg

My question shouldve read, does anyone use strobes for backlighting during receptions and if so, do you diffuse the light?
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I just so happened to come across this article about reception lighting today.

I personally set up two strobes in different areas of the venue and bounce them off the ceiling/walls. I know that some folks like to have one or two set up around the venue (either bouncing or diffused) and then one on-camera to bounce off the ceiling or walls.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    I just so happened to come across this article about reception lighting today.

I personally set up two strobes in different areas of the venue and bounce them off the ceiling/walls. I know that some folks like to have one or two set up around the venue (either bouncing or diffused) and then one on-camera to bounce off the ceiling or walls.

Thanks for sharing that link.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    My question shouldve read, does anyone use strobes for backlighting during receptions and if so, do you diffuse the light?

Yes, I use strobes during receptions for backlighting and would never use anything to diffuse the light. Normally they are too far away to have any use in diffusing (remember the inverse square law? I like to keep my lights as far away as possible) and I don't like to draw any more attention to my ugly lights than I have to. If anything, I put grids on them to tighten up the spread.
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    Yeah I don't defuse any strobes that I set up around the room as then I'd be trying to avoid getting them in shot. Bare strobes look cool in a shot. An umbrella or softbox does not.
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I don't use any diffusion. I mix the strobes for key light and for fill light.