Options

Is your Mac infected?

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited April 8, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I'm sure I'm going to take flack for this-- but if you are running a Mac OSX device, do yourself a huge favor right now and follow these two instructions, then come back and read further:

1. Do a software update and install the latest Java patch.
2. Install an AV solution on your Mac. (Avast and ClamXAV are free.)

There is a nasty new Trojan variant called Flashback/K that will install without an admin password. All you have to do is go to a site that has been compromised to get it. It currently has infected at least 600,000 macs, (and counting!) the vast majority in the United States and Canada.

It will not install if you have AV software installed and running on your mac: VirusBarrier, iAntiVirus, avast!, ClamXAV.

If you think you may be infected, you can go here for instructions on manually detecting and removing the Trojan.

Comments

• Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Thank you for posting this. It's high time that folks realize that Macs can be infected just like PCs; just that there's (currently) less malware that target Macs.
    I will look into it on my wife's Mac tonight.
  • Options
    kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    It will not install if you have AV software installed and running on your mac: VirusBarrier, iAntiVirus, avast!, ClamXAV.

Also Sophos.
    Based on my experience with AV in PC-land I was reluctant to install Mac OSX AV software for a long time but Sophos is very unobtrusive.
  • Options
    DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    kurtw wrote: »
    Also Sophos.
    Based on my experience with AV in PC-land I was reluctant to install Mac OSX AV software for a long time but Sophos is very unobtrusive.

Apple sent out updates last night. Both my Macs were updated with a full reboot. But better safe then sorry, so thanks for posting for those that did not get the updates right away, or ignored them
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    Test-Pilot wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this. It's high time that folks realize that Macs can be infected just like PCs; just that there's (currently) less malware that target Macs.
    I will look into it on my wife's Mac tonight.

This will be changing the more popular Macs become. As usual, practive safe computing :ivar
    Brian -
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    1. Do a software update and install the latest Java patch.
    2. Install an AV solution on your Mac. (Avast and ClamXAV are free.)

If you read Avast EULA you can see that you pay them by giving them the authority to download anything from your machine their software thinks is potentially infected (including emails, programs, files).

Will have a loog at Sophos now ..
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    Thanks for this post. Is there a way to update/protect an ipad or do trojans infect tablets?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    I'm not aware of any current threat to iOS devices ... yet. The closed infrastructure that Apple has implemented seems to be holding up for now.

Did find a discussion of AV for the iOS here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3162148?start=0&tstart=0
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    If you read Avast EULA you can see that you pay them by giving them the authority to download anything from your machine their software thinks is potentially infected (including emails, programs, files).
    Grim but not surprising- nothing is really free except thought.

MarkR, why are you sure you would take flack for this post? What am I missing?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    marionet wrote: »
    Grim but not surprising- nothing is really free except thought.

MarkR, why are you sure you would take flack for this post? What am I missing?

I have in the past advocated that Mac users install an AV solution on their devices.

The usual results are either denial or even outrage. Of course, it doesn't help that Apple has in the past spoken with a bit of a forked tongue-- the "Get A Mac" campaign strongly suggested that malwares were a PC-only problem, while Apple silently mandated Norton AV on all macs behind the Genius Bar.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    gerg.gifIn my old office, we ran macs. Our techs refused to let me install virus-scanning software on them.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    gerg.gifIn my old office, we ran macs. Our techs refused to let me install virus-scanning software on them.

With good reason. Things have changed now, I think Sophos Home Edition is good and free. And there's reason to install it now.

But a couple of years ago those apps were doing more harm than good. I forget the particulars (I think it was Norton, but I'm unsure), but there was one anti-virus app that caused damage, and this at a time when there were no viruses in the wild, whatsoever. I wouldn't have advised installing those apps at that time, either. They were a greater risk than the malware they were intended to protect you from.

And for the record, this thing still isn't a virus, it's a Trojan Horse. Virus is losing it's specificity and becoming a generic for malware, because I guess grandma never heard of malware.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I have in the past advocated that Mac users install an AV solution on their devices.

The usual results are either denial or even outrage. Of course, it doesn't help that Apple has in the past spoken with a bit of a forked tongue-- the "Get A Mac" campaign strongly suggested that malwares were a PC-only problem, while Apple silently mandated Norton AV on all macs behind the Genius Bar.

Disagreement isn't _necessarily_ "flak".

I do think it is interesting that this trojan looked for AV software - and not the other way around (unless I have read faulty reports of exactly what happened).

Are there any AV installations that identified it ahead of time?

My view is that AV software is insufficient by itself, and really far less significant than being careful where you go, and what you click on.

Macs are not invincible, but neither is their security advantage solely a matter of having fewer installations in use.

Edit: Oh, and while we are talking about security, maybe a good move would be to disable Java.
    {all of the above spoken in a friendly tone, with no flak intended :D }
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012

Edit: Oh, and while we are talking about security, maybe a good move would be to disable Java.

I just installed PS on my new machine. The installation required Java.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I just installed PS on my new machine. The installation required Java.

Interesting! Is this on a Mac?

Maybe the answer is to have two browsers installed. One for every-day use which has Java disabled, and the other with it enabled for when you are quite consciously doing something that requires it.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    Interesting! Is this on a Mac?

Maybe the answer is to have two browsers installed. One for every-day use which has Java disabled, and the other with it enabled for when you are quite consciously doing something that requires it.

Yes. A Mac. It was probably the Akamai installer that required it?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    This article from Forbes has a link to a program that will do a quick scan of you Mac. Quick and easy, if you do have the Flashback Malware, it's easy to remove.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/04/07/an-easy-way-to-check-your-mac-for-the-flashback-malware/?partner=yahootix
    Brian -
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    DigiScapes wrote: »
    This article from Forbes has a link to a program that will do a quick scan of you Mac. Quick and easy, if you do have the Flashback Malware, it's easy to remove.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/04/07/an-easy-way-to-check-your-mac-for-the-flashback-malware/?partner=yahootix

Thanks for this link!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Yes. A Mac. It was probably the Akamai installer that required it?

The delivery mechanism, rather than the actual installer, I would think (but I will not claim to know). If the file were available by itself (and just required a serial number and/or registration) or via the Mac App store there would be no need for Java.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    Either way, I couldn't install it without installing Java.
    Moderator Emeritus