Options

Useing a slide projector for backdrops

the5schluetersthe5schlueters Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited April 8, 2012 in Accessories
I am wanting to use a slide projector to create backdrops. Has anyone done this or know how to do it?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    I am wanting to use a slide projector to create backdrops. Has anyone done this or know how to do it?

I presume you mean a projected background. I've not used or seen one for 35 years or so.

There are 2 - different methods:
    Front screen projection.

Rear screen projection.
    Front screen projection gained the most press years ago, because it could be accomplished in a smaller space, more typical to home studios.

Rear screen projection is potentially easier, but requires around twice the room and a (typically) brighter projector.

Both systems are difficult to light, and the front screen method also requires careful attention to alignment. Both systems have been rendered nearly obsolete by modern digital background systems; blue screen, green screen (both using chroma key) and luminance key background removal and replacement systems. The major advantage of the modern digital systems is that any number of backgrounds may be chosen for each pose or original capture, vs a single background for the background projection systems.

There is also the method of using a slide projector to project a pattern onto the background, similar to a fresnel light and gobo. A focused electronic flash is typically used for this today.

If you are still interested in a background projection system:

A front screen projection system is described here:
    http://www.bukisa.com/articles/38377_choosing-the-right-projected-background-for-portrait-photography
    (I couldn't find anyone selling a complete system anymore.)

A rear screen projection system would use a very deep room and a very bright projector, along with a rear projection screen, like:
    http://www.da-lite.com/products/index.php?cID=10
    http://www.draperinc.com/projectionscreens/rearScreens.asp

An extremely wide angle lens will allow shorter projection distances (allowing for use in a smaller space), but may introduce optical distortions. I'll leave you to your own resources in finding a suitably bright slide projector.

For both systems you need very careful control of light ratios and light spill.

In summary, I cannot recommend using a slide projector for projected backgrounds anymore, because the digital systems are much more versatile.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    This compahy, Virtual Backgrounds, used to be called Enviromental Projection Systems or EPS, moved from Austin to San Marcos Tx. ... here is a link to their home page http://tinyurl.com/7oc6bge

I am very surprised they are still in business...as you are tied to a camera stand that holds a projector and glass beam splitter and the camera sits behind the beam splitter....
    When I set one up here they used what were called Aurora Lights for main, fill and background lights...these large flash units looked light florescent light tubes, but would flash and repower like
    normal studio flash units (2-5 seconds)....back in studio in a 1 hr lab the system ran about $35K ... the lab and studio lasted less than 1 yr....Good Luck

I did some pix with the system and it was fun, especially beach or snow scenes and your subject floated on top of them...also scenes with grass were the most hilarious as the subject floated on the tips of the grass .... even tho I shoot off a tripod a lot, I do not like being tied to a pod or camera stand...so shooting off the floor or off a ladder is out...not for me.

EDIT: I went looking for emails from them, but could not find... ... ... I had asked them about the flooring (backfround on floor for great dof) and I do believe they told me they did not have that any longer....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website