DSS #100 - Travelers Hotel

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I suddenly remembered this building earlier today. I would have preferred a different sky. I may try again if I get some better clouds this week.
I have three versions, all about the same, slightly different crops and processing. Do any of these stand out for anyone?
Thanks for your input!

Travelers-Hotel-L.jpg

Travelers-3-L.jpg

travelers-2-L.jpg

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I like the second one. My only nit is the power lines. Maybe you could clone those out?

thumb.gif

Sherry
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I think I like the lines of the first one best.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Aaron, I am questioning the border myself... I like it, but not sure if it is within the border rules.
    Sherry, I have reworked it to take out the lines. I had already taken out a light post and newspaper stand that were completely out of place.
    Greg, Thanks for the input. I was afraid that the right side on the 1st one would be a distraction.

Here are my 2 updated versions. Do they need more age to them?
    Travelers-8-L.jpg

Travelers-9-L.jpg
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I kinda LIKE the power lines in 'em. That makes it seem more real to me, for some reason.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
    edited April 9, 2012
    I kinda LIKE the power lines in 'em. That makes it seem more real to me, for some reason.

Thanks, That was my intent in leaving them when I took out the modern light pole. They looked like something I would see in an old street scene photograph. I am still going back and forth on it.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I like #1 best for the feeling of old and also like the power lines for authenticity thumb.gif

I think the border is OK the way it is - I have one too in my entry, but now.... hmmm headscratch.gif
    we better ask Joyce.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    Thanks Tatiana. The building on the right side looks ok to you then? I was concerned it looked to new.
    The border, already asked :D There seem to be several of us with that question this round. I guess because I think of old photos having that edge.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    Thanks Tatiana. The building on the right side looks ok to you then? I was concerned it looked to new.
    The border, already asked :D There seem to be several of us with that question this round. I guess because I think of old photos having that edge.

You can try distressing the right side of the photo to make that modern day building look not so obvious. Old photos do become faded over time and could have had some moisture damage or staining on them. mwink.gif

Definitely leave the power lines in.
    edited April 9, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »
    You can try distressing the right side of the photo to make that modern day building look not so obvious. Old photos do become faded over time and could have had some moisture damage or staining on them. mwink.gif

Definitely leave the power lines in.

15524779-Ti.gif

Right - I even haven't noticed the right side building as being distracting in any way - it doesn't look that modern, but yes, give it some brushes :)

- Maybe you can try some more contrast too... headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    rolleyes1.gif now we are stretching my abilities.
    ok, off to figure it out. thumb.gif
    edited April 9, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif now we are stretching my abilities.
    ok, off to figure it out. thumb.gif

Even if you don't wind up liking it or using it, at least you'll know how easy/difficult this is to accomplish in GIMP.
    edited April 9, 2012
    It may very well be easy and I just haven't figured it out. :D
    This one was easy just burning the areas, but not sure it is really what I was going for... but getting there. I am still searching for more options.

Travelers-Hotel2-L.jpg
    edited April 9, 2012
    A little too much..., but getting closer :)
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    Try fading it instead of burning it by adding this Vignette to your image: http://www.gimpology.com/submission/view/authentic_vintage_effect

Scroll down to where you see Adding a Vignette and follow the directions there -- except where it says to fill your selection with black, fill it with white instead. If the white isn't cutting it, try changing it to the off white shade you have in thte photo. You may also want to experiment with the Feather selection. Try cranking it up to 250 of the setting of 150 doesn't look right to your eye. You can also erase sections of the vignette layer with a broad feathery brush to change the effect of the vignette. Just play, play, play. :D
    edited April 9, 2012
    Thanks Linda, I hadn't thought of fading it out... I will give that a shot next. They are all starting to blur together as I keep trying different things.

Here is the latest version that I have... I think I am leaning toward this version (at this moment anyway)

Travelers-14-L.jpg

and here is a couple of versions of the light vignette... not too crazy about these.
    Travelers-17-L.jpg

Travelers-18-L.jpg
    edited April 9, 2012
    Try erasing the vignette on all but the section on the right. Also try changing the vignette layer opacity or change the blending mode from "Normal" to "Screen". See if that changes it somewhat more to your liking. You also don't have to use an oval-shaped vignette -- you can try a rectangle or a custom shape.
    edited April 9, 2012
    I will probably play with it more later. I have got to walk away for awhile. So much I need to be doing and I have played all morning. :D
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012

I was about to say the same thing. I've got my parents old pictures...without the power lines, it looks less authentic for the period that you are looking at representing.

Nice image...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    The power lines are older than 1912
    http://fredlocke.insulators.info/Porcelain_Insulators/Multipart_History/Multipart_Styles/Multipart_p3.htm
    In your new post, I like number 2. The color is better to me, but I don't like the tight crop to the roof on right side.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Late to the conversation (been in a couple travelers hotels myself recently), but just wanted say how cool this thread is as an example of the community of learning and sharing that can go on here! For the record, I think this challenge is more about processing than creating the perfect 1912 scene. That said, I like where you've gone with keeping the power lines, and the right side.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug