Options

Portraits: Valiko

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited April 10, 2012 in People
11412.jpg

Valiko Kochiashvili - art director of our Voronezh Opera and Ballet theatre.
Yuri

Comments

• Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    Nice image, I might do a severe crop though, below the second shelf, right above the brown framed picture, over his left shoulder. I feel I'm "losing" him in the background. Since he's facing to our right, I would leave a smidgen more crop on his left side where his left foot is pointing. This will also get rid of some of the distortion from the lens. If you want to leave this a larger crop, you might try some lens correction to straighten it.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Yuri:

To me, this is a great picture of someone surrounded for what he likes and loves best.
    Very casual one, with a large background that adds to the feeling of intellectuality.
    Even the broken shoe adds to the value of who he is.
    Colors are natural and makes the frame warm.
    Just my humble opinion (JMHO).
    I believe there is nothing to change there.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, forgot to write something: MY DEEPEST RESPECT TO YOUR WORK.
    Y.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    The items behind him are on display because they all mean something to him, everything on those shelves and the art on the floor has a story. That wall could provide unending conversations. Great job.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Nice image, I might do a severe crop though, below the second shelf, right above the brown framed picture, over his left shoulder. I feel I'm "losing" him in the background. Since he's facing to our right, I would leave a smidgen more crop on his left side where his left foot is pointing. This will also get rid of some of the distortion from the lens. If you want to leave this a larger crop, you might try some lens correction to straighten it.

Yuri is one of the best here at utilizing backgrounds to tell a story. I suggest you do a search on his name here and view some of his work. I agree with what others have said, and wouldn't change a thing.

Nice job Yuri, as always!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Thanks, I guess the composure of a shot is pretty subjective. I assumed with the word "portrait", it was more about the person, not so much about his surroundings, though they certainly play a role as well. The reason I suggested a crop, was the disconcerting shelf angle at the top of the image, running downhill to the right. Or the right vertical support running up and curving to the right? I like the shot, it's honest, unpretentious. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2012
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    I agree that the background is a big part of the portrait and should stay. I think if I were to re-shoot it, however, I'd pull him away from the background a little bit more and throw it a tiny bit OOF so that there would be a little bit more separation between him and the bg (also, throwing in a rim light would help a lot, I think).