Options

b. owls in the weeds C&C appreciated

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in Wildlife
A couple of burrowing owls. After seeing a sequence of burrowing owls someone posted last year, yawning, scratching, peering strangely, greeting the sun, I've been reluctant to post mine, because they don't really compare.

Main question is, how much does the grass and weeds overlapping them distract? I tried to clone them out (actually cloned out a couple of green grass stalks across the 1st one's face), but against the feather detail it was really tough. I'm actually kind of liking the stick sticking out behind the last one, but maybe that's just me. Any other C&C appreciated as well.

1) outstanding in his field
i-FfFBV4x-M.jpg

2a)
i-8Swt5qW-M.jpg
2b) overcooked maybe? Crop better? or worse?
i-sBNSTnC-M.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Great captures!

The stick is "okay" in my eyes. I like 2a more because it has more depth.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    I prefer 2a also. The first image is OK, it shows your subject in its environment. A lower angle might have improved it a tad.

Try not to compare your work with others. Its not a competition. The key is to improve your captures as you get more experience.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Very nice captures here.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    2b is my favorite. I would absolutly remove the stick. It's a destracting element and adds no value to the image. In fact it looks like the stick is stuck into the left wing of the bird.
    Considering the rules of thirds, you have framed the bird very well, I don't like the cropped version as well as I do the original. Images like these need to be tack sharp, they look a little soft. I think a splash of increased contrast may help. Love the eyes!

My 2 cents, for whatever its worth...