Options

Do You Like This Effect?

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited April 12, 2012 in People
I was playing around and came up with this simple effect. I kind of like it, but as I've been accused of having all my taste in my mouth :D, I thought I would get the opinion of you folks.

6887058084_dcfe82d889_o.jpg
Picture In Picture Head Shot by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    umm I might like it better if the crop of the inner box was different, maybe L instead of P and if the difference between the 2 in exposure were not so far apart. I could like it but not in this example.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I think it would work better if the inset were frames how you would if it were the only part of the picture (in which case the eyes seems a bit too high in the frame), and then the extra is around it just matte.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    umm I might like it better if the crop of the inner box was different, maybe L instead of P and if the difference between the 2 in exposure were not so far apart. I could like it but not in this example.
    Thanks for the honest input! I have made a different crop and will post it below. I must say though, I had this image printed and I really like it from across the room. It does something viewed from a distance. Maybe it makes a bigger impact viewed that way. Not sure.
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I think it would work better if the inset were frames how you would if it were the only part of the picture (in which case the eyes seems a bit too high in the frame), and then the extra is around it just matte.

Good point. Using your and "Mom's" crop comments, I did a rework. When it comes back from printing, I'll let ya know how they stack up side by side from a distance.

7036275239_ccf28b81e6_o.jpg
    Beautiful Teen Up Close by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    Interesting I must say...reminds me of the face recognition box in iPhoto
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    I like the second one much more than the first.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    Interesting idea Bryce. Not sure if I like it or not but it's a different treatment worth seeing.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Interesting I must say...reminds me of the face recognition box in iPhoto
    Not sure exactly what that is, but, it beats "That Stinks"!:D
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I like the second one much more than the first.
    Thanks for the input. It helps a bunch.
    Interesting idea Bryce. Not sure if I like it or not but it's a different treatment worth seeing.
    Thanks John.

Not sure if I should just can this whole idea, but something about it intrigues me. I keep thinking if I just find the exact right mix, it's gonna be good.

Thanks to those of you that have taken the time to offer an opinion. And if you have time to chime in with your two cents on this one, thanks again!

Here's another "beta" version.

6900324558_faa727cfa8_o.jpg
    Pretty Teen Girl Head Shot by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    I like the cropping on the "Beta". I'd like to see what a little more blur looks like on the outer frame.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    I've been musing a response for a few days, and have held back for a couple of reasons.
    I'm torn on this. There's something I really like about the idea, and yet, something doesn't quite "jive" for me. I've been trying to figure out both elements (what I like, what I don't like), without much success.

So I'm going to stream-of-consciousness brainstorm and hope it triggers some commentary

- would it work better if the shots and the inset were vertical and non square?
    - would it work better if the inset was closer to the edge, which in a framed situation would simply pick up off the edge of a mat?
    - would it work better if the outer edge was, rather than darkened, de-saturated?

Please understand: I'm not trashing this, nor intending to. Something works in this, but it needs some finetuning. At least, that's my view. I like it. Again, not sure why ...
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2012
    jpc wrote: »
    I like the cropping on the "Beta". I'd like to see what a little more blur looks like on the outer frame.

Thanks!! That was going to be Beta 2.0 after I see this one printed and on a wall.
    I've been musing a response for a few days, and have held back for a couple of reasons.
    I'm torn on this. There's something I really like about the idea, and yet, something doesn't quite "jive" for me. I've been trying to figure out both elements (what I like, what I don't like), without much success.

So I'm going to stream-of-consciousness brainstorm and hope it triggers some commentary

- would it work better if the shots and the inset were vertical and non square?
    - would it work better if the inset was closer to the edge, which in a framed situation would simply pick up off the edge of a mat?
    - would it work better if the outer edge was, rather than darkened, de-saturated?

Please understand: I'm not trashing this, nor intending to. Something works in this, but it needs some finetuning. At least, that's my view. I like it. Again, not sure why ...

I'm right there with you on the fine tuning. There is something I like, but something doesn't feel quite right.headscratch.gif

Let me add, and this is probably important, this "project" isn't meant to be framed. The concept is for them to be Float Mounted without a frame. I have discovered the impact or "pop" is completely different when viewed from a distance.

And the experiment continues!

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in!mwink.gif
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    i love the idea - I think the placement of the box and scale of the box will also be the key to this.

The first one doesn't work because the box is too wide and/or there is too much forehead above the box.
    If you crop the image so there is just a little bit above the box then that box works better. Otherwise a more portrait orientation box works better.

In the last one- I don't think it works because the box is right at her chin. I think you must take the same approach as you do when shooting. Don't chop off parts with the box. If you make that box go a little higher on her forehead and below her chin I think it will make it significantly better.

I do like the idea though. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2012
    Bryce iPhoto automatically detects faces in you photo library so that you can easily find all photos with that person. It works amazing well even with age regression/progression ...
    When it carries out this task it actually highlights faces within the frame much in the manner of the effect you've created :D

PS...I don't think it stinks....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I think this is, as the kids now days say, kewl, or something like that. I think your idea would work for a photo for a upper body shot that has some background showing near the top. But then you would almost have to have the person close to dead center in the frame, or close to it, then use your box and treatment to get back to the rule of thirds, and turning it into a headshot. Also, have you tried different thickness of the box? I'm thinking maybe 2 to 3 times thicker. That would make it look close to a real frame. Just a few thoughts that ran through my head when I saw these. I can't wait to see what the final image looks like when you're done trying different things.

GaryB

PS: The second one would work if there was space above her head originally, and the box was rotated, and then had the same amount of space above the box as below. I think it would look good if the top of the box would be where the top of the photo is now, and the botom of the box just below her chin. You would have to recrop the original photo so there would be the same amount of space at the top as the bottom. As a side note, you might want to add the box and treatment before cropping the original ifit was indeed cropped.
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2012
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    i love the idea - I think the placement of the box and scale of the box will also be the key to this.

The first one doesn't work because the box is too wide and/or there is too much forehead above the box.
    If you crop the image so there is just a little bit above the box then that box works better. Otherwise a more portrait orientation box works better.

In the last one- I don't think it works because the box is right at her chin. I think you must take the same approach as you do when shooting. Don't chop off parts with the box. If you make that box go a little higher on her forehead and below her chin I think it will make it significantly better.

I do like the idea though. deal.gif

Thanks, I'm continuing to work on it. I think I've found one that I like.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Bryce iPhoto automatically detects faces in you photo library so that you can easily find all photos with that person. It works amazing well even with age regression/progression ...
    When it carries out this task it actually highlights faces within the frame much in the manner of the effect you've created :D

PS...I don't think it stinks....

Laughing.gif, Whew!

Thanks for the info on iPhoto!
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    I think this is, as the kids now days say, kewl, or something like that. I think your idea would work for a photo for a upper body shot that has some background showing near the top. But then you would almost have to have the person close to dead center in the frame, or close to it, then use your box and treatment to get back to the rule of thirds, and turning it into a headshot. Also, have you tried different thickness of the box? I'm thinking maybe 2 to 3 times thicker. That would make it look close to a real frame. Just a few thoughts that ran through my head when I saw these. I can't wait to see what the final image looks like when you're done trying different things.

GaryB

PS: The second one would work if there was space above her head originally, and the box was rotated, and then had the same amount of space above the box as below. I think it would look good if the top of the box would be where the top of the photo is now, and the botom of the box just below her chin. You would have to recrop the original photo so there would be the same amount of space at the top as the bottom. As a side note, you might want to add the box and treatment before cropping the original ifit was indeed cropped.

Thanks Gary.

Here is the latest one I played with. I think I'm happy with this. Not sure about adding the text, but I threw it in for the heck of it.

WEBIsis-52WTEXT-L.jpg
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    The last one looks great and could be used for senior portraits. Leave off the date and it could be used for other purposes. If you eliminate the text altogether, then I would crop the right side to have the same space outside the box as the left side. Have you tried using double lines for the box? I think if you try that, I would make the inner line bigger than the outer one.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    First thing that struck me when I saw the first photos was the way the face was so centered. I don't like it. Not the effect that I dislike but the way the face is framed.

For instance, I like the way this one is framed. I think if there were more outside this frame and matted out, it would be nice. I guess the inner frame separates the outer frame completely and I dont like the way the image inside is perfectly centered.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    I really like what you did with the last wide shot you posted...very cool.
    Yo soy Reynaldo