Video of live band?

DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited April 15, 2012 in Video
I'm gonna be shooting some video of my friend's band, and I wanted to do something a little more interesting than the basic youtube "set camera on tripod for whole song". Any suggestions?

Some basic info: I'm not very experienced with video, but I know enough to use the camera and struggle through an editing program. I have two cameras, a FF and crop. However, anybody I got to use the second body would be relatively inexperienced. Only lens with IS is the 70-200, otherwise I have a couple 1.8 primes.

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    Yes. Set one cam on tripod, for an establish or wide shot. Leave it to record a given song. Then take your other camera, mount a lovely prime, say 40 or 50mm and using a tripod sideways as a sorta-stedi-Cam, move about for different shots. Or just mount the 70-200 and go from another vantage point and get some individual close-ups, while the other camera takes it all in, then you can cut the close-ups or mobile cam with the wide shot cam later. Not certain but assuming you have the 5Dmk2, don't be afraid to use high ISO if needed. I shot a Dance Show recently and used ISO 3200 to 5K all night.
    tom wise
    edited April 14, 2012
    Oh, and the reason I chose to use such high ISO was to prevent me from having to worry about focus/refocus. I just dialed in a DOF @ f8 I knew would work and then kept a certain distance from the focal point.
    tom wise
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Oh yeah, should have specified: Cameras are a 60d and 5d2. So I should probably use the 60d for the stationary shot then?

Thanks for the help :)
    edited April 15, 2012
    Demian wrote: »
    Oh yeah, should have specified: Cameras are a 60d and 5d2. So I should probably use the 60d for the stationary shot then?

Thanks for the help :)

Not necessarily. really depends on your lens line up and how wide does wide have to be..ya know?
    tom wise