Options

Hunters

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
I made my field assistant stay up and by the fire until I could get this shot.

Had a horrible time with the colors, as shot without a custom white balance it came out very red, black jacket, pants, blue shirt wouldn't work for white balance, her white hat (in her hand) worked pretty good, but made it too cool, it should have had some warmth from the firelight, so I tried to layer the two image together to get just the right warmth, but I think it's still a bit too cool. I think that even with a gray card it would have been hard, since I do want it to reflect the warmth of the firelight.

C&C welcome, I did dare to reduce the amount of cats claw between the camera and the fire, but from a photo perspective I might have removed a bit more.

i-TZ7fD2g-L.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    That shot is tougher than it looks. The intensity of light from the fire and the darkness creates a high DR for 2.8

You did good, nice shot
    Rags
  • Options
    LeinadCLeinadC Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Very cool capture. I really like the lighting and shadows.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    That shot is tougher than it looks. The intensity of light from the fire and the darkness creates a high DR for 2.8

You did good, nice shot
    LeinadC wrote: »
    Very cool capture. I really like the lighting and shadows.

Thanks, I really wanted to get this in one shot, instead of blending one exposure for the constellation and one for the foreground. The figure has some slight motion blur as a result, but it's not terribly obvious at a reasonable size.

I just realized that this image totally shows up the difference in my laptops. My newer one shows a smooth sky, my older one has a dithered sky with jpg artifacts, I didn't realize they had such a different dynamic range.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.