Options

Last Minute Yearbook Shot

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in People
This young fella was informed he had two days to submit a picture to the yearbook staff or not be included. Bryce to the rescue.

It was supposed to be done on a light blue background. I don't have one and frankly I don't think I ever will. Light blue reminds me of school pictures. But, I guess when you get right down to it, that's what a yearbook picture is. Oh well, he'll stand out from the crowd.

I've been playing with rim lighting as of late. This was shot with a standard loop set up with a reflector and a touch of rim light opposite of the main and slightly behind the subject.

Thoughts and opinions? Does the rim light do nice things to this or does it detract?

webDSC2387-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Seriously nice work, sir!!! He will certainly stand out in a very good way!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Thanks Loads Andrew!

I guess I'll chalk you up as liking the rim light.mwink.gif
  • Options
    Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    I dont even know what rim light is. I generally can care less for pictures of guys also. That's just the way I am. This one really has an impact though. I love the posture, the suit, the background. It's the lighting that grabbed me the moment I saw it though. Someone chose the right photographer. I think the combo of lighting as well as being shot strait at the face give a very bold look.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    This is an excellent picture!

I really like the rim light - it definitely adds to the photo. I like the positioning of your subject, it the angle of his shoulders and head fill the photo nicely.

The only thing, and it's a small nit to pick, is that the rim light on the right looks like it's a warmer color temperature than the main light - it may be distance, or a slightly different bulb? Also, the rim light casts a shadow from his hair that looks a little out of place. I wonder if the light were moved forward a little how it would change the look.
    edited April 16, 2012
    Really nice Bryce, just even out the eye catchlights. The lean is very dramatic, good stuff. If you can lasso the bkg you might be able to alter the bkg some.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Awesome! I like the rim lighting on this. Not overdone but really adds to it. Charles pointed out the difference in the catchlights. Is the difference an artifact from post-processing?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Nice portrait of a good looking kid.
    The body lean doesn't work for me....but that's just personal preference.
    I am sure he and his Mom will love it.
  • Options
    klickingkatklickingkat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Yearbook
    Great picture and good lighting, but if it doesn't conform to the backgroud of the school photographer, it won't go in yearbook. That is the policy at the school where I work and the one I worked at years ago. Needs to have the blue background (or whatever everyone else's is)photoshopped in.
    Sony A300 28-200 Tameron
    Sony A300 70-200 f/2.8 Sony
    Sony A100 75-300 4.5-5.6
    Sony A100 18-70 3.5-5.6
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    A pretty fine result. Seriously well done thumb.gif
    Michael