Options

Space Shuttle Discovery

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited April 18, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Nah, we didn't have a very good spot to view the shuttle as it was being flown around Washington, DC on its way to the Air and Space Museum Annex out at Dulles Airport. PSYCH!!!! Seemed like they were doing flybys just for us. These were taken from the roof of my office building. It was pretty cool to say the least.

On approach for 2nd flyby.
i-5XFkgCV-L.jpg

3rd flyby
i-TXdqFMX-L.jpg

Just thought that I would share. Thanks for looking.
— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 17, 2012
    That's cool! Another friend has a roof top picture as well (though camera phone).

Momentous occasion too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Had to be cool to see that. Hell yes thumb.gif Neatly photographed.
    Michael
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Aw... Discovery! The last launch of Discovery was the first and last shuttle launch I ever saw... I'll always hold a special place in my heart for that shuttle :)

1200830529_r2bzf-L.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Awesome. I saw it land once but that was 20 years ago...
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2012
    For a lot of reasons, I wish they'd re-start the shuttle program.
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Ian, I agree. I feel like we are just losing ground without a working shuttle of some kind. And on a side note, I'm also extremely disappointed that I don't have a flying car yet. ne_nau.gifD
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    I've always had an interest in the space program. I think I've watched every launch, from Gemini 1 to present, on TV. On a few of the night lauches of the shuttle, I'd watch the coverage on TV untill take-off, then run outside and watch it disappear, then run back inside and watch the rest of the coveraing the pre-launch, back when I lived in Florida. The last few, I'd watch the coverage on NASA's website. I especially liked watching them climing in and getting strapped in. I would have liked it if they had taken one of them and refitted the cargo bay area with a bunch of seats and sold short rides into space, at a price most people could afford. Maybe they will come up with something that they will be able to do this. One can only hope!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    For me, the space program has always been about discovery. Not just stellar or planetary discovery but new products or technologies. We might never have Teflon pans if it wasn't for the space program. Many other technologies and products also trickled down as a result of discovery. The space program is also responsible for encouraging so many to study the sciences and become engineers. Lots of good came from it. Lots of it intangible too.