Options

DIY Scrim

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited April 20, 2012 in People
Mods, I thought I would post this here since I mostly use this for people shooting but please feel free to move this if you think there's a better place for it in the forum.

I've found it very useful to not just have an assistant to help with shoots but to also have some various "tools" in your kit as well.
A scrim is essential for shaving off a few stops of light in bright sunlight by diffusing the suns rays and also an excellent way to tame harsh shadows. Because of the size of this scrim it has similar qualities to a large light source which produces a nice soft light.
After looking at prices for scrims I decided on building one myself for a lot less money.
Parts:
One square yard of rip stop nylon = $7.99
Schedule 40 1/2 PVC = $6.99
One good cousin who is a seamstress = free (well not entirely true, I gave her portraits)

This breaks down to a tube sized proportion for easy transport.
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    This probably fits in the Technique forum. Scrims are useful not just for people shooters. They are used in a wide variety of situations.

By the way, the best PVC lighting system I've ever seen put together is the Tinker Tubes system that Dean Collins developed. If you don't know Mr. Collins, you are really missing out. Once you know Dean, you'll realize that half the "lighting experts" teaching today are really just ripping Dean off. Here is his Tinker Tubes stuff:

http://www.software-cinema.com/training/photography/dean-collins/82/tinker-tubes-studio-sketchbook-download

The diagrams aren't always super useful, but if you get the diagrams AND his training videos you'll see how he puts these things together to build really amazing studio setups. Look at the free sample page link to get an idea of what it consists of.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Thanks so much for the link, I'll be reading up for sure.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Now that is a good idea! In my little studio I have more room on one side of the subject than the other. When it comes to shooting from the side with less room, it is much more difficult to "knock the light down a stop or two". This might be the solution I am looking for...

Cheers
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Indeed I have used it in PB situations effectively as gobo diffuser :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Had a chance to take a class from Dean....what a character......he said he always wanted to be a comedian. Also said PVC was made for photographers not plumbers.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    PVC and duct tape :D
    You can do anything with these two items.
    Yo soy Reynaldo