Options

Alice in Wonderland

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited April 20, 2012 in People
I had an opportunity to work with a local story teller / cosplayer. She was an amazing person to work with, and I am hoping to have more shoots with her once it gets warmer.

i-LCMRLwz-L.jpg

i-Fk3LfmH-L.jpg

i-2G59Djk-L.jpg

i-C2phRbq-L.jpg

i-PTBm8bg-L.jpg

i-VLxj7j7-L.jpg

i-bp5sV3r-L.jpg

thoughts?:deal
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Nice work. My faves are 2/4/7/9.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    I would love to get my hands on a full size version of number 4... I'd love to throw a little of my PP on it... Thats "post processing" ... Hehe
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    cowboydoug wrote: »
    i would love to get my hands on a full size version of number 4... I'd love to throw a little of my pp on it... Thats "post processing" ... Hehe

Ha, I had to read that twice....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I'll take this as a compliment, Doug.
    Sorry, our PP ways completely disagree in styling, and I am unsure that we should go this far.. thank you for the offer, sir.

Folks, I really could use some suggestions how to get a better pictures.. :(

Andrew, thank you :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    She looks like a delightful person to work with indeed.
    Some nice shots, I only wish the exposures where better on 1,2,4,5 and 7 as they are tad on the hot side.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    Rey, thank you for looking.
    Would you mind posting an edit of what you see as a good exposure? I am thinking I need to recalibrate my screen again :(
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    Rey, thank you for looking.
    Would you mind posting an edit of what you see as a good exposure? I am thinking I need to recalibrate my screen again :(
    Primarily I'm looking at her skin (face and arms) as well as the whites on her dress. There are hot spots present in the aforementioned images.
    On #1 for instance her nose, cheeks and arms are clipping as are some area's of her dress although the rest of the scene is nicely exposed.
    On #8 her skin is well exposed throughout.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    gotcha. thank you very much!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    I'll take this as a compliment, Doug.
    Sorry, our PP ways completely disagree in styling, and I am unsure that we should go this far.. thank you for the offer, sir.

Folks, I really could use some suggestions how to get a better pictures.. :(

Andrew, thank you :)

I certainly didn't mean to replace your PP with my PP... (how's that Rey? ...Laughing.gif) I simply meant for my own amusement ...the fantasy side of this image would be fun to see... for me... thumb.gif
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    I sort of figured that somewhat blown look was what you were going for. If you shot raw, try pulling the highlights down in LR and see if you can recover some detail there.
    #1 has really unflattering shadow patterns on the face, and her arms are much brighter than her face, so they take primary focus.
    On #7 I'd have suggested having her move her hand back a little so it didn't obscure her chin as much.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    I think these are awesome, great concept! IMO/FWIW
    #2 feels "hazy". Maybe bump the black, to knock some of that back?
    #4 and #5 would like to see the blues pumped up ever so slightly, to make her dress pop more
    #7 skin tones feel a smidgen cool, slightly hot on exposure?
    #8 is so far out, super PP work! The Cheshire cat was a great touch
    If I didn't mention an image, doesn't mean it is bad, I just thought it was good and have no critiques to offer on them. Looks like a fun shoot. Awesome control of DOF
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    thank you so very much!
    Andrew, while you are correct, and I was going for a brighter look, I do need to keep an eye out for the hot spots, so it is super helpful. the beginning of the shoot was definitely challenging - sun was high, and harsh. to the end of the shoot, it went down.. which allowed for better light.
    #7 - I absolutely agree with you, and kicking myself for not doing so. :(

Novice, #2 was my concern as well, i'm going to bump darks/contrast a wee tonight. I'm glad it wasn't only me.
    will try out all other suggestions as well! thank you very much for taking the time to write this up! I really appreciate that!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    You have some great ideas here, congrats on that. The shots do seem a bit hot however 1-2-4-5-& 7. Some of these could have been helped by someone holding a 4x4 piece of foam core over her to block the sun.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Nice series. Love #3!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You have some great ideas here, congrats on that. The shots do seem a bit hot however 1-2-4-5-& 7. Some of these could have been helped by someone holding a 4x4 piece of foam core over her to block the sun.

I made an easy to tear down and put back together scrim (3'X3') out of rip-stop nylon and pvc pipe that works super if you have an assistant with you.
    Gives you just enough diffusion for high noon shoots and large enough to easily cover a good amount of area.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Rey, I think it is safe to say we need pictures of the said set up ;)
    I should really train my second half on this who assistant part.

I will adjust the exposure tonight, hopefully.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Arseny, there is no need for photos. You simply need something large to block the sun from hitting your subject. I've used the foam core board, a reflector to block, and even a parent to "stand here" to block the sun from hitting your subject. Just place in on a direct line from the sun to your subject. It will help in the exposure, there will be a difference between your subject and the background exposure making the bkg generally hot but that is ok.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Arsney, go to the pull back thread, post #232 photo #8 and you can see a shot of mom blocking light.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Charles, I know what you're saying, definitely understand that. The problem is - I am shooting by myself, and am "Shopping" for ideas of managing the whole thing by myself. :\

Will check out those posts in a second! thank you!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Charles, I know what you're saying, definitely understand that. The problem is - I am shooting by myself, and am "Shopping" for ideas of managing the whole thing by myself. :\

Will check out those posts in a second! thank you!
    I understand your dilemma as I often shoot with only the model and using a scrim like the one I described wont be feasible without an assistant or stand of any sort and it's stands to reason that even a slight gust will take it down and send it sailing off into the distance.
    In the case where I know I am flying solo then it's strictly setting up the shoot during a time of day that is ideal for shooting in direct sunlight such as early morning or late afternoon/evening.
    I may be stating the obvious but if that's not feasible because of scheduling issues then I revert to being extra careful where I shoot, where is the sun, which way shall I face my model, is there a shaded area anywhere available and last but not least are there any reflective surfaces that can be used to my advantage such as sand or dirt?
    As much as I shoot on location I can say the these item become a part of the experience though it may seem overwhelming at first.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    yeah, I figured as much.

Quite honestly, I went completely against my usual rule, and did not scout the location prior to the shoot. Had I done that, we would not have used it - there was absolutely no place to get any shade as the bench in #1 sat in the open construction field... the tree she sits on was on the side, in a ditch, on the side of the river..

Time was also a problem as the place was 30 miles from my house (but only 5 miles from my work), so we met on a weekday, with not much time to spare.
    My Site
    My Facebook