Booming a large soft box overhead

vrvincevrvince Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited April 20, 2012 in Technique
I have a Paul Buff Einstein, 47" octagon with diffuser and fabric grid, on a Matthews Mini Matth boom, on a c-stand, with a Magic Finger at the end. I am trying to get it in beauty dish position straight overhead, and have a clear area to shoot underneath. The finger turns the Einstein 90 degrees to the boom, and it is tilted down a bit. The weight of the soft box really tests the strength of all the locks in the setup; each collar wants to twist over.
Any thoughts on making this less precarious?
i-QXHf2Rk-XL.jpg

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 5, 2012
    In a garage, why not add a ceiling support of some sort, perhaps? Maybe just a a wire or ropes to help with the weight.

A counter weight on the other end of the arm wouldn't hurt either.

More sand bags on the base of your stand.

A much larger C-arm/stand?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Are you planning on taking this rig anywhere else?
    tom wise
  • vrvincevrvince Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    The setup in garage is just a mock-up. I'll be taking it on location for school picture day shoot, and raising the c-stand higher.
    There are counterweights on the back-end of the boom. The setup as a whole is stable. It's the twist (not the bend) in the boom sections, and in the Magic Finger mount to boom stud, that are iffy. It holds, but I just don't get that warm-fuzzy feeling.
    I also have Matthews Mini Max, a bit beefier, but it's extension arm is pretty much the same as the mini-boom, collar-lock-wise.
    edited April 5, 2012
    A closer look
    A closer illustration of the twisty issue:
    i-89kJhvX-M.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    What comes to mind are Matt poles. here they are. ( B&H) You mount these between floor and ceiling. If there is no low enough ceiling, they also sell what they call a basket to mount them in like a light stand. You can run side bars off of them or even a cross bar between two of them.
    tom wise
    edited April 5, 2012
    Thanks guys!
    edited April 5, 2012
    BTW - some ideas over at http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00aERN
    Including the obvious one I overlooked of hanging the Magic Finger down, rather than up. Takes all rotational stress out. The only rotation point left is the Einstein mount itself, which is really capable.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 7, 2012
    Good to hear your solution.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Do you have to use it with the grid? If not, why not replace it with a 51" PLM with front diffusion fabric? The PLM would be seriously lighter. I have that octabox and I'm not convinced that weight was a pressing issue during the design process :(