Options

Edit in CS5 from LR4 changes image

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited April 22, 2012 in Finishing School
Can someone tell me why an image would look different in CS5 after opening from LR4 using the Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS5 function? The images are definitely different and if saved remain changed after returning to LR4. I checked for updates from CS5 and it says I'm up to date.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Check your color settings in Photoshop (make sure they are set to Preserve and all warning check boxes are on).

When examining images from these two applications, make sure you are zoomed in to 100% (1:1 in LR) and you are viewing this in Develop module.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2012
    arodney wrote: »
    Check your color settings in Photoshop (make sure they are set to Preserve and all warning check boxes are on).

When examining images from these two applications, make sure you are zoomed in to 100% (1:1 in LR) and you are viewing this in Develop module.

Ok, thanks. Did that and then realized something. I adjusted the exposure slider in Lightroom and then opened the photo in Photoshop. So it appears that a copy with Lighroom adjustments didn't open but the original did. Is this something different with Lightroom 4 or am I just doing something wrong? I seem to remember being asked what I wanted to do when opening a file after making Lightroom adjustments but this isn't happening?

By the way, I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2012
    So these documents edited in LR were not raws? You’re applying edits to TIFFs/JPEGs?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2012
    So these documents edited in LR were not raws? You’re applying edits to TIFFs/JPEGs?

They are raw files, or, actually virtual copies of the raw file. Sorry. Adjusted white balance and exposure, then right clicked and selected edit in Photoshop.

Here's the virtual copy with some minor Lightroom adjustments before opening in Photoshop :

i-FdtHKQK-L.png

Then opened the file by right clicking on the image above and selecting edit in Photoshop. It opened and, without doing anything in Photoshop, saved and exited. The result was this image :

i-RhNgvVQ-L.png

I thought that it would open in Photoshop with whatever adjustments I made in Lightroom.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2012
    Then opened the file by right clicking on the image above and selecting edit in Photoshop. It opened and, without doing anything in Photoshop, saved and exited. The result was this image :

That is what doesn’t make sense to me. IF you use the Edit in Photoshop, open (render) that data, then close without doing anything in Photoshop, there should not be any change (you did not edit). There is nothing to save. It almost sounds like you are using Edit in Photoshop on the VC, then viewing the original (non VC). It is very difficult for me to see the tiny text in the captures you’ve provided but it looks like I’m seeing two different files here.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2012
    That is what doesn’t make sense to me. IF you use the Edit in Photoshop, open (render) that data, then close without doing anything in Photoshop, there should not be any change (you did not edit). There is nothing to save. It almost sounds like you are using Edit in Photoshop on the VC, then viewing the original (non VC). It is very difficult for me to see the tiny text in the captures you’ve provided but it looks like I’m seeing two different files here.

I appreciate your patience :D. Ok, here's the VC with info displayed to see the file name better :

i-FdtHKQK-L.png

Then, right click and select edit in Photoshop.

i-SKVWP3K-L.png

When it opens I just click the x on the tab without having done anything in Photoshop and am prompted to save, which I do. You may or may not be able to tell that the image looks different in Photoshop. This has never happened to me before. And the result in LR is :

i-RhNgvVQ-L.png
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I still think something is altering the data upon open in Photoshop. I have my LR preferences for Edit In to use ProPhoto RGB and my PS color settings to use ProPhoto RGB, so the document opens from LR into Photoshop in that color space. If I close and save, the images appear to look identical in LR side by side. Since LR uses ProPhoto, it could be you are using something like sRGB but the two should still look nearly identical. When you view the Photoshop document and the LR document at the same time, do they match?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I also am using LR preference for Edit In to use ProPhoto RGB. Since you mentioned it earlier I checked in PS and found that it wasn't but it was prompting me after I set up the checkboxes. I tell it to use the embedded color space and the image opens. It is definitely being altered at that point. The PS image looks identical to the one that gets save which you can see by the histogram has been changed. I'm going to try and change my PS color setting to use Prophoto RGB, although I'm not quite sure where to do that, and try the process again. It's funny that this has never happened to me before. Been using both LR and PS for quite some time now. It happened sometime after I upgraded to LR4. I don't recall if this is the first time I've edited in PS since upgrading though.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    The PS image looks identical to the one that gets save which you can see by the histogram has been changed.

The Histogram in LR and Photoshop will not match. In LR, you are seeing ProPhoto with a 2.2 gamma curve (Melissa RGB).

If you use LR4, setup a soft proof for ProPhoto, then you get it’s actual 1.8 gamma (TRC) and it should match Photoshop’s pretty closely.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    Actually I meant after saving the photo and comparing the two photos LR histograms. Would those look the same?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Actually I meant after saving the photo and comparing the two photos LR histograms. Would those look the same?

Probably not. There is the raw data going through the engine to MelissaRGB versus ProPhoto going through the engine to MelissaRGB. I’d suspect they’d be close.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    Well ... I changed the color setting in PS to ProPhoto RGB. So now there is no message when opening a file. However the results are the same. I took some photos today that ended up as an HDR through Photomatix and saved as a tiff. From LR I made some cropping adjustment and opened the tiff in PS. Was asked if I wanted to open a copy with LR adjustments, to which I answered yes. Then closed the file from PS without doing any editing and was asked if I wanted to save the file. Did that all with the same results. Once in PS the image is noticeably different.

I'm really frustrated as I'm sure this must be something I've done. However I just can't find it. Are there some settings somewhere that tell PS to apply some modifications to the image automatically that I could have accidentally started?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I don’t know what to tell you, I can’t repeat this on my end. Everything matches.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I don’t know what to tell you, I can’t repeat this on my end. Everything matches.

Thanks for trying. I may try to contact Adobe. Need to figure this out soon.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Thought I'd pass on what I've found in case anyone else has this problem. On the Adobe forums I was able to find many others with similar troubles. Apparently it all begins by upgrading to LR4. During the time I was having these troubles I made sure my PS was up to date using the feature in the help menu and was told everything was updated. The first time I opened an image from LR4 to PS CS5 I received the following dialog which I apparently ignored.

i-2NRvCF3-L.png

Interesting that it's asking for version 7.0. If there is one I can't find it. My current version of ACR was 6.6 and is the current release. There is a release candidate 6.7 but when checking for updates through the help menu are not told this since Adobe hasn't pushed it out to everyone yet. So, I downloaded it and installed 6.7. The problem seemed to disappear and all appears right in the world again. At least it seems to my eyes that it is close as can be seen by a similar test.

i-74H3F85-L.png

I have found people posting of this problem on the internet though that claim 6.7 isn't quite compatible with all of LR4's newer features. I'm not sure if this is true or not and didn't test beyond where I'm at right now.

Thanks again for trying to help me with this as it was very frustrating. But, as I suspected, it was caused, at least in part, by me. Got to stop ignoring the messages LR4 is trying to tell me.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Also, here is the conversation at the Adobe forum for anyone interested. Apparently the message I received about ACR 7.0 will be changed to ACR 6.7 or higher when LR4.1 is released. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/993563?tstart=0
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    thats right
    LR4 uses ACR 7 , CS6 uses ACR 7 too
    CS 5 uses ACR 6

better use the beta version wile it lasts , it will expire soon , when the final version arrives