Options

Several More Ferrari GTO's

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 24, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
As I noted in a prior post, all of the GTO's ever produced remain intact to this day....almost unbelievable since these cars were all actively raced at some point. There are some Ferrari models that are more rare than the GTO, but no other model....from Ferrari or any other manufacturer....has established the beachhead these cars have in the world of high-end collectible automobiles. Many folks consider these GTO's to be the most beautiful things on 4 wheels. I'm one of those folks.

I love any Ferrari all done up in Ferrari red. But you tell me....is not this following GTO the most gorgeous thing you've ever seen? This is a 1962 model. Chassis # 3387. It is the second GTO produced and is often referred to as being the second prototype for the model. It had a storied racing career....among it's triumphs was finishing first in class, and second overall, at Sebring.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-250-X3.jpg

This next car is quite interesting. It is also a 1962 model....chassis # 4091....that was converted to the looks of those GTO's produced in 1964. In its first incarnation, this car had the body of a Series I GTO....looking very much like the blue GTO above. For the 1964 model run of the GTO, Ferrari elected to make a significant change to the body styling. Instead of the long, flowing rear-roof line, the 1964 models received this much shorter rear-roof treatment. The 1964 model was also slightly lower and slightly wider. The factory produced 3 new 1964 models. However, 4 owners of GTO's that had the earlier body style elected to return their cars to Ferrari to have the newer style 1964 body fitted to their cars. The car you see here is one of those 4 that had the new body installed.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-242-X3.jpg

I've spent a little time under the hoods of cars myself. However, keeping the six 2-barrel carbs on these GTO's all in sync, is a job I wouldn't want to tackle. The race technicians, though, probably were pretty adept at doing that.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-235-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    N3QWN3QW Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Thanks for sharing your passion with us. Lots of interesting info.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    More great shots and info from my favorite automotive photographer! Nicely done, Tom!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 21, 2012
    thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Beautiful cars! I am kind of partial to the the more recent model . Great images Tom, they have inspired me to look forward to some more car shows this new season . Thank you for sharing them and for the history. I was also wondering if you use a polarizer ?
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2012
    N3QW wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your passion with us. Lots of interesting info.

I'm glad you enjoy seeing these fine cars. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    More great shots and info from my favorite automotive photographer! Nicely done, Tom!

You're way too kind, Lauren.

You take care of yourself,

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    thumb.gif

Thanks again, Ian, for the visit. I wish you could hear one of these things when it fires up. It will stir a man's soul.

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Beautiful cars! I am kind of partial to the the more recent model . Great images Tom, they have inspired me to look forward to some more car shows this new season . Thank you for sharing them and for the history. I was also wondering if you use a polarizer ?

Thank you for the kind words. I love to share this stuff with people who enjoy the cars as much as I do. You, yourself, have a keen eye and I'll be looking forward to your work with cars. I ALWAYS use a polarizer....way too many reflections bouncing around to not do so. I also use a monopod most of the time. With rare exceptions, almost all of my show work is done with a Tokina 20-35 mm F 2.8 ATX Pro lens.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Beautiful cars and again you have imaged them well in the environment they are shared thumb.gif

Nice vibrant color in the first and 3rd. Cloud cover looks to have taken care of your chance getting same wonderful thing occur in 2. Happens yes :D

The blue looks really nice on the car and a great job on the red for image 3 also. We know how tough red can be and am certain we have both spoke to that a bit awhile back. Perhaps shooting raw + small, a change for me, will alleviate all the fits red has given over time, like magic or something.

Finally got the chance to read further in addition to your detailed notes. And again I get the benefit of doing so. Man, it would have been nice to have been aware of these things oh so many years ago. Again with the "happens yes" lol3.gif Least I can know better whats going on now. Better late than never.
    This list from Wiki, for me, is interesting. Top Sports Cars. And more Ferrari GTO from Wiki.
    Heck.... Triumph didn't make the list. The Jag only mentioned once though it too made the all time list. My little 73' GT6 MKIII was low rent? :cry I was blissfully unaware coming in at $14,500 less in asking price. VW Rabbit GTI gets a nod headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifAnyways, all interesting.
    Michael
  • Options
    speedracer04speedracer04 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Thank you for sharing the photos, I love the LM's.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Beautiful cars and again you have imaged them well in the environment they are shared thumb.gif

Nice vibrant color in the first and 3rd. Cloud cover looks to have taken care of your chance getting same wonderful thing occur in 2. Happens yes :D

The blue looks really nice on the car and a great job on the red for image 3 also. We know how tough red can be and am certain we have both spoke to that a bit awhile back. Perhaps shooting raw + small, a change for me, will alleviate all the fits red has given over time, like magic or something.

Finally got the chance to read further in addition to your detailed notes. And again I get the benefit of doing so. Man, it would have been nice to have been aware of these things oh so many years ago. Again with the "happens yes" lol3.gif Least I can know better whats going on now. Better late than never.
    This list from Wiki, for me, is interesting. Top Sports Cars. And more Ferrari GTO from Wiki.
    Heck.... Triumph didn't make the list. The Jag only mentioned once though it too made the all time list. My little 73' GT6 MKIII was low rent? :cry I was blissfully unaware coming in at $14,500 less in asking price. VW Rabbit GTI gets a nod headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifAnyways, all interesting.

Damn cloud covers that creep in on you....got to keep an eye on those boogers.:D The red you see on that second car is, however, a very subdued red. It has nowhere near the vibrancy of the traditional Ferrari red you see on the other GTO's.

I had a 1983 VW GTI...the first year VW brought them over to the U.S. My wife claimed that I just bought the thing to keep from putting miles on my BMW. Truth is, that little GTI was way more fun to drive than the Beemer.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2012
    Thank you for sharing the photos, I love the LM's.

Thanks for the visit. You can certainly see the styling influence of the LM on the '64 GTO. Beautiful car.

Tom
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    I was talking to a local professional photographer who does
    car shots at shows. It's not his only source of income, but
    he says he does all right with it selling prints.

It surprised me, but he says the owners of the vehicles
    seldom buy his photos. It's the car fans who do. They
    want a blow-up of some car that means something to them.

He doesn't include people in his shots. He photoshops the
    people out and drops in backgrounds that suit the car.

You'd be a natural at this.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/