Scarlet (not Johansen)

SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited April 28, 2012 in People
Been away from this forum forever, and finally got the chance to do a little creative shooting today. Was wondering what people think of this.

MER2-XL.jpg

I popped the hair a bit to bring out the color, dropped the background into grey, and gave it a little blur to focus her more. The shot wasn't posed, these were witting candids. I have a couple more, but let's start here. I need to find my muse, and my edge, again.
Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Personally I've never been a huge fan of selective color even if the reason is to try and bring focus to your subject. Further, if you are going for editorial style or street photography I'd like to see more of the scene so that a story can be "read" by looking at the image.
    From the tight crop here it's really a bit static and quite frankly makes me think of a young lady who is either bored or perhaps daydreaming.
    I encourage to to keep shooting though until you find your "muse" :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Thank you for the feedback. Like I said, these weren't exactly planned out, but I thought of bringing the camera hoping I could dip my toe back in the water.

She was, indeed, daydreaming a little - just looking out over the river, relaxing. Lost in thought.
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    It's funny . . . It didn't immediately register that you'd greyed out the BG. I think it's quite effective.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    It's funny . . . It didn't immediately register that you'd greyed out the BG. I think it's quite effective.

Thank you. It helps that the original background was mostly grey to start with, but I wanted to subdue it further.

Here's the original, straight from the camera:

i-PxZ4PwP-XL.jpg
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    I'm with John on the bkg, didn't even notice it but do like it. When photographing you have to have purpose and shoot or create for that purpose. As a portrait I've got some problems with the hot ear, the crushed cheek by the hand, hair all over the place and hot knuckles, but that is if you were trying to create a classic portrait. If trying for a street shot then agreed a bit more of the background to tie it in.

However as a general capture of a lovely lady I do like it as is. It's a comfortable shot liken to a lazy boy recliner. "Don't care what it looks like it just feels right."