Options

How to improve these?

jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited October 10, 2005 in People
(sorry if posted in the wrong section, please move if so)

Ok - I want to get better at processing and I seem to learn better from examples than just reading about how to do something.

I'd like to print these out, but want to make sure theres nothing that should/could be done to make them as good as they can be. I've got elements 2.0 - and curves still = greek to me, mostly due to a lack of time but Ill get to reading the tutorials I promise!

Welcome all opinions - thanks!

35480158-M.jpg

35480142-M.jpg

35480135-M.jpg
Jefy Mathew

Comments

• Options
    debtoinedebtoine Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    jmathew wrote:

Ok - I want to get better at processing and I seem to learn better from examples than just reading about how to do something.

I'd like to print these out, but want to make sure theres nothing that should/could be done to make them as good as they can be. I've got elements 2.0 - and curves still = greek to me, mostly due to a lack of time but Ill get to reading the tutorials I promise!

35480158-M.jpg

35480142-M.jpg

35480135-M.jpg

I like them, and from a post processing point of view, I wouldn't do very much. From a composition point of view, they're a bit centered. So I would make a slightly different crop. I would also clone/heal the "flare" in the right top portion of the frame.

But, even without any changes, these are awesome pictures!

Toine
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    jmathew wrote:

jeff can you please tell us

raw or jpg? what are your in-camera settings if you are using only jpg? click the dgrin link in my sig to see how to show us the exif please...
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    exif data and info
    andy wrote:
    jeff can you please tell us

raw or jpg? what are your in-camera settings if you are using only jpg? click the dgrin link in my sig to see how to show us the exif please...

These are the embedded jpegs (shot in Raw+M-JPG) - nothing done to them at all.

ISO was 800 only cause I forgot to change it and how come the 20D doesnt show you the ISO in the viewfinder!!!! (Yes, I will blame the equipment!)

EXIF data:

http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=35480135
    http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=35480142
    http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=35480158
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    Jackie PaperJackie Paper Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    I would position them slightly more to the right - i like it when the majority of the space in the photo is in the direction the person is looking, ie if he is looking to the left (from your view) them position him more to the right side of the photo. It just makes the photo more pleasing to the eye ...
    Jackie Paper, a colorblind photographer struggling at his passion ...
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    Centering
    I know I need to quit centering everything - I think its due to using center point AF.

Appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

Was the EXIF data helpful?
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    They are cute pictures
    What are your jpeg in camera settings ie: saturation, contrast ect, they may need to be changed as these look flat. This can be adjusted by proceessing the raw files. adj. with curves and sat. Also these look like they were taken in the shade and have a blue cast, this can be adjusted with a warming filter in photoshop or it's equivalent ot with color temp adj. in PS raw converter. This can also be adj. in lab color space with curves- there are lots of discussions around regarding color correction just do a search. These are nice shots of a very cute little guy......
    .......................................Mereimage
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    comparisonboy-vi.jpg

+15 saturation, -10 brightness, +15 contrast.

Cute pictures!
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    I would say run it through auto levels and it looks pretty good. They are such sweet little pictures...I wouldn't change much. The PS auto adjustment looked fine to me.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso