Options

Advice

2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited April 27, 2012 in Weddings
Considering the wedding field and wanted to know if anyone has advice on dvd's / books / websites that might give advice in all aspects from pricing / shot list to printing

Thanks everyone
J. Tuminello
Tuminello Photography

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Hey J. Timinello! Welcome to the Wedding section of the forum. :-)

I'm sure there will be TONS of great advice given, but I just wanted to start by mentioning what I think is one of THE most important aspects out of all, one that you have already done sorta: Find a positive community that encourages you, instead of tears you down. That is one reason why I like DGrin... You can get an honestly brutal critique if you need one, but in general you can avoid haters and time-wasting nonsense. That is the biggest difference-maker in any new venture in photography.

And certainly don't just follow this advice online. Real-world friends and support are critical too. When I first got into weddings, one of the absolute best things I did was hang out regularly with a few other wedding photographers who were in my same shoes. That was by far the absolute best time I invested in pursuing my business. So there you go. Find the right support system, while you also put energy into books / websites / dvd's etc.

Another business-oriented community that I can highly recommend is the School, which is run by my good friend Becker. is one of the true masters of wedding photography as both a business and an art. It is a paid community though, but very worth it if you don't already have a super-solid foundation in business which you may already have, I don't know... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2012
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    I agree with the Kelby advice, I also use Phototraining4u which has a load more content for wedding togs wanting to get into the game, the site isn't as slick and it is UK based (if that bothers you). I would personally start with PT4U and then go Kelby but that's just me as I found if mainly wedding I soon ran out of stuff on Kelby. I subscribe to both btw.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    I would look at doing some second shooter work for other photographers it a great way to pick up experience
  • Options
    2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Thanks everyone
    Thanks everyone, I have rejoined kelby training and am attempting to get some 2nd shooter gigs

Thanks again
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography