Want to join Smugmug, but first an uploading question...

Waltzing MatildaWaltzing Matilda Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 29, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Hi, I'm interested in joining smugmug as a pro user so I can sell my photos and use my own domain name.

But I only have a 56K modem. Will I somehow be able to upload my hi res images without timing out? (I'm currently using windows but will soon switch to mac, if that makes a difference).

Also, I was wondering if smugmug galleries come up in google searches?

Thanks!

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Hi Waltzer. wave.gif

Dunno about your first question - although as a former dialup sufferer I suspect the "timed out" message originates with the computer, not the destination website. ne_nau.gif

A few Google searches of my galleries, which are not commercial, do not turn-up any hits. Don't know about commercial accounts.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    google reaches my smugmug site ...
    Hi, I'm interested in joining smugmug as a pro user so I can sell my photos and use my own domain name.

But I only have a 56K modem. Will I somehow be able to upload my hi res images without timing out? (I'm currently using windows but will soon switch to mac, if that makes a difference).

Also, I was wondering if smugmug galleries come up in google searches?

Thanks!

you should not time out. if you do, it's your isp not smugmug.

regarding google, try this:

"nyc photo workshop"

(usually my site comes up first in google ... www.moonriverphotography.com)

i get loads of people reaching me via google mwink.gif
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004

56K may or may not have problems timing out, but regardless, its speed is insufficient for uploading any quantity of high-resolution images.

If you're going to be a pro user, you really need to invest in a DSL or cable modem as even serious amateurs do. With DSL/Cable prices coming down to $30-40/mo, it's really not worth the $15-20 you may save a month on dialup waiting hours (really) for just a few high-resolution photos to upload.

Here's a Smugmug help link on upload speeds .

So assume you shoot a "roll" of 40 images on your high-end 3MP camera. With a 56K modem it'd take an hour to upload vs. 25 minutes. And with prosumer/pro cameras w/ 6MP, you can double those numbers and it isn't pretty.

--Darryl
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    of course darryl you are right... but maybe high speed isn't availalble to matilda ... there are places where it's hard to come by.

darryl wrote:
    56K may or may not have problems timing out, but regardless, its speed is insufficient for uploading any quantity of high-resolution images.

If you're going to be a pro user, you really need to invest in a DSL or cable modem as even serious amateurs do. With DSL/Cable prices coming down to $30-40/mo, it's really not worth the $15-20 you may save a month on dialup waiting hours (really) for just a few high-resolution photos to upload.

Here's a Smugmug help link on upload speeds .

So assume you shoot a "roll" of 40 images on your high-end 3MP camera. With a 56K modem it'd take an hour to upload vs. 25 minutes. And with prosumer/pro cameras w/ 6MP, you can double those numbers and it isn't pretty.

--Darryl
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Yup, google works.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 27, 2004
    We do our best to help Google find your galleries, but it's a tough challenge because there are so many web pages out there and you'd really like to come up in the top 10 or so.

The things that help most are what you name your galleries, but photo captions help too.

We don't turn over private galleries to Google for linking.
  • Waltzing MatildaWaltzing Matilda Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2004
    Thanks for the responses!

I suppose I'll have to eventually join the 21st century and get a fast internet connection... hope to be able to get my smugmug acct soon, looks like a great website you have : )