Options

Tripod Height

DelbeanDelbean Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 8, 2012 in Accessories
What tripod height should I be looking for if my height is 63 in? I don't really need (or want) a long center column. How much do I add if buying a separate ball head? And if I look at a kit, what height should I be looking for? I am not able to go and look at them in a store (there are none nearby me) so I am looking at the specs in a catalog and online.

Using a D7000 body.

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    For your height, any tripod would be plenty tall enough except for maybe some really cheap ones. As far as a ballhead and camera on top goes, I'd say add a good 8-10" from the top of the tripod mount to the viewfinder on your D7000. If you're going to use a pan/tilt type head, it won't be quite as tall. This is the tripod I ended up going with, and a Sirui ballhead. You can see the specs on the link there, and it works comfortable at my height which is about 5'6", and it can also extend a fair bit taller. This one does have a center column, but you can keep it collapsed.

Fully extended (minus center column), if I were able to mount my camera directly to the tripod legs, would be about perfect for my use. This I would say is roughly 62" from the ground to the viewfinder. However, add in the ballhead and it is too tall for my use. So I have to keep one section of the legs a little shorter.

While this may not be all that informative for you, perhaps it will give some insight on what to look for!
  • Options
    DelbeanDelbean Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Thanks Z. I am also liking the Sirui products, but again, need to figure out how high it should be based on specs...
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Anything with a max height of 55" would be more than tall enough. I wouldn't go any shorter than a 50" max height though.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    I just bought the Sirui travel tripod yesterday from B&H. Can't wait to test it out later, I'm 65" and it seems just right maxed out. If you really want to check things out, go into NYC one day and hit B&H and Adorama, you won"t regret it. Just remember they are closed Friday afternoon and Saturday's.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com