Options

A few butterfly macros

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
edited October 10, 2005 in Holy Macro
The other weekend I headed out to the Melbourne Zoo with a few other photogs from another site.

About the only decent shots I got were in the Butterfly house. Here's a few taken with Sony DSC-F717 and 250D/500D.
39426994-M.jpg

39426913-M.jpg

All comments welcome.

Cheers,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    Jackie PaperJackie Paper Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    I've always found the proboscis of a butterfly rather weird, and the hexagon in the bottom shot's eye is quite interesting ....

Thanks for sharing :)
    Jackie Paper, a colorblind photographer struggling at his passion ...
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Hi there David
    devbobo wrote:
    The other weekend I headed out to the Melbourne Zoo with a few other photogs from another site.

About the only decent shots I got were in the Butterfly house. Here's a few taken with Sony DSC-F717 and 250D/500D.
    All comments welcome.
    Cheers,

David
    That's where I wanna go, but this weather is sucking big time isn't it.
    I've only been to the Melbourne Zoo once since I got my Canon Gear, and stuffed up when I accidently changed a setting and didn't realize it till I got home.......I have since gotten to know my equipment a whole lot better than the day we went to the Melbourne Zoo, and I'm ready to go back for a second go at photographing bugs and Primates.

I love the butterfly enclosure it's really amazing isn't it.
    Your second butterfly......I had trouble shooting that same kind at the Zoo, I just couldn't get in a good enough position to get where I wanted to be to shoot it, I did learn that using an external flash was the way to go.

Good job David......... I love Butterflies....... Skippy (Australia
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Hi Jackie,

I was also surprised by the hexagon in the eye, it's caused by the flash from my camera.

Thanks for your comments.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    That's where I wanna go, but this weather is sucking big time isn't it.
    I've only been to the Melbourne Zoo once since I got my Canon Gear, and stuffed up when I accidently changed a setting and didn't realize it till I got home.......I have since gotten to know my equipment a whole lot better than the day we went to the Melbourne Zoo, and I'm ready to go back for a second go at photographing bugs and Primates.

I love the butterfly enclosure it's really amazing isn't it.
    Your second butterfly......I had trouble shooting that same kind at the Zoo, I just couldn't get in a good enough position to get where I wanted to be to shoot it, I did learn that using an external flash was the way to go.

Good job David......... I love Butterflies....... Skippy (Australia
    Hey Skip,

Yeah I know what you mean about the weather, but I think things are starting to turn around. I was kinda disappointed in the zoo. Except for the Butterfly enclosure, I didn't get many good shots, but I guess it's always going to be a hit and miss thing.

The funny thing i find with the butterfly house is, I plan that I am going to use my tripod to try to take some really good shots, but once I get in there I run around chasing butterflies like an idiot :D

Now that i have a 20D, i want to get a good macro, but i want to see the difference between 100mm f/2.8 and 180mm f/3.5L. However for the moment I will have to live with my 50mm f/1.4 and 250D/500D.

Thanks for your comments.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos